Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

Default May have found a Beauceron Breeder

As some of you know, I've been looking for a "breed".

Beauceron's are at the top of my list with Rottweilers a close second. (There's a great breeder in my area, well known, great reputation)

But, my heart I think is set on a Beauceron, after only first hearing about them a few months ago.

Now don't worry, I'm not about to rush into anything

Here is the link to the breeders site:
http://www.geocities.com/beauceron_1999/

I spoke to him for at least 45 minutes, about the temperment of his dogs, what he does with them, how long he's been with the breed, lines etc.

To me, it sounds good so far. He's been around the breed for about 12 years. He's actively involved in Ring Sport as well as Schutz. All of his breeding stock comes straight from France, and he's making a trip in October to Spain to get a few more dogs from lines that he likes. He does all the testing, and the certificates are available on his site.

So for all you cynics out there (joking ) Tell me what's wrong, or what seems fishy about it, if anything.

He also made a comment about Roxy's "issues", and stated it sounds like a dog that has the perfect temperment for Schutz! Believe me, I was surprised!

While discussing the fact that schutz is something in years, that I'd like to do most likely just for the heck of it, but perhaps in competition, and how Roxy would most likely not pass a test to even train for Schutz. He mentioned that schutz is all about control.

Now saying that, it's much easier to work on obedience and control than to teach a dog aggressiveness. (When it comes to the PP part) He personally prefers a dog with that "edge", which is what Esther commonly refers Roxy's bouts too.

He also went into detail about how training a Beauce is much different than any other dog. And how they often, will shut down, or refuse to work when leash corrections, or too harsh an atmosphere is set.

I know! Sounds just like Roxy doesn't it!

So, not only did a get a lot of info about the breed today, but found out that maybe, just maybe, Roxy isn't as horrible as I've been told she is. She is fairly obedience and not outright aggressive. From him just hearing me explain our "problems", he stated it was an edge that he likes with his dogs.

So let me know what you think honestly. That's the whole point of me putting it out there.

He only has about 2 litters a year as well, I don't think he stated that on the website.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Sounds good so far. I personally didnt see anything alarming on the site. Theres some info but really not enough to base a educated opinion.
Sounds like he knows the breed very well.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I clicked the link and it says "Site not available."
Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

he sounds great!, i cant wait to have a convo with my future breeder
did you ask about health testing?

Old 08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

I also get site not available..Have you checked out the beauceron club of america's site???

I know at one point a few years ago, I was looking at beauceron's. There are very few breeders here in the states,. If you can find an ARBA show near you, check it out, beauceron's are shown in rare breed shows.

I was impressed on how tight knit the breeders were of these dogs, (atleast the ones I talked to), they don't want the dog becoming a 'fad', and are dedicated to preserving their french heritage.
Diane
Old 08-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

To me , this is up to you and to do careful checks. Because of my age, I'd rather stick to tried and true breeds. I mean , ones I know ..Good luck ...I'm willing to learn !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Twin 2.0

It's a rather 'shallow' site as far as actual details go, but his dogs look nice. I love Beauces and would love to have one some day. I worked under the lady who has the #1 Male in the US right now...didn't care much for her as a GM, but she knows her Beauces! Mes Yeux Vigilants is her kennel name...no website though, but you can look up her lines here: http://www.aboutbeaucerons.com/cgi-b...mit=Search+Now

this is also a good site to just look around for Beauces in general.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

I think he gave me site that site, www.aboutbeaucersons.ca though.

He said I could look up the pedigrees there and everything.

He does all the health testing, eyes, hips and elbows. Is there anything else he should be doing?

The only thing I didn't quite like, was the fact that he doesn't have a s/n contract and there's no application. BUT, he said he likes to meet everyone long before they get a pup, to see if they're ready to handle their high drive and their rare "intelligence".

J's Crew- I'm in Canada. I've thought about shipping for a pup, but I don't really like the idea. Seems like an awful lot of stress for a puppy

I don't know why the link doesn't work.

www.beauceron.ca

Maybe try that?

Yes Zoom. The site isn't full of information about his breeding. But he says that he was in a bad car accident a few years ago, which stopped him from being able to travel overseas to get new breeding stock. So his breeding program is just starting up again.

Is 9 too old for a bitch to have a litter?

I asked about any planned breedings, and he's breeding a 9 year old and a 5 year old, that both have not been bred in years.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Twin 2.0

I think 9 is much too old for a bitch to be having a litter. I know that some of the old guys can still "rock the house", but since this breed only lives to about 10-14 depending on lines and life, 9 is pretty middle-aged. 3 or 4 is about as young as I'd to see and 6 or 7 at the oldest.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Zoom. I'm inexperienced, but I did think that was a bit old.

Do you think that's a reason to rule him out as a breeder?