Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

grammy lol, how did u get 100 pups from six litters?

thats like 17 pups a litter

Old 09-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Here is a very helpful link. Has pluses and minuses to show you loss and profit.
This will help show you what it takes

www.itb.it,/canaan.icdca/Breeders/facts.htm

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

LOL!!!! My males sired 6 litters ( not my females ! ) My females had 8 litters.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 PM
First Time Momma

Ok, now I have a question.

We got Marley from an extremly highly reputable boxer breeder in our city. Now they don't show their dogs anymore, they've been breeders for almost 35 years now. They have around 15 adult dogs, and in the spring, they have at least 2 puppy pools (children swimming pools with separate litters of puppies)

But they sell out of their home, its a nice, big out in the country home, and the dogs don't seem to be unhappy.Whenever someone mentions a BYB, it makes me wonder if Tanoaks is a BYB... but I can't tell.

Anyone ever heard of Tanoaks? They are known in our city. One can simply see a boxer, and just know that its a Tanoaks by its coat, and stance and overall appearance. They also have a screening process for owners, you get interviewed by them personally. You meet all their dogs, and they prefer that you play with each pup so that you find the right one for you. They call every couple of months to see how their puppy is doing and I just felt that they were wonderful people! (They refuse to have a website. Dieter - the owner, says that it minimizes the customer/dog chemistry.)

But again, they breed out of their homes, and they have a significant number of dogs. I always wonder if BYB just means someone who breeds out of their home. Is this the case? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

A Toy Story - The Adventures of Miss Marley
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Selling dogs from your home doesnt make one a backyard breeder. It's actually preferred to kennel/yard raised pups due to lack of socialization. Basically, a BYB is in it for the wrong reason (1) money or (2) so the kids can see pups, the bitch can experience the miracle of life, etc. and (3) don't do any health testing nor prove their dogs temperament/abilities in any way.

I did a search and their name pops up alot, but I didn't find anything negative. They do have a lot of dogs though! I found this ad: http://www.dogsincanada.com/breeds/showcase/20281.html

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Top Dog

From what I understand a lot of litters, is NOT a good thing.

Firstly, it's probably because they want money $$$$ The more puppies the more moola.

Secondly, it's very hard to give each puppy enough time, when you have 20 or 30 of them!

I've been looking at breeders for the past few months, and my trainer as well as a few people on chaz have told me, anymore than 3 or 4 litters a year...... is a no no. (1 or 2, is ideal)
Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 AM
I Love My Belgian

It depends on what breed you have an how many puppies they have as well. My friend bred goldens, and even after the health testing and showing/working, she still made a hefty profit. 12 puppies, $1200 each, and being goldens they were easily sold.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Top Dog

Most people who REALLY love their dogs are scared to death to get into breeding because of all the heartbreak that it can bring.

I know I will probably end up breeding Alice when she finishes her championship and passes all her certifications, but the thought of it scares me to death. The sole reason I am breeding her is to obtain MY next show dog(s)...the thought of profit doesn't cross my mind.

If you love dogs, you will preserve and protect them, not try to profit off of them.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Top Dog

I know where they are coming from .... I loved my Goldens and litters too . But that's A LOT of dogs !!! I could never have given my own dogs or my litters justice .... even though I always had more calls for pups than what I had. I never had 2 breed able ( in my mind ) females at one time. I never bred until after 2 yrs. with all tests and never more than every other year or so , so by the time one female was 7 , she was retired and another by then was over 2yrs. and tested. IF they have more than one person putting in at least 8 to 10 hrs a day , then fine . I figured a litter of 8 to 12 pups took me at LEAST.. 1 hours a day per pup , and 3 hours a day on top of that per litter. Add to that the Mom and the rest of the dogs...... doesn't leave much time for 8 weeks !!! Add to that the new owner's visitations when you HAVE to be watching every moment. !! Yes, maybe I was too cautious and concerned ,,,, but these were pups in my care and the welfare of all my dogs came first. Don't forget ... these were family , in house dogs .... not kenneled for reproduction purposes , you really need to know the breeders well and their purpose for breeding.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

Wolf.... I can understand that ..... I could have easily sold my Goldens for $800 10 years ago ( US $ ) , but chose to sell to repeat buyers and waiting lists . Homes meant more to me than a few extra bucks .