Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 04-02-2005, 03:23 PM
Not crazy...

Unhappy Pasteurella in my guinea pig

Has anyone else had to deal with these in their rodent? My piggie Lucky has had it for a long, long time. We took her to the vet when it first appeared of course, and even time it acts up we give her medicine she eats, and medicine we put in the infected eye. It gets better for a while, then acts up again. Anyone else had to deal with this?

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 04-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Island dweller

I've never had a guinea pig. I didn't think they were rodents.

I don't know anything about pasturella in them but I will ask at Small Pet Central and see if they have any recommendations or thoughts.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Not crazy...

Ok. I just wiped her eye with boiled salt water (not still boiling of course) to disinfect it. I know it cant be cured, just treated, which is what we do. And yup, there rodents. But the pet store ones are long since domesticated, as opposed to their South American brethren, which are wild, and picking a wild one up is described as "Taking a hold of a knife by the blade". Their a main food in South America, so my dad is always joking about eating Lucky :P.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 04-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Island dweller

lol. I saw that they are from Peru which is neat. I lived in Chile and never saw one and I know they weren't eaten there.

Did you know that rabbits aren't rodents? I always tell my bf that but he still calls them rodents.

That's too bad he's sick. At least he's getting good care.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Not crazy...

Oh. Her cage is kept clean, she gets high quality guinea pig food (its their any time she wants to eat) She has an endless supply of Timothy hay, which is essental to piggies, and when she is on her medicine she gets doses of lacto bassilis (cant spell) To keep her good stomach bacteria in check, since they are killed by the medicine.

Buster, 11 weeks
Old 04-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Island dweller

Yeah. acidophilus. It's in yogurt and miso and you can buy supplements. Sounds like a lucky piggy!
Old 04-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Not crazy...

Thats her name... Lucky. My moms going back to the vet soon to refill on our meds. We have SO much animal medicine. We have tons of meds from when we foster kittens, dog meds, guinea pig meds, and we have a whole shelf full. One of our dogs is in pain? We have doggie painkillers. lol.

Buster, 11 weeks