Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Dog fights

How do you keep two dogs from fighting?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

Depends on why they are fighting. Is it over food/treat. Favorite toy? We need more details before really offering advice.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Puppy Dog

I suppose I should give the whole story. Here goes.

My first dog was Diver, a Weimaraner. Sadly he was from a puppy mill; at the time I had no idea what happened at puppy mills. I had him for a year before getting a Siberian Husky. They were perfectly fine for a long time, getting along and having no problems. Until I believe my mom and I went on vacation and had to drop them (and the Chihuahua) off at a kennel. It was both of their first times and hadn't really been socialized because I don't really have any place to do that at. Shadow (the husky) was so frightened that the woman dragged him down the hallway with all the dogs barking at him. He was so small at the time that he had no chance. Now I feel utterly guilty about not running down the hallway and stopping the woman. He started to grow bigger and started fighting with Diver over... not really anything, just fighting. They would give each other looks and start growling then jump at each other. I guess Shadow had instinct and used to hurt Diver, I stupidly constantly jumped in and ripped them apart. Now Diver, I guess you could say he's experienced fighter now, can put Shadow on the floor but not without being incredibly scared. It's become too much of a challenge that I'm not willing to risk either of my dog getting seriously hurt or myself losing a hand. Now they do nothing together and cannot be in the same area at the same time. One is always locked up or one in the house and the other in the backyard.

Diver is a good boy, a little neurotic and seemingly autistic, he likes children and is always happy to see other dogs when walking. But Shadow hates children, hates boys, hates other dogs and really is a liability. I'm looking for the right kind of muzzle so at the very least can walk the two together without worrying about a fight breaking out. It disturbs me. I can keep them under control alone, but they lose all attention when around each other.

When at feeding time both will growl at each other if they think the other is going for their food. I feed them both locked in their cages. Sometimes when Shadow is locked up and Diver merely walks past his cage he'll growl at Diver. It's quite a task to have this situation but I love them both and are both equally sweet. Shadow is incredibly cuddly and loves his owners. And I'm worried that if either were given up that both have their drawbacks that no one will take them and would be put down.

I would like to fix this problem so that they could be normal and happy. But I'm afraid to approach this problem in the wrong way. The last time they were truly out together they got into a fight and I pulled Shadow's jaws from Diver's ear, Diver inadvertantly snapped and got my hand and since then I worry too much for each other's safety.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

I think this situation is much to much to deal with over the Internet. You need the help of a reputable certified behaviorist who uses compassion and humane methods, not one who uses harsh punishment and force. It sounds like a really difficult thing to live with. I hate to say it, but I couldn't live like that, always worrying about somoene leaving a door open and having a horrendous fight. I'm so sorry you're having this problem. Some dogs just don't get along at all, just like some people. If Shadow is that dangerous, a risk to children or other people, if he were my dog, I'd have to think seriously about putting him down. I just couldn't deal with it. But maybe you can get help from a good behaviorist.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Puppy Dog

It is actually pretty sad. Children love him and want to pet him all the time. He's like a huge fluffy stuffed animal but it's just not safe. I'm looking into getting a muzzle like a greyhound's just so even if he tried to do something bad he couldn't. I figured it might just be a start to socializing him without having fur fly.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Active Pup

So none of them are fixed.. could you tell us the age of both dogs please.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Diver is about 4. Shadow is 3.

Diver was fixed young. But I had hoped that Shadow would be able to breed but after he was so aggressive I thought getting him fixed would calm him. Now I think he's got too much testosterone for it to matter.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

Please don't even think about breeding this dog. His temperament would be passed on through his genes....a terrible thing to do. If you haven't neutred this dog, it should be done asap. Those hormones will disappear when he's neutered and some of his behavior problems, those in relation to the hormones could be improved to some extent. He'd be easier to manage and the risk of him escaping and inpregnating another dog would be gone. This is not a dog to leave intact.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Oh... sorry. He is already fixed and has been for a while. Still very aggressive.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Active Pup

Right, any dog have UP to 3rd years of age to find them self, it takes 3 year for them to actually become "adult" and stay in one face.
The go through 3 stages in life (males that is) and as one is not fixed he is more likely to try to take over the Alpha role or going over at least the other dogs position in the pack.

I know that we all use different methods, but I would check to see who is the leader of them two, then make him awear that you know that, YOU are the alpha first and all, but of them two, sometimes they need a bit of help.
Example, take the dog out that is higer up before the other one, feed the higer one first let the other wait.

Fixing Shadow will not guarantee that he will calm down, and also it might take up to 6 months before you see any signs.
But it might help more then it already does.

Do you do any type of work with Shadow?