new member - standard poodle

Ben B

Hi everyone!
Just found this forum after stumbling around the dog-chat world! lol!
Anyway, we have two dogs; a 5-yr-old doberman ("Heidi") & a 5-month-old standard poodle ("Raven"). The dobe is our agility champion & the standard was SUPPOSED to be our show dog, but I'm sneaking her out of the house daily for retriever training!

BTW, a standard poodle makes a WONDERFUL retriever, and anyone who thinks they can't be as good as a lab or golden retriever has never seen them work! I am amazed how quickly she is picking it up, and how natural it seems for her! Can't wait to take her to the field trials & compete against the labs!

Our only problem is going to be the constant grooming. My wife will get her all cleaned up for a Jr. Handler show & I'll take her out into an overgrown field or down to the lake to practice retrieving the bumpers! :))

Anyway, glad to be here & look forward to sharing stories & tips with everyone!

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Hey Welcome to the board!!

Glad to see another "show addict" on here :)

I show my belgian tervuren pup in conformation as well.

Hes gotten his Rally Novice title already and is working on getting his CD now as well as Agility Novice!

Ben B

Quick reply!!! Did you start typing before I hit the "enter" key? LOL!

Thanks & I'm glad to be here! Seems like a fun group!

Ben B

Ahh!! I REALLY would like info about confirmation. There are classes nearby & we plan on attending. We've always done "active" showing (obedience, agility, ect.) but no confirmation.

Everyone says the AKC is super-political & it is impossible to finish a dog without a pro-handler. Since Raven is dual-registered, we are thinking of trying the UKC shows, as we (my wife) will be handling her.

My daughter showed her today for the 1st time at the county fair's 4H show. She did fair for having no experience & an active pup that is half her size!

ANY handling tips/techniques/info will be GREATLY appreciated! We really want to finish this beautiful girl! And she really is! ;)

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Shes a pretty girl for sure.

I defiantely suggest taking her to some handling classes asap though.

The earlier to teach your pup to "stack" the easier it is to handle her!

Some dogs will "self-stack" if taught properly from an early age.

Riot was taught to stack starting at 4 months of age and now self stacks himself fairly nicely, with the odd foot out of place at times - but that will happen :)

But yeah, conformation clases are KEY to have! Especially with all the different movements the judge asks you to do.

Hook up with a Poodle club in your area as well!! Get to know some of the "well known" Poodle people and stick around them outside the ring and get tips from them!

When I had Riot, I was lucky enough to have the same class as the Belaign Shephard Club Head person for this region and she has handled my dog before in the ring and did well with him, until I "learned the professional ropes". It IS very political, but if you know your routine in the ring - the judge CAN place you above.

I did my very "first" pro handling for a lady from the States with her Gronendael male in the Best of Winners and best of Breed ring - He and I took BOTH and i'm still "amature" in the show ring and placed over very well known handlers! So its not just all handler! Remember that!!

Make sure you get to know how a Poodle SHOULD move and how they should Stack. I honestly dont know much about the poodle - but will have to check out them at my next show (end of Sept) and let you know as well what I learn lol

Its ALWAYS a learning experience in the ring as well! You'll always learn some neat little trick.

Also - having your girl focus on YOU in the ring is key as well. you want her to look proud of being there, stack herself with you standing infront of her for examination with a stone solid stand while the judge goes over her. Judges like it when a dog can stand firm in the ring. Wiggley little dogs that move about make it hard for a judge to correctly feel their body and how they are structured together.

Buy a bait pouch with a velcro closure on it and teach her that each time she hears that velcro sticky it means bait is coming and to "look pretty". That is a new trick I learned at Riots last show! :)

Doberluv

Welcome! Beautiful dog. That's the other breed I'm fantasizing over. LOL. I love them.

Where are pictures of your Dobe? I have a 3yr. old Doberboy named Lyric. He's my pride and joy. And a lovely girl Chihuahua, a boy Chi mix and another mix: girl....Pit, GSD, maybe something else. (don't really know)

Look forward to more stories and pictures.

Welcome! Raven is gorgeous!:)

I have 2 standards. Farley is 7 yo & Chloe is 5 yo. I think I can honestly say I'll never be without at least one of this wonderful creatures in my home. Both have their CD & Farley is training towards his CDX. Chloe has just started agility this summer and is loving it.

With her natural ability and the ease of training that I have found with standards I am sure she'll give the labs a run for their money in field trials!:)

Welcome!!!!!

Im glad you found the site... you'll be
addicted soon.. I swear :p

I have an Irish Wolfhound named Binn :D

Lovely dog :)

Toller_08

Welcome!

I adore Standard Poodles (actually, I love Poodles of all sizes) and yours is beautiful :). I am 'owned' by a Toller mix, and also live with three other dogs; a Doberman, a Rottweiler, & a Dachshund. I hope you enjoy the board.

Ben B

I'll get some great photos of my dobie up ASAP! We've got some great ones!
But right now, Raven is the focus. She's our 2nd standard (1st one broke her neck as a pup, had a surgery to "pin" her vertebrae, never healed right, & eventually had to be put down because she had a seizure that paralyzed her). They are DEFINATELY smart dogs! What amazes me is their drive!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
She gorgeous! I loved grooming our standard that we had! We had a black Standard as well. They are such awesome, smart dogs!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Raven is such a prett girl. Welcome to Chaz! I have a BC/Lab mix named Millie and a chi/?? mix named Lucy. :D

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Ben your quite right! Standards can and do make good water fowl and upland hunters. Seen quite a few this year at hunt tests
Welcome to Chaz

Members online

No members online now.