Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 AM
Active Pup

Default New dog loving member need help choosing a breed.

Hey its my first post here on chazhound but I have been reading from earlier on. I am 14 years old and I originate from Lithuania, but now I'm living in Granada Hills, CA. Which is a suburban/semi rural area.

In Lithuania we used to have a collie and it was my first pet, We left it there when moving to the United States. My other siblings live within 10 miles of us and often visit with there dogs, I sometimes take care the pups for a few days/weeks so I have some experience with dogs. I am a animal lover (mostly dog) and hope to one day become a veterinarian.

Me and my parents didn't get a dog for one reason or another, But now we decided to get one. There's only one problem, choosing a breed...

I need help choosing a breed, I did some research about dog breeds but now I wish to turn to the dog loving community for help. I want a dog that will be part of the family and also a friend. The dog will be mainly kept indoors. I don't plan to take the dog to competitions/dog shows and I want a dog that will get serious when told and will listen to my commands under excitement.

Wanted Traits:
  • Very active, even hyperactive.
  • Very play-full.
  • Very affectionate.
  • friendly towards other dogs.
  • friendly towards other people.
  • intelligence and/or ease of training.
  • Dominant/independent.
  • Loyal.

I researched quite a few dogs and the ones that I like are the

Wire Fox Terrier,
Border Collie,
Havanese,
Bichon Frise,
West Highland White Terrier, and the
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

I could use some help here please.

Thanks in advance,
-Pytis
Old 08-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

Quite a range of breeds !!! I'd substitute Golden Retriever for Tollers ...they can be a handful .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

well if you want an active dog id say research

Border Collie
Australian Cattle Dog
and
Australian Shepherd

Thanx steve!

Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

a Dominant/independent dog probaly wont be v.easy to train. a kind of herding dog is probaly right for you
Old 08-28-2006, 12:45 PM

I have to agree with bubbatd, goldens are a terrific choice. Some of your traits do actually clash with some others...not sure why you've listed dominant/independant along with the others. If you could be more specific as to size and other characteristics, it would be easier to help you out. The dogs that you've listed are as different as they could be...need more clues

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Your description is very close to a basenji outside of easy to train. Princess has a very good point. A dominant/independent dog would not be easy to train. Basenjis are very inteligent and independent which equals more time spent training. Although training sessions should only last about 15 minutes per day, my boy catches on pretty quickly. I recently taught him the motion of sit, down & belly up in about 4 days. I don't even have to speak for him to do it. He is a little over a year and a half. Anyway, if you want a small dog who is very high energy, easy to groom and a challenge to train, check out the basenji. You can click the B.R.A.T. link in my sig. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Brittany

Ok, I'm probably just saying this because i'm a Lhasa Lover, but Lhasa Apso's are wonderful family pets and are very affectionate... Also, They definitely don't need to be outside as much as some of the bigger dogs... Just letting you know, LOL
Old 08-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

What is that site where you put in your " wishes " and they come up with the breeds ??? When I tried it out ...they had Goldens as my #1 fit ...good site !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Teri's babies

I would highly recommend a border collie. Kato *my bc* is 10 now and I can honestly say the best behaved, loving old guy, but when he was a pup he was pure joy. Oh he was hyper, but so smart! I had a bed made up for him that he only used when in trouble...the rest of the time he slept with my husband and I. When he did something wrong I'd tell him to go to bed and he would reluctantly go to his bed and throw himself down, lol. Just a bit of 'tude. But he was then and is now awesome!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

i would say that your list of desired traits seems to describe many of the terrier breeds

i'm 14 and i have a border terrier and he is exactly like what you want,
my friend has a westie and hes not very active