Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Default Neighbor is ticking me off!

Princess has had to be stuck inside nearly all day. I have taken her for a car ride and we took a walk, now it looks like it might rain. I cant let her outback when the neighbors dogs are out because she jumps at their privacy fence and breaks boards, from there she will pull them off! The boards are thin and he did no upkeep on the fence so its very brittle and warping bad.
For some reason today he's letting his dogs out one at a time so there is one outside ALL THE TIME! Everytime I open our back door one comes running to the fence barking at me, so I cant let Princess go out. I have been alittle ticked simply because I consider it to be rude of him. The least he could do is give my dog some running time. This has been going on since 10 this morning. Finally a little bit ago there was a gap where his dogs were all inside so I let Princess out. Wouldnt you know it, he let another one out! So I had to fight to get her back inside. Now I'm starting to think he's purposely doing it. He's always let all three out at the same time, and only once every few hours, this is something new. Being Easter I thought maybe they have company, maybe thats got something to do with it, nope. No company.
I'm just blowin' off steam. Just gives me more reason to believe he's a jerk.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Felurian

If it's a line fence, you can do the repairs/reconstruction and he's obligated to pay his half. Of course, it might be worth the peace of mind just to go ahead and do it and get it over with. I don't know what kind of fence it is, of course, but there's nothing wrong with putting up fence panels of your own using the existing supports. If you put the panels on the side of the supports that face into your backyard you shouldn't have to disturb the existing ones.

Good luck! I've had some awful neighbors from time to time. I always believed what Robert Frost said, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Island dweller

I love Robert Frost. That's all I have to say about that. Oh, and I agree with Renee. Fix the fence and bill him.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:11 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I told shredhead about my neighbor problem..and said just for fun i should draw the dog with a place to put a hose..then they could put it in the yard..a picture speaks a thousand words!! i put in my dog art the one i drew of my dog..looking peeved about my neighbors..i was going to cut it out of a large board and fasten to the fence, but we had the fire before i ever got it done.. wouldn't your dog look great like that..could you imagine if it was cut out..and looked just like your dog with a real disgusted tought dog look pointing right at them..maybe a shame shame gesture..geez if only we could pick our neighbors..i am not good enough for any of these people around me to even say hello..i have lived here for almost a year and take very good care of my property..if they did say hi now i would figure they aren't worth my time..just cause my house is smaller than all of theirs....one washes his dogs with cold water out of the hose on the same day they wash out their trashcans..wish they would wash themselves the same way!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

Oh we live in a town like that. Whats worse is in this town you have to have the 'right' name. If your not one of the old names of town then you dont belong. They keep saying they want the town to grow, claim to promote business yet no outsider is able to get a business off the ground in this town. Its one of them towns where everyone seems to know more about you than you know yourself. They know who is cheating on who and with who and where they meet what nights. They know when they send kids to school whose kid belongs to who, and which parents came from respectable names of town or old money. I often compare this town to Pleasantville. Everything is black and white, no color at all. And No matter what road you take leads you right back where you started, just can never get anywhere.
We've had our business about 4 years now and are planning on moving it to another town this summer. Very big possibilty of moving too. I'm ready to move, not sure my husband is. Just sad so many people judge people by the car you drive, the home you live in, and how much money your worth.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

you got that right! Same here..and i am so loveable too...i miss my old house and the good neighbors there..this street is just indifferent.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Imagine if we could all live in the same neighborhood. That would definitely be a dog friendly neighborhood. We could put one huge fence around the outside of the neighborhood to keep our dogs (and cats and any other critters) safe and inside and all the non-animal people out. Because since we all have pets, no one would go speeding through (hopefully).

(Sigh) What a happy place that could be, for us and our dogs.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Big Dog

That sounds like a problem with your dog, not his dogs.

You need to train your dog to behave when outside. Stay out with her. Keep her on a tie out if necessary. If your dog is ruining the fence, it's unreasonable to expect your neighbor to pay for any of the repairs. It doesn't sound like your neighbor is doing anything wrong to me.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

I know I have a problem with my dog! She wants to play with his dogs, they want to play with her. When this all started the dogs worked from both sides to find a way to visit. Since his fence is so poorly put together, weathered and brittle, starting to rot, Princess jumped agaisnt the fence out of excitement and broke a board. From there she tore one out. We've done repairs as it happen, and we've added to it to give it more strength in the obvious weak areas. I'm not blaming him for the fence problem, this is truely our problem. No my beef with him yesterday was the fact he was letting his dogs out one at a time and all day long until dark. He has never done this before, and he knows I wont let Princess out if his dogs are out. I just thought it was rude of him. We are going to put up a strong fence next to his but couldnt do it until it thawed out and now its nothing but mud along the fence. So until we can do that she has to have supervision outside and limited runtime, and to advoid any problems she doesnt go out when his dogs are outside. I just felt like I'm trying to do my part on this side of the fence, he could at least allow me alittle time outside with my dog. None of it had anything to do with me thinking he should fix his fence, actually he should have never allowed it to get so rotted. He should have done some upkeep on it thru the years. And my dog needs lessons on manners! Fact is, lots of dogs jump agaisnt fences when they see something on the other side, which is what she does only his fence cant hold her.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Puppy Dog

You all think you have bad neighbors?? Well let me tell you, I have the neighbors from He%$! They are the most irresponsible pet owners I've ever seen. They never keep their pets on a leash or tie them. They don't spay or neuter their pets. A few years ago they had a German Sheperd who came up on my back porch and attacked my cat and killed her. Well she didn't die right away. I made them pay the vet bill! Then their dalmation for some unknown reason started pooping on our front porch I mean like more than 10 times. I caught her in the act. One day she did it, my husband picked it up w/rubber gloves on and took it over and put it on their porch!! Then to top it all off, a couple years ago they decided to put in a sand volleyball court in their backyard 2 feet over into our property. I got into with the wife and so they moved it over 2 feet but the way it's set up there is still volleyball players in my back yard all summer long so I can't let Capone out because he barks at them the whole time. And all their drunken friends who come over to play volleyball usually bring their dogs!!!!! WTF??

We've finally had enough. When we get our income tax check, we're putting up a privacy fence.

Sorry had vent too since we were on the subject!!!!