Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannerson View Post
What are some inherently gentle breeds? Not very excitable or highly energetic. A dog that seems to know when he/she needs to be gentle.
The gentlest dog I've ever known was a Bearded Collie - she could be very energetic and excitable, but she was always beautifully calm when someone was sick or frail. She was also an adult dog when I got her, and I believe she considered me - and most humans - to be puppies in need of looking after. Which is why I think a grown, female dog of the smaller herding and sporting breeds would be the best bet for finding a gentle dog.

Not to start WWIII, but many varieties of dogs have drawbacks in terms of gentle. Terriers are so feisty - they're vibrating the whole time they're sleeping, and like many working breeds, when they spot something awry they WANT TO ADDRESS THAT ISSUE RIGHT NOW. Not very relaxing. Large dogs have a reputation for calm and gentle personalities, but I think they are just too freaking heavy - when a dog is over 45lbs, their physicality is unavoidably strong. The tiny breeds, while they can be demons, have a much-deserved reputation for being excellent lap dogs. Still, if I was looking for a dog to do therapy work with, I'd start looking for a female dog about 3 years old, 35lbs or less, who was a spaniel or collie mix.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Top Dog

I agree with everyone who said puppies will be puppies...oh so true!

Honestly though, IMO the most gentle and calm breed I have ever known is a newfie. They are incredibly gentle and calm once they reach maturity. I have known some very calm and gentle bullmastiffs as well.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

i think that japanese chins are very gentle cause rascal will be full of pis$ and viniger when im playing with him but as soon as i stop and want kisses hes one step ahead of me honestly

but others such as golden retriever and great danes are also very calm

Thanx steve!

Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Dog Crazy

i think the great dane is a gentle dog, and the cavalier king charles spaniel
Old 08-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

I think it has more to do with how the dog was raised and it life experiences.

My two Amstaffs are as gentle with kids and physically possible. I have grandchildren who are kind of scared of dogs (that is changing) but they love playing with my two dogs. Sal even kisses them softer than he does adult humans. He kind of tickles them with his wiskers..barely touching them when he kisses them.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Dog Show Addict

Any of th Giant breeds - WITH proper socializing are very gentle dogs
Ares
Princess aka Tettles