Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Felurian

I had a neighbor (when I still lived in my parents' home) who used to throw fireworks over into our backyard so he could watch my 15 year old, arthritic German Shepherd jump the fence! His 8 year old actually told my mom that's why his dad said he did it . . . Poor Purdue loved to lay out in the backyard on warm summer evenings. He had a spot in the yard that soaked up the sun all day and was like a hot water bottle by evening, but this unspeakable boor spoiled it for him. He'd also egg our house, our cars, and then he'd get coked up and stand out in his front yard yelling and waving a pistol, threatening the 70+ year old man across the street sitting on his own porch, or whoever happened to catch his attention. I'd had it one night and called the police. They cruised by but didn't stop, and he hid in the bushes until they were gone.

So I called them back. They told me I'd have to come out and talk to them and tell them what happened if they stopped. I couldn't believe it! That was what they were supposed to do in the first place! I'd been waiting on them on the front porch! When they came back by and got out of the cruiser, the neighbor went nuts and ran across his yard at them, yelling that WE were causing problems. They told him to go back up on his front porch and wait, but he got mouthy and violent - and got hauled off. We didn't see him again for 6 months, lol! He had a farm in another county, and he packed up some of his things and left to go stay there after that. His wife and stepdaughter and son still lived there, but he rarely ever showed up there.

He's back more now, and he's made some remarks to people (including my mom) about how aggressive his white German Shepherds are. Funny, he's stopped that and keeps them in the back yard now.

I've been making a habit of taking Shiva and Kharma with me to my Mom's. [evil snicker] It's really funny because the Hispanic family that rents a house across the street knows what they are . . . they smile and tell me my dogs are grande - but they do NOT want to be close to them. They're nice people, but the respect they accord the girls impresses the bad neighbor no end!

But, back to you, Becca! That probably was calculated to annoy you. I hope that mud dries up enough for your hubby to deal with the fence woes before too long - before you completely lose your mind . . . At least you've always got friends here you can rant away to.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogolove
Imagine if we could all live in the same neighborhood. That would definitely be a dog friendly neighborhood. We could put one huge fence around the outside of the neighborhood to keep our dogs (and cats and any other critters) safe and inside and all the non-animal people out. Because since we all have pets, no one would go speeding through (hopefully).

(Sigh) What a happy place that could be, for us and our dogs.
I think that is the best idea I've ever heard!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_4321
Fact is, lots of dogs jump agaisnt fences when they see something on the other side, which is what she does only his fence cant hold her.
Beulah does the same thing. If there is something that she wants to see on the other side of the fence, she will jump it. I also have a six foot privacy fence. As for Homelessdog, you didn't have to be so rude.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_4321
I'm not blaming him for the fence problem, this is truely our problem. No my beef with him yesterday was the fact he was letting his dogs out one at a time and all day long until dark. He has never done this before, and he knows I wont let Princess out if his dogs are out. I just thought it was rude of him.
If you think he's doing this to spite you then I would just let Princess out on a tie out and let her bark as much as she wants at the neighbor's dogs.

He might have a valid reason for letting them out one at a time, or he might be trying to irritate you. If he knows you that well then perhaps it would be beneficial to talk to him about it.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Dog Spoiler

I have pretty bad neighbors too. YES YES YES, finally a thread about bad neighbors. This guy = jack@$$. Spraying my dog with hoses, honking his car horns, turning up his movies loud to purposely make my dogs bark. Than he comes out to complain.

-Jon
Old 03-29-2005, 07:40 AM
mostly ignored...

Funnily enough I live in a neighborhood that doesn't want my boys here but looooves my puppy and me, so my bad neighbor stories wouldn't stem from them annoying my pup but from nasty comments made about my boys. sigh. anyway it sucks that all of you have to deal with icky people like that. So how soon can we get started on Dog Lovers Haven? I'll help with the design and I'm thinking somewhere central to all of us is a good location, somewhere with lots of trees and open fields and water to play in. It would be awesome. I'll start fundraising if anyone is serious! I'm sure even bad neighbors would help since I'm sure they would see it as a good thing that you and your "bad dog" are gone
I don't think that homeless is trying to be mean but I do think she could tone it down a little. Good points can be made with a gentler tone. It just seems like sometimes we only see our point of view and I think she (he??) is trying to let us see the neighbors. At any rate, maybe you could talk to the guy and set up a play date? I missed it if you said you don't get along. Maybe you could fence both of your yards together and solve to jumping through the fence problem? I dunno, just a (probably far too optomistic) idea.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

This neighbor is very odd. Since they've moved in next door I couldnt tell you how many times when me or the girls have been outside we'd look up and see him peaking thru a gap in the fence at us. One summer I hired a friends son to take care of my lawn, his mother decided she wanted to help him. She said they looked up and there this guy was looking thru a gap in the fence at them. So it wasnt just me or my girls seeing this. I wont bore anyone with all the things I could say about this neighbor. He's just very odd.
When the dogs all became so determined to get together to play, when this first started, I did talk to him and it was suggested the dogs be allowed to get together to play. Even though I dont like him I know he and the lady he's with are very good to their dogs. At least she is. He wouldnt even play with the idea. he said with the size different of the dogs he'd worry because dogs do get into fights (princess is bigger than his dogs). I wont tie her up in the yard. I have lived in my house for 20 years. I've seen neighbors come and go, some nice some not. Just dont think my family member should not be allowed to run in her own back yard. The only time its a problem is when all the dogs are out at the same time. Inbetween times everything is fine. His dogs go running up and down the fence, poking there noses in gaps and under it barking and excited, and Princess does the same only she's several years younger and she jumps from excitement. This is where the weakness of the fence fails. I'm tempted to walk down a couple of houses and ask that neighbor if they'd mind letting their tied up dog come over once in a while to play with Princess. They do walk the dog sometimes, not alot. Problem is dont know if letting Princess play sometimes with this dog would make her more determined than ever to get out so she could then visit that dog more, or if it'd satisfy her. I have a feeling it'd make it worse. Still might try it.
Oh by the way, what a wonderful thought of dog lovers in a neighorhood. One big fence to surround the grounds. We'll make a sign that says DOG HATERS NOT WELCOME.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnypup
Funnily enough I live in a neighborhood that doesn't want my boys here but looooves my puppy and me, so my bad neighbor stories wouldn't stem from them annoying my pup but from nasty comments made about my boys. sigh. anyway it sucks that all of you have to deal with icky people like that. So how soon can we get started on Dog Lovers Haven? I'll help with the design and I'm thinking somewhere central to all of us is a good location, somewhere with lots of trees and open fields and water to play in. It would be awesome. I'll start fundraising if anyone is serious! I'm sure even bad neighbors would help since I'm sure they would see it as a good thing that you and your "bad dog" are gone
There are another 70 acres or so available behind Charley's farm. How many of us do you think that would accomodate, lol! My Dad's a civil engineer and lays out a lot of subdivisions, roads and all the things that go with a development, so we'd have that part covered . . .

That would just drive the trailer park owners around the bend! We've already been talking about running them out by putting a pig parlor across from the park

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnypup
I don't think that homeless is trying to be mean but I do think she could tone it down a little. Good points can be made with a gentler tone. It just seems like sometimes we only see our point of view and I think she (he??) is trying to let us see the neighbors.
He. And point taken. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:07 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i ended up doing a quick painting of my evil neighbor and tacking it to a tree facing his house.did me a world of good..probably was over his head..they didn't talk to me for 12 yrs but complained about my dogs (that i pick up everyday..and never bark) they hated dogs..they called my son names and dumbed their limbs in my yard (we burned them in the Chiminea and said "hey thanks for the wood" but that probably was over their heads too..ohh i don't miss them a bit!