Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Responsible Pit owners

I need some help.
We have three dogs. Jake, 3.5 years old Lab/BC Mix, Zoie, 2.5 years old Lab/Pit mix, and our newest is Maddie, 10 months old American Stafford Terrier. They are all fixed
Our neighbors were going to take Maddie to the pound, and we asked if we could have her.
Now, Maddie and Zoie play fight all the time. Jake and Maddie are another issue. Jake is always putting Maddie in her place when she starts to get rough with Zoie (or Zoie gets rough with her), but he is always correcting Maddie. Yesterday, Jake and Maddie got into it. Their voices changed, hair was razed and teeth were shown. People around me backed off and were scared. I am really afraid there could be some serious damage done to Maddie or Jake. In the beginning Maddie would bow down when he tried to play ref or when she would try to take a ball and he would snarl at her. But now, Maddie isnít taking any of his huff.
I have been reading all kinds of stuff on line that is starting to frighten me; only have pits, no more than one pit, donít have pits with labs, never leave a pit alone with another dog, yada, yada, yada.
Has anyone had a pit with other breeds of dogs? Has anyone had this type of aggression between dogs they have raised? What helps? What should I do? Any suggestions? I want to be a responsible person and I donít want to find a new home for any of my furkids or come home to one being hurt.
Maddie wasnít really socialized when she was young, and I have started to do that slowly. And yes, Jake is the alpha, but I am beginning to think maybe Maddie is trying to become the alpha?? I donít know enough about the pack mentality. If anyone knows, please share.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Anyone?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
bullie lover

Your girl may very well try to become the alpha of your pack... also pit bulls and their cousins can become dog aggressive anywhere from 6 months to 5 years of age. I know of several pit bull owners who have multi pit households where the dogs must be seperated at all times... otherwise they will kill each other. You may want to do some research on multi pit households via either pbrc.net or badrap.org.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:11 PM
overdogged

i 100% agree with don't leave a pit bull alone with another dog and with never trust a pit bull not to fight. these are fighting dogs. they're often pretty pushy boogerheads, and they can be quick to get offended. that doesn't mean they're not fantastic dogs, it just means you need to be conscienscious and to take reasonable precautions.

this might help: http://www.badrap.org/rescue/multi_pits.cfm

how long have you had maddie?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

First, just a comment, it sounds like Maddie is starting to settle in, and wants to find a comfortable place on the pecking order. The reason she was submissive before was because she was in a new place. She's settling in now.

I don't really want to give you any advice though. It is possible seeing as the dogs are older, that it might not work. But don't take that to heart. Fighting for dominance can be very scary, yet most of the time no one even really gets injured.

I've got an APBT, male 1 year, and rott/dobe, female, almost 2.

And they get along great. Yes, they have some pecking order issues, but they are not fights about who is the boss. Most of the time, Hades has just crossed a line, and Roxy the female, is just putting him back in place.

Hades has never been "dominant" with Roxy. Just sometimes he gets a little bit excited and forgets his boundaries.

It is totally possible to successfully integrate a pitbull into any family. BUT, it's only possible, with proper training, certain personality traits etc.

I'm sorry that I don't really have any advice, but to your question: Yes, I have a pitbull, and another dog and they get along fine.

Edit (posted at same time): Are you serious elegy? You never leave your two dogs alone?

That's absolutely ridiculous to me and would not fit my lifestyle at all. Roxy and Hades are left alone together often, and there's never been a problem. Roxy goes to sleep and Hades shreds toilet paper.

I'm sure with some dogs and certain temperments that statement is true, but as always there are exceptions, so I do not agree 100%. I can't, because my "vicious pitbull" is fine with my other dog, and they are left alone often.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
bullie lover

Roxy - I have heard of other pit bull owners who used to have the same experiecnes you did where their dogs got along great and then one day they just got into a tiff while the owners were away. The owners ultimately came home to a house with the walls smudged in red.

I don't have more than one dog now, but I do plan that when i get my second dog they will ALWAYS be crated apart from each other. I'd rather be safe 100% of the time than sorry even a .1% of the time. But that's just my opinion based off of the stories i have heard and witnessed among my friends
Old 08-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

I have no worries at all. It's not a thought it my mind, and there's no reason for it to be.

I know Hades. And there is nothing dominant about this dog, plain and simple. If the day comes that he attacks Roxy, I will literally write you a check. You can have my store, my house, my boat everything.

I am that positive, positive, it's not that I trust him, or I "believe in him". I know him. And that is something as ridiculous as saying pigs fly.

I'm not saying that all pitbulls are like him, and I don't really care to argue that I should be worried that Hades is going to flip out one day and I'm going to come home to a blood ridden house.

It's just not possible. Period, end of story.

I'm sure if it never happens, you'll just say I was lucky anways. Call me lucky and stupid or it's the fact that I know my dog whichever. Does not change the fact that Hades is the most submissive dog period, let alone pitbull, that I have ever encountered.

Anyone that has met him, including experienced trainers would vouch the same.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 PM
bullie lover

Roxy - not attacking you or telling you should be worried. I was more just saying that I have heard of pits attacking their housemates even after living together for years. It had nothing to do with dominance, but it did end bloody. Because of those stories... I PERSONALLY will not leave my future second dog alone with my first dog. If it doesn't happen to you then there's nothing about luck to do with it... you just have a stable personalities to work with.

And i really don't need the additional stress of a house, store, or boat on top of everything else I deal with... so you can keep those.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

What did it have to with? If not dominance?

I in no way am implying that all pitbulls have the same temperment as Hades, but I do know of a number of people with pitbulls, including a trainer in Muskoka that leaves her two pits alone with, some kind of terrier, I forget the name it starts with an S, and her GSD.

I'm just saying, that there are some pits with temperments, and it's not fair to say that all pits cannot be left alone at anytime for any reason.

It's absurd. On top of the fact, and this is not relevant to the OP, that Hades has known Roxy since he was five weeks old. It's not like they were introduced later on in life.

They were raised together, are both properly socialized and on top of that, I've never had any type of "dominance" or "aggression" issue with Hades. Roxy has had issues but not dog aggression issues. LOL. Although that would be much easier to deal with! LOL

To put it blankly, I just don't think it's fair to say that no pitbull can be left with another dog for any reason. If you feel that you wouldn't like to take the risk, that's personal. But, with me, it's not a risk.

Edit: I think I remember the terrier, is there such a thing as a Skipper terrier? I think that's the name. It was bugging me, had to add it. LOL
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM
bullie lover

I think i stated that i said i PERSONALLY wouldn't do it.

Maybe Elegy has the same reasons ... maybe not. I am not speaking for him/her or the OP or you.

I wouldn't take the risk with any dog but especially not with any kind of terrier or bully breed... but then again I also keep my dog crated for his personal safety as well. Generally he sleeps when I am gone, but I do not want to ever take the risk where he might get it in his ear to go where he shouldn't, or bug where he shouldn't, or if there's a fire or something he wouldn't be easily found by the firefighters...

Personally, in my personal life, no risk is worth not crating my dog seperate from other dogs or other situations.