Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

Default Hand Signal Work (vids) *2

I've been super bored today, it's been raining all day, and the dogs are going stir crazy!

We've been using hand signals from the very beginning for sit/down and a few months ago I started with come. Just today, for the first time, minutes before taking the vid, I introduced the "stand" signal (from head on as opposed to in heel position). We've been working on the back signal from head on for maybe two or three weeks as well.

So, in both vids, when she sits/downs/stands/comes (I think I do call her to come in the first one because I was so happy with her though) I did not use my voice at all. Purely hand signals.

We're working on it from a distance now, so turn your volume down, she got a few very firm "NO" and "WRONGS" for creeping forward from the down to sit.

And no, I don't normally walk like that, but I'm wearing Brent's sandals because of the wet, muddy paw prints that are running through my house! ROFL

Oh, and the reason I try to look so formal, is it's being beaten into me by my trainer. The whole "This is your retrieve on flat, are you ready?" "Ready" LOL

It's kind of a bit embarassing sometimes, the switch from just "pet training" to "show obedience" training... All the technicalities and such! ROFL

So this is our first go at it:
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t=HPIM1561.flv

The second is coming...

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...t=HPIM1560.flv
Old 09-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Good Job Roxy (and you too )
Old 09-03-2006, 03:41 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Woohoo! I just love Roxy!

We use hand signals also and sometimes Buddy responds better to those than words (boys, sheesh).

Very impressed though, good girl Roxy and err, Cadence!

Old 09-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

awww what a good girl Roxy is!!!
Great videos!

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Top Dog

Nice work!

It's interesting that your down signal is putting your hand up in the air- where did you get that from, is that some kind of formal OB signal or just something that worked for you? All I do is point to the ground, lol. For come I bring my hand from my side to a "pledge of allegience" position across my chest. For sit, a closed fist straight out in front of me. Stay is just an open outstretched hand, like you'd use for a stop signal. Whatever works, works though. My trainer uses an open hand brought up from low to about shoulder level for sit, but we'd already been using the closed fist (it worked great for Bruzer who is highly food motivated- he thought there was a treat in there) so he said not to change it.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Very nice! Well done. What a sweet, willing dog.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

Dan-

We use all the formal obedience hand signals, I used to point to the ground too, but the bigger the signal the better, especially when doing purely hand signals from a distance, because just pointing to the ground could easily be confused with something else, like perhaps the stand from head on.

down- Hand straight up, palm forward, brought down straight by the leg, palm facing back (from far away (20feet or more) this signal is very clear, no other signal works like this. (drop on recall)

sit-hand down, straight by the leg, palm forward, brought up, until the forearm is straight out from the body

come- arm in a very large sweeping motion, across the chest

stand from head on- hand in front of the body, waist level, palm forward, moving slowly back until it's beside the waist

Stay (from heel)- is my right hand in front of her face

Wait (from heel)- is my left hand in front of her face

Thanks everyone! We've really been working on this. It's so hard, with the down to sit. The down from afar is easy, because of the drop on recall work. But from the down to sit, she always wants to creep forward.