Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Is It Possible?

Hi, I'm a bit disturbed today.

I had a good friend of mine over to see my puppy and hang out last night. When he came over, he loved Rocky, he played with him lots. Rocky loved him back and always wanted to play with him when he was here. He was even crying to get off my bed (too small to jump off) so that he could go and play with my friend.

He started nipping and stuff and my friend just kept poking at him and stuff just to get him agitated so he would nip. I was pretty angry, I didn't show it though, because I felt like all my hard work to get him to stop nipping went to nothing. When I started trying to pet him he thought I was going to start playing rough and began nipping at me.

*Sigh* anyway, it just seemed like he ALWAYS wanted to be near my friend.

It seemed almost as if... is it possible? Could he love my friend more than me? I mean he's only had about 2 weeks to bond with me...
Old 03-25-2005, 03:16 PM
no touchy

BigDog, please do not think your dog doesn't love you!!! At times it may seem like he loves someone else more than you, but he loves you a lot. He was probably just excited that there was someone he hadn't met there.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Felurian

No, don't worry about that, it's just puppy curiousity about new people. It's actually a good sign that he was so interested and totally unafraid, willing to accept your friend on your say-so.

I would be angry with the friend though, and tell him he couldn't come over again until he quit teasing Rocky. Part of Rocky's fascination was also being able to get by with murder - doing whatever he wanted - with your friend. He's still a baby. Your friend was probably a little bit jealous, too; likely the reason he kept teasing Rocky and keeping him interested in doing naughty things.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Big Dog

You dog loves you more then your friend, don't be silly! Your puppy was just in play mode, and your friend was promoting the nipping which your puppy thought he wasn't suppose to do. He probably was like, "YAY! I get to NIP!" and that is why he wanted to play with your friend so much.

I can completely understand your frustration. Bailey LOVES to jump on people, and seeing as he is probably going to get very large, I have been training him not to. I always encourage strangers to pet him, and I hate it when I tell him not to jump up, manage to get him to sit politely, and right when I am about to click and treat or reward him, people not only say, "Oh, no! It's okay!", but they TAKE HIS PAWS and put them up!

Sometimes you just have to politely tell people that you are trying to discourage things like nipping and have been working very hard to let your dog know it's not okay. Your friend probably won't take offense to this (as long as you say it nicely ) and you dog won't have to be trained all over again!

Hey, nipping hurts!!

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 03-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

Brady still gets very excited when other people come over, he loves new people! But he knows who mommy is and he comes back to my side when he is ready.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Big German Shepherd

I hope you're right. I did tell my friend that nipping wasn't okay and I was trying to train him not too.

He has really bad habits with his dogs. From the way I've seen him play with mine. I'm probably not going to invite him over until he's a lot older.

I was like, "I love Rocky besides his mischievious pottying in the house while house training. But it's all part of raising a puppy."

And he was like, "You know what you do? Stick there nose in it--"

Me, "No way! That's a really bad approach."

Him, "It worked for me."

He hits his dogs A LOT too. From what I hear.

And his so called "playing" is poking Rocky on the head and all over his body and stuff agitating him so that he would nip. I don't know if it was unintentional cause that may be how he plays with his dogs. But either way, I don't like it. But I guess Rocky did.

But he didn't whimper when he left or anything. And he's been a good boy the rest of the day, it was probably him instigating his bad behavior.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Felurian

Sounds like your friend isn't a very good influence on Rocky! Now that you're a doggy-daddy you'll start thinking differently about things like that - it will make it easier for you to understand some of the things your Dad worries about for you, too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Big German Shepherd

Very true, Renee.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

Playing? Sounds more AGITATING to me.

Bigdog2191 - I think your friend has a lot to learn from you about dogs. Just keep him away from Rocky until Rocky is old enough to completely listen to your commands and obey them. Then if your friend tries to agaitate your dog again, tell him that you don't appreciate his undoing of all your hard work and positive training. Tell him you don't belive in hitting and the negative aspects of training.

And don't worry about Rocky loving anyone more than you. When he gets older you will see how much he loves you. Brady is only over a year and he will crawl all 80 pounds of himself into my lap with a bone because he knows if he gives it to me, I give it right back. Rocky is still so young and curious, he will come around.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Show Dog

i hate when people poke at my dogs like they are some sort of rag or something .. i do not like putting my pups nose in their bowel movements or urine! how would they like it if you put your friends nose in theirs? not sooo goood! lol..

but maybe invite your friend over when rocky's a bit older.. because i don't really let people play with my kids because they all have a habit of poking at them and teasing them since they are small ...