Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I think alot of breeders of hunting dogs let their pups go to new homes at seven weeks. Which would be the 49th day. The breeder of Shiloh even mentioned 49th day. Heck I don't know I was really just asking a question.

My dog Charlie stayed with his mother until 12 weeks.....from a byb at that. The "breeder" told me that the whole litter died except for one male and he was big. He said he was tired of fooling with breeding the darn things. He said he already had homes lined up for the parents of Charlie probably more byb's. But anyway he told hubby to come get him if we wanted him. He had even registered the litter...... I guess before they all started dying off. I got Charlie Jan 1, 03 so I figure they either froze to death or got layed on in the dog box.

But yes I think 10-12 weeks makes a much better dog anyway. You can tell he respects other dogs alot, and never tries to take away toys, or get in their food. He turned out to be a great dog........ He was so scared when we got him....He had never been out of the kennel.... it also had a wood floor and was filthy. He was afraid to come out... but he learned very quickly and socialization was never a problem. I think a pup that has to eat besides his mother will quickly learn not to invade space. Anyway sorry for OT rambling.

Julie.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I think alot of breeders of hunting dogs let their pups go to new homes at seven weeks. Which would be the 49th day. The breeder of Shiloh even mentioned 49th day. Heck I don't know I was really just asking a question.

My dog Charlie stayed with his mother until 12 weeks.....from a byb at that. The "breeder" told me that the whole litter died except for one male and he was big. He said he was tired of fooling with breeding the darn things. He said he already had homes lined up for the parents of Charlie probably more byb's. But anyway he told hubby to come get him if we wanted him. He had even registered the litter...... I guess before they all started dying off. I got Charlie Jan 1, 03 so I figure they either froze to death or got layed on in the dog box.

But yes I think 10-12 weeks makes a much better dog anyway. You can tell he respects other dogs alot, and never tries to take away toys, or get in their food. He turned out to be a great dog........ He was so scared when we got him....He had never been out of the kennel.... it also had a wood floor and was filthy. He was afraid to come out... but he learned very quickly and socialization was never a problem. I think a pup that has to eat besides his mother will quickly learn not to invade space. Anyway sorry for OT rambling.

Julie.
You are correct. the 49th day I couldnt remember what it meant exactly but I did remember it was in a book by Wolters I dont use much of Wolters training methods nor have I read this particular book they are referring too.
I believe you can have a well rounded pup at 8 weeks if proper socialization and realistic atmosphere is provided. Example, introductions to different terrane, puppy pen/box moved to several areas of the home, introductions to other dogs, new people, different noises ect. If these things are provided you have really outgoing pups who arent afraid of new things and have a over all good temperment. Alot of hands on work should be done with every litter.
Takes alot of time and effort but the end result is great pups. I find that the longer they stay with thier littermates the more bonded to thier siblings they become. So if I have a pup or two waiting to go home I will seperate them and only allow a limited amount of time with thier siblings.

I havent had to many knock down fights here. Actually never had one. If there is a problem its short lived and everyone is ok. I have only had to break up one fight between my females. It really was more of a growling match but I didnt like the look of where it was headed.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Active Pup

I have the same problem with my hyena! He's always getting into it with the other pets in the neighborhood, especially the baboons!

Of course, a good muzzle makes ALL the difference!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

OMG! ROFLOL!!!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Twin 2.0

Yeah, I always make sure to muzzle my hyena when it take it out too...
Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

I don't see the humor. The one with the muzzle looks very submissive--I wonder if its because the owner/poacher/handler is carrying a STICK?!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

Hyena submissive?

I don't think I could ever label a hyena as submissive Those things would probably rip you to pieces if at anytime they felt neccessary!!

Is it true that people keep them as pets?!?!?!?!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Top Dog

I see the humor, but then again....I make humor from just about anything. I'm kind of warped that way. Here we are having an intellectual discussion about dogs and all the ins and outs about their behavior and as I scroll down the page, this picture smacks me in the face. It just struck me funny. It's like....ok...so where did the dogs go?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:26 AM
No Sugar Added

Quote:
I don't think I could ever label a hyena as submissive Those things would probably rip you to pieces if at anytime they felt neccessary!!

Is it true that people keep them as pets?!?!?!?!
I saw a show on Animal Planet about people that were raising hyenas for some wildlife project to help the species. They had this one little guy since he was a baby and he was so similar to a dog it was amazing. He'd run and wrestle with his handler and snuggle with him. It was adorable. Unfortunetly he passed on from an illness, but there were other babies there that were almost equally as friendly. When they were grown the handlers could interact with them just fine.

When raised in captivity by professionals I don't think they are aggressive in a 'rip you to shreds' way. Wild yes. Pets? Not a chance.

I don't like that picture at all. Makes me sad every time I see it.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Top Dog

I didn't know people used these for pets. I thought it was some weird, staged thing for a picture. I didn't think it was a real thing. That is awful to use those wild animals for pets. Uggggg.