Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Dog Breeding as a Profession

Is dog breeding profitable as a profession? What are the requirements to start this profession and what is required apart from dogs. What is a good way to estimate the cost and return in the process. Thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Who woulda thought <3

nvr mind
Old 09-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Puppy Dog

I was thinking I have some money and interests in dogs so why not breed them as a profession or a part time job to make money by doing good at it?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Breeding is not profitable in the least if you are breeding correctly. You know how puppy mills in the news are always full of ill-socialized, frightened dogs, often disease-ridden, lying in their own feces, or even lying dead in cages? That's because the only way puppy-millers can make a profit is to cut corners and cut corners and cut corners and when that happens, the dogs suffer.

A GOOD breeder will be lucky to break even on a litter. Good breeders breed as a hobby, not as a profession.

Edit: Also, good breeding takes TONS OF TIME. It's best to be present at the birth in case anything goes wrong. And what if Mother Dog decides she doesn't want to deal with these puppies once they're born? Guess who gets to bottlefeed the puppies every few hours. You lucky person! Then you have to keep an eye on the puppies as they grow older in case they get into things or swallow something harmful. The puppies need to be raised in the house, NOT some kennel outside, so that they'll be properly socialized. In addition, you have to get them used to walking on different types of materials and socialize them with different types of people. You should start rudimentary obedience training with the puppies before they go to their new homes at a minimum of twelve weeks.

Puppies are simply a lot of work and no profit.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidoo View Post
Is dog breeding profitable as a profession? What are the requirements to start this profession and what is required apart from dogs. What is a good way to estimate the cost and return in the process. Thanks
I think one should get some experience with a pet before even asking questions about breeding.

Dollar Signs are how every puppymill or byb starts.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

breeding as a profession = unhealthy dogs, damage to the canine gene pools

breeding as a hobby (responsibly) = healthy, intelligent, gorgeous dogs that make you happy, give you a sense of achievement and you know you doing good

Old 09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

READ http://www.geocities.com/stevenlecor..._Breeders.html

Old 09-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Puppy Dog

So you can be a good responsible and eventually a reputable breeder and make profits? or you think seasoned and reputable breeders can't make profits?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaidoo View Post
So you can be a good responsible and eventually a reputable breeder and make profits? or you think seasoned and reputable breeders can't make profits?
No, a reputable breeder will not make more than a pittance on breeding. Certainly not enough to live off of. Good breeders breed for the betterment of the breed and realize that they will probably be losing some money with each litter. A good breeder also must spend time "proving" the parents by showing them in dog shows . . . More time and work.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

You are lucky if you break even on what you pay to take care of and properly health check your dogs before you breed. My dogs breeders for example charges $800 for her pet dogs and $1200 for her show dogs. She does and ultrasound on the pregnant bitch to determine how many pups and if they are developing right and then you have to figure in the costs of deworming pups, shots, PRA and BAER testing which my ACD's breeder does before the pups go to there new homes and just all around care for the pregnant bitch and her pups. You shouldn't look at breeding as making profit you only do that if you do it the dirty and un-ethical way BYB or puppymiller