Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpawz View Post
It's like buying heartworm preventative if you live in a low activity zone. The odds of your dog getting heartworm are probably slim to none. But I'd buy the pills anyway just to be on the safe side.
he he. I don't use heartworm preventative on my dogs. And I know many people that do not if it's not prevolent in their area.

I spoke to my vet this spring about it, and she told me it's no worry. (My dogs aren't outside very much for long periods of time, so in THIS situation, in her professional opinion it's not a risk) So, I trust my vet, just as I trust my trainer, and other reputable dog people, that have met Hades that have told me it's not a risk right now. Just as with the heartworm preventative, with their temperments, the amounts of time they are left alone together, combined with their exercise prior to being left alone, in THIS situation right now, it's not a risk.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:24 AM
No Sugar Added

You have every right to leave them together if that's what you want. I don't think anyone is saying you're a bad owner for doing so. I think we're just concerned that IF something does happen, there won't be any warning and you may not see it untill it's too late. It happened that way for my client I mentioned. No warning for her and she never saw it coming.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:06 AM
savethebulliedbreeds

Nor do I give my dogs heartworm preventative. Same reasons as you Roxy.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:46 AM
No Sugar Added

Obviously the heartworm comment was just an example of how I was looking at the situation.

I still stand by the fact that I'd buy the pills anyway though.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Thank you everyone who posted.
I really learned a lot. I don't know what I would do if something happend to one of the dogs. You see the other half and I work during the day and the dogs are alone for about 6-8 hours. If we decide to crate Maddie, I am going to have to talk my other half into it. I tried to crate her, when they first brought her to the house but he would have none of it. he said it was unfair to her because the other two are allowed to roam. I may have to just keep sending him some fo the articles posted or found on the web.
BTW, I am one of those who live in low risk area but still give my dogs heartworm. Also, we live in a dry state so the likely hood of them getting ticks or fleas is low. But, before we go camping, I have put the ointment on their back because I would rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

First off, I didn't know they had a heart worm preventative that you put on their back! I always thought it was ingested! Wow! You learn something new everyday!

Second off, there are a number of reasons, but I would never leave Roxy and Hades alone together for 6-8 hours. That's a long time and they would be separated just because they would get into trouble TOGETHER, eating my shoes and shredding paper. [Hades is the bad influence when it comes to this, Roxy is always been allowed to roam free and never eats or destroys anything]

It's not hard to get a dog used to his crate, it just takes some time and lots of treats
Old 08-30-2006, 05:01 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

I don't give heartworm preventative here because I talked it over with my vets and they said they have never seen a case of it here yet and he has had his own practice here for 10 years.

In low risk areas I would give hearworm preventative, but I pretty much live in a no risk area lol.

Sorry to get off topic.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD View Post
First off, I didn't know they had a heart worm preventative that you put on their back! I always thought it was ingested!

No, the flea and tick stuff I put on their back...LOL
They chew their heartworm med....

Maddie is actually crate trained...It is getting my husband trained (LOL) to use the crate...We actually use babygates and give the dogs the downstairs to play in. And we puppy proof the rooms.They do not have the run of the house. My other half comes home for lunch and lets them out not every day but often. But, it seems that might change after reading these posts and websites.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Dog Show Addict

I also dont give heart worm preventative..

Mostly because its been known to kill shelties and Belgians are overly sensative to medications - so there is no need for Riot to get any MORE meds as he already gets with vaccines and his flea/tick stuff monthly.

All of our dogs are together during the day free range of the kitchen, hallway and front enterance. THey all have "their spots" in the house. Riot at the front door as "guardian", Crosbie in the kitchen scowering for food and Jada near "her" bedroom.
All they do is sleep during the day, roam around and chew on their toys. We've video taped them being alone before - it was boring to watch lol

Although Crosbie and Riot "can" get into it - this is rare and only ever observed through outdoor play gets rough.

Just do what you feel is comfortable with your dogs and your living situation!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
overdogged

ivermectin is the medication that collie breeds are sensitive to. there are heartworm medications such as interceptor which do not use ivermectin, and thus are safe for collie breeds.

and riot, leaving pit bulls together and leaving shelties and belgians together are whole different kettles of fish. neither shelties nor belgians have been bred for generations to fight other dogs to the death.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?