Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Big Dog

Default Dog coat types

Do ALL sporting breeds have a smelly coat? It is because they are oily, right?

My border collie/samoyed mix has no coat smell and rarely gets bathed. I really appreciate that quality. I am guessing that the northern breeds are not as oily a coat so don't smell? Correct me if I am wrong.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie

Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Puppy Dog

Well it took my Husky almost 4 years to build a noticable smell. His hair clogs up the drains too much and Roto Rooter would be out here frequently if we bathed him regularly.
My Weim gets very smelly all the time. Has a lot of dander and wax in his ears.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

My Goldens never had an odor, but my cousin's Brittanys did. I wonder about Chesapeakes , as I notice Ollie sure doesn't smell like a Golden !! Chessie owners ???

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Some sporting breeds do, others don't. Almost all Chessies and Flat-Coats I've been around have a pretty strong doggy-odour. Tollers don't seem to, nor do Labs or Goldens. I'm not really sure though, as I'm just basing this on my experiences.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Show Dog

My Chessies don't smell. I've heard they were supposed to and that they would leave oily residue where they rested. But they don't smell any "doggier" than any other dogs I've lived with. Jasmine sleeps on my silk comforter, and the only residue she leaves is drool! I only wash them once a month or so, because excessive bathing is supposed to be bad for their coats. They do swim almost daily and get cold water rinses afterwards.

*edit* Indy is very poorly bred and has a very lab-like coat. Jasmine loves good smelling things. Instead of rolling in poop like most "normal" dogs, she prefers Bounce dryer sheets, lemons, my neck after I've just sprayed perfume. So maybe they're just not the norm.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Thanks !!! Ollie doesn't smell bad ... it's just that my goldens only had an odor with ear problems. BTW ... I don't see anymore oil issues on walls other than what I was used to . My kitchen floors are cleaner though as Ollie never drools ! My Golden's never had hanging strings ... just salivated when I was preparing food .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-03-2006, 09:08 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I've never heard that about sporting breeds honestly . . .
Maddie definitely doesn't smell... but some Cocker's do *shrugs*

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Active Pup

Hi,
My sibes(Miertuc and Anuk),mal (Seleey),Gsd (Kaleasha) and Gsdx Sibe (Akila)don't smell, but my rotti(Leah)does! well that's dog's for you!

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 PM
The dog is never wrong!

None of my Huskies smell, and they live outside. Ok, take that back, they smell, but its a nice smell. Combination of cedar chips, nylon (from their collars), and wood. Its comforting. (Vet was kinda surprised at that. "She's a bit dusty- but she doesnt even smell!!") I love that they're basically self cleaning dogs. The doxie on the other hand gets stinky pretty fast, and she needs a bath about every 6 weeks. (Sooner if she finds some poop )
Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 AM
I Love My Belgian

Most of the goldens that come into my work smell terrible, especially around the head/neck. It's a very distinct smell, in the front room people always say "they must be blowdrying a golden back there." The only labs that ever smell are the ones that go swimming. The tollers that come in don't usually smell unless they've been camping. We don't get enough of the other retrevers for me to know how they usually smell.

I have to say the worst smelling sporting breed that comes in are the cockers -- it's definatly not their fault, they have so many skin problems and ear infections. The other spaniels don't usually smell.