Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Big Dog

that's awesome! glad you proved your trainer wrong!! i strongly dislike trainers/judges like that (i also ride horses, so i see it a lot in horse show judges) that don't like a breed and therefore don't give them a chance to prove them wrong. i know everybody forms first impressions, it's human nature but you should at least keep an open mind and be able to say, oh wow i was wrong about that. thanks for clarifying and i'll def start talking to my doggy a lot now! great story!!
Old 05-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Active Pup

Exclamation Training ideas

I want to suggest you put a long leash (20 ft) on her and let her drag it. Go out with her and let her play, then when she is playing pick up the end of the leash when she is not paying attention and call her to you in a really happy voice. Give her a treat and tell her how great she is, then give her a command to go play again. Of course this needs to be done in a totally fenced in yard. You can also do a little bonding with her by attaching her leash and having her go with you everywhere you go. Call her name at times and tell her to pay attention, when she looks up at you give her a treat.

Marion
Old 05-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Big Dog

Marion-

thanks for posting!! i've been getting similar advice, everybody having their own little twists, but the same general idea; being that i need to make sure that "come" is not translated into "end the fun". i've been training her in the house... calling her every so often and she's doing really well. i'm only having one problem with moving to the outside, and that being with the treats. it was suggested to me to entice her with a really great treat, one that she doesn't get often, so the other day i took turkey with me, and she figured it out that i had turkey and wouldn't leave me alone! i could sneak it out with me, but then the extra-special reward isn't a surprise after the first time. i guess what i'm saying is she's going to come expecting turkey now... i don't have to use treats with her in the house, it's just outside.

any suggestions??? thanks!!
-meg
Old 06-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Active Pup

Talking turkey

Hi Meg,

If turkey is the way to her heart, so be it. What I do suggest is to sneak it out, and don't give it to her everytime you call he to you. Give her the first piece, next time just pet her and tell her how wonderful she is. The only problem I really see with giving it to her everytime is that you might just change her back to the old ways of not coming if you teach her that she gets something everytime.

Good luck, sounds like your off to a good start.

Marion