Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Question Husky's

Every single husky I have ever bathed has absolutley hated the bath/water. I mean every single one. I was just thinking is this generally a breed thing or just these dogs?

It's weird because I haven't come across another breed I've bathed that almost all of them hate the water and these husky's hate the bath with a passion. I have bathed a lot of them since they seem to come in constantly.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Maybe Chloe is a husky in german shepherd / lab body Sorry BB I have no idea, every dog or puppy I have ever met has liked water EXCEPT for Chloe
Old 09-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2416 View Post
Maybe Chloe is a husky in german shepherd / lab body Sorry BB I have no idea, every dog or puppy I have ever met has liked water EXCEPT for Chloe
lol Most of the dogs I come across at the humane society don't really like the bath in that setting, but all of the husky's I have bathed have hated the bath with a passion and are always the hardest dogs to bath! Even the few I have met that where very good dogs have hated and struggled as much as they could with the bath.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Do they take a long time to dry out or something? My lab mix hated getting wet because the water would get trapped in her undercoat and would take forever to dry out. We didn't realize it until one day after we bathed her . . . She was outside with us in the 95 degree heat for HOURS, yet as soon as the sun went down she started shivering because her coat was still wet underneath!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
Do they take a long time to dry out or something? My lab mix hated getting wet because the water would get trapped in her undercoat and would take forever to dry out. We didn't realize it until one day after we bathed her . . . She was outside with us in the 95 degree heat for HOURS, yet as soon as the sun went down she started shivering because her coat was still wet underneath!
Not much longer then the other dogs with similair coats. They really don't take that much longer for us to dry and for the most part they don't freak out about the blow dryer either. So we can use the blow dryers and towels to dry them so generally they dry in about the same time as the other dogs. Even the dogs with heavier coats don't freak out like the husky's seem to!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

its the same with harley, he hates water!!!

but that could be from his accident in the pool wen he was a pup!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:36 PM
fastpitchchic

I have no clue, my sisters Husky loved the water. He loved to play in the kiddie pool, jump in the bath tub/ shower with you if you didn't shut the door behind you. He would even get rolled in the waves at the beach and run back for meore. We had to litterally drag him out of the water when it was time to go
Old 09-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Twin 2.0

Yeah, most of the huskies we have at work love the pool as well. But they will pitch the biggest hissy fit about taking a bath, so I think it's a mental association thing.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Snow Girl

Someone told me it''s a survival instinct. If a Husky gets wet in the arctic it could mean death when the temperatures drop so it''s natural for a Husky to want to avoid water in order to stay alive. I dunno how true this is.

I just think they''re big wussies and know they can put on a show so they do

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Puppy Dog

might just be a spitz thing.

Keeshonden hate water too, for the most part. This is ironic, as they were used to guard barges in Holland.