Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-29-2006, 10:48 AM
AmyLou4220

Default Potty Problem - very puzzling

Hello all!! I have been reading this forum for a little while but this is my first post.

We have an 8 month old Dalmation/Hound mix. We have had him for about a month and a half. We have created a potty spot in the yard for him. We dug out some grass and put a layer of sand and then a layer of stones (just like they have at his daycare).

He was going on the stones without issues. He is housebroken very well. We had one pee-pee accident with him in the house the first week we had him (our fault), but since then he has not had an accident in the house.

After he goes outside on the stones we give him lots of praise. We used to give him a treat every time he went potty outside along with the praise, but after 2 weeks, we started to treat a little less (Still tons of verbal praise though!!).

About a week ago, he started to be very apprehensive about walking onto the stones. It was almost like he was afraid of something. We can get him to stand on the stones if we lure him with treats, but he will not potty. He just stands there and looks at you. As soon as you take him off the stones and onto the grass, he will potty on the lawn. He is not having this issue at daycare. He will go potty on the stones at daycare without any problems.

After standing on the stones for a few minutes - he will try and get off the stones. He doesn't even really want to go on the stones in the first place. We have had to lure him onto the stones with treats. Once he gets on the stones - he simply will not potty.

I have no idea why he is doing this. Any ideas?

AmyLou
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Angel Chicken

Do you know of any reason he could be scared of the stones? Has he been scolded for not going on the stones?

I personally let my dog go where she pleases. She has created her own potty spot, in the back yard, along the property line, where no one really walks or plays.

Maybe you should do this with him? Let him create his own spot. He will go there, and not just go pee/poop everywhere he pleases. When he goes to his particular spot, praise the heck outta him!! But do not scold when he doesn't go to his spot. He is just trying to do what you want him to do, which is go potty outside.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:29 AM
AmyLou4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Chicken View Post
Do you know of any reason he could be scared of the stones? Has he been scolded for not going on the stones?

I personally let my dog go where she pleases. She has created her own potty spot, in the back yard, along the property line, where no one really walks or plays.

Maybe you should do this with him? Let him create his own spot. He will go there, and not just go pee/poop everywhere he pleases. When he goes to his particular spot, praise the heck outta him!! But do not scold when he doesn't go to his spot. He is just trying to do what you want him to do, which is go potty outside.
He has never been scolded for not going on the stones - he has only been praised and rewarded for going on the stones.

Letting the dog create his own potty spot is not an option. This stone area was created specifically as a potty spot. He had no problems going on it for the first 5 weeks we had him, then out of the blue he will not go on this spot.

I don't understand what happened and I do not know how to make him comfortable going on the stones again. It is a very frustrating issue.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Are the stones hot from the sun?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
AmyLou4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Are the stones hot from the sun?
Nope - it has been pretty overcast here the past week and the temp hasn't been above 80 in a while. Our last "hot spell" was a few weeks back. It was in the upper 80's. He had no problems going on the stones when it was warm and sunny out.

The first time this happend was when I took him potty in the morning when I woke up (6am).
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

Are you cleaning the spot? Rinsing it down with the hose? Maybe the smell is too strong for him and he feels like it's not clean so he doesn't want to walk on it.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

Lots of good ideas and thoughts here. I guess, if it were me, I wouldn't make an issue out of it. I'd find another spot (somewhere he does like) and throw a couple of stones on it....3 or 4. And gradually add more over time if you really want the stones. I think a designated area is good rather than letting him go all over the place because it can really wreck your yard. But maybe he needs a new area from time to time. But for whatever reason, (I wouldn't get bogged down trying to figure it out) he clearly does not like going there. I'd go with it. You don't want to ruin what a good start he has on potty training. A little compromize doesn't hurt a thing. Let us know how things work out.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
AmyLou4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Are you cleaning the spot? Rinsing it down with the hose? Maybe the smell is too strong for him and he feels like it's not clean so he doesn't want to walk on it.
We clean the spot once every other week (fyi - the potty spot is 14 feet by 8 feet). We use a 30/70 solution of bleech and water. We let that soak for 30 minutes or so and then hose it all down real good with plain water.

Obvioulsy we pick up the feces every day.

Should we clean it more often? Should we use an enzyme cleaner?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
AmyLou4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Lots of good ideas and thoughts here. I guess, if it were me, I wouldn't make an issue out of it. I'd find another spot (somewhere he does like) and throw a couple of stones on it....3 or 4. And gradually add more over time if you really want the stones. I think a designated area is good rather than letting him go all over the place because it can really wreck your yard. But maybe he needs a new area from time to time. But for whatever reason, (I wouldn't get bogged down trying to figure it out) he clearly does not like going there. I'd go with it. You don't want to ruin what a good start he has on potty training. A little compromize doesn't hurt a thing. Let us know how things work out.
Finding another spot really isn't an option. We dug out the lawn and placed the sand and rocks in this part of the yard because logistically, this is the best place for him to go.

It was a lot of work to make this potty spot, and we do not want to abandon that work. If he doesn't get comfortable using this spot again, we will have a stone patch in our yard that will be completely useless to us.

The kids play in the rest of the yard and we don't want to have to worry about them rolling in dog poo or pee when they are out there.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

I think the bleach may be what's keeping him away. It's a strong chemical. I wouldn't use bleach. Water it down really well and just pick up the poops. Dogs identify where they are "suppose" to go by the previous urine smells. That's how they know that "this" is the place to go. I'd just hose it down once in a while to keep it from smelling to humans and leave it at that. Hope it all works out.