Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Active Pup

Default Aggressive behavior

I work from my home so my dog is with me all day.
He is passive and obedient.....but
the moment my wife walks in the door he runs to her and any command I might give him is ignored.
He stays by her and becomes aggressive if I approach him...he pulls back his lips, shows his teeth, and growls in a way that i know he means business.
I have been bitten twice so I know he's not playing.
Today his aggression escalated to where he actually advanced on me.
Any suggestions as to what is behind this and what I should be doing?

He's an 18 month old Heeler

Thank you

Last edited by Leslie; 08-28-2006 at 10:27 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

The best advice I could give you is to find a qualified behaviorist who is able to come to your home and observe your dog in both situations in an effort to come to the best way to find a resolution to the problem.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree ^^

how about leashing him so he cannot go to her when you know she's coming home, until then?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Active Pup

Have you tried putting a pinch collar and leash on him before your wife comes home. Once she's home - I would spend 10 to 15 minutes going thru basic obedience with him. Leave the collar and leash on him. Any signs of "guarding" the wife should immediately get him banished to a sin bin (small room away from you) Both you and your wife must be very firm that it's not allowed. If you are afraid because of the bite, a muzzle on him while you work with him. It will protect you both.

The worst thing to do is dismiss or consider the behavior cute. If you do this every time he show even the slightest bad behavior, FIRM NO & BANISHMENT, he will quickly learn his behavior is not tolerated.

A good behaviorist will help you identify other behaviors that you should also correct.

Good for you for trying to correct his behavior.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Twin 2.0

He's got some sort of possesive/guarding issue going on...you will need a good behaviorist. There are some on here that will be of good help, but it's very hard to correct a behavior like this over the internet where the behaviorist cannot see all the little subtle signals being passed around, most of which the people involved aren't even aware of.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenrotti View Post
Have you tried putting a pinch collar and leash on him before your wife comes home. Once she's home - I would spend 10 to 15 minutes going thru basic obedience with him. Leave the collar and leash on him. Any signs of "guarding" the wife should immediately get him banished to a sin bin (small room away from you) Both you and your wife must be very firm that it's not allowed. If you are afraid because of the bite, a muzzle on him while you work with him. It will protect you both.

The worst thing to do is dismiss or consider the behavior cute. If you do this every time he show even the slightest bad behavior, FIRM NO & BANISHMENT, he will quickly learn his behavior is not tolerated.

A good behaviorist will help you identify other behaviors that you should also correct.

Good for you for trying to correct his behavior.
I can't agree with this at all. This would basically just mask the problem behavior and the dog would learn that it shouldn't show its signs of anger, but just act on them by biting.

Do NOT punish the dog for a problem that you can't understand!

As everyone else has said, get a behaviorist ASAP.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
overdogged

i absolutely agree with herschel- putting a prong collar on this dog and punishing him is a terrible idea.

you really really need in-person help with this situation.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Dogs Made Easy!

Agreed. This dog bit you twice! There is no way anyone here can offer sound advice about what collars or techniques to use without knowing much more about the situation. To find a behavior consultant you can visit iaabc.org for a start.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Active Pup

Thank you all for your quick responses.

This morning I was in touch with a behaviorist and she will be coming to
my home, previous to my wife arriving home, to observe the complete sequence of events.

I'll be sure to post back and with an update.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I can't agree with this at all. This would basically just mask the problem behavior and the dog would learn that it shouldn't show its signs of anger, but just act on them by biting.

Do NOT punish the dog for a problem that you can't understand!

As everyone else has said, get a behaviorist ASAP.
Absolutely agree. You never want to supress behaviors like that, but get to the source. I'm so glad to hear you have someone coming to help. Way to go! I sure wish you all the best.