Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

Glad to hear you found a behaviorist to help out! I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to hearing the recommendations!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Show Dog

I guess I'm just curious, what does your wife do while this is going on? What causes your dog to get so close to her and want to bite you? In most normal dogs, they may have a favorite person, but they don't try to bite the 'other'....
Old 09-02-2006, 01:15 AM
Top Dog

All I know is that is my dog bit me I would be kicking some a*s.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever View Post
All I know is that is my dog bit me I would be kicking some a*s.
Oy, does that even deserve a response?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Teri's babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinksmama View Post
I guess I'm just curious, what does your wife do while this is going on? What causes your dog to get so close to her and want to bite you? In most normal dogs, they may have a favorite person, but they don't try to bite the 'other'....
My question exactly. Does she ignore the dog for at least 15 min. upon arriving, or does she allow him to jump all over her...I'm just wondering because it seems to me that if she does this, she's enabling him to "own" her...I am DEFINITELY not an expert though. I saw that you had a behaviourist coming....Just wondering how it went and hoping you'll post a thread as to what she advised you and your wife to do.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Puppy Dog

I'll tell you what I would do.

I would also put the prong collar and leash for long control. But, just as protection have some serious work gloves on, long sleeves and jeans on in case he tries to bite. When he tries to protect and guard, growling at you I would force him to stop and push him to the ground, not letting him get up. Push him around the way he's been pushing you around. I mean yes he's got some sharp teeth but every time you've allowed this to happen it's made him feel stronger and more in control.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Oh dear! ^^^

tac1 makes a great point. If your wife allows him to "own" her, that's only making this situation worse. Tell your wife to ignore him when she comes home for 10 minutes. SHE decides when he can greet her.

But that's great that your hiring a behaviourlist. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Oops.. I'm sure that sounded strange. There's a lot I haven't told though as to why that's what I would do. This is only my 3rd post.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Push him around the way he's been pushing you around. I mean yes he's got some sharp teeth but every time you've allowed this to happen it's made him feel stronger and more in control.
Sorry. This is very bad advice. Don't get into a power struggle with your dog. You're lowering yourself to the status of a beta, not an alpha. Alphas do not use physical means to discipline. They use mental. (If you want to compare this to pack theory) Mostly, what you're doing by using force and intimidation is utterly and completely ruining your relationship with your dog and his trust in you as a benevolent leader. You will make an aggressive dog much worse by using punishment to treat aggression. It is not possible to know positively what is behind this aggression. And that is why a good, certified behaviorist who uses humane methods needs to analyze the relationships within the family and between the dog.

I don't think the OP is foolish enough to do this, but I thought I'd throw in a little cautionary statement just the same.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't know. I've seen no other control until you keep them from forcing themselves on you. The picture I gather from the situation is that the owner is the beta because of how he backs away from the dog. The dog is the aggressor becoming the alpha.

I don't know how you mean alpha's don't use physical means. When you see a wolf forcing the beta to the ground I'm pretty sure that's physical.