Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Puppy Dog

Unhappy Im so upset!!!

My puppy Pippin is now 4 months old and today she managed to break into my sisters rabbit hutch and killed one of her guinea pigs. I was so shocked. She has never really shown much attention to the rabbits and guinea pigs and has certainly never attempted to get into the hutch. I left the yard door open for a while and when i went out she was sat on the floor, licking the guinea pig who was by then already dead. Bubbles the guinea pig wasnt bleeding and didnt appear to have any bite marks on her, so i dont know if pippin hurt her or maybe just fear killed bubbles. My mum says i should get rid of pippin (which i have no intentions of doing) because she will turn into a vicious dog because of this. Im so confused and upset. Thanks for reading this, i needed to get all this of my chest.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

on the positive side,maby bubbles died already and she sensed it and broke in to try stimulating bubbles to breath...

im really sorry to here that.

Thanx steve!

Old 08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Felurian

It really doesn't sound like Pippin did the deed . . . What kind of dog is Pippin? (I'm sorry - I should remember but, well, there are a LOT of us here and sometimes I just can't quite get all the dogs and owners in the right order )

Even if Pippin HAD done the deed it wouldn't mean she was going to turn into a vicious dog . . . I've got three right now who like to supplement their diet by catching "fast food" out in the pasture - and they are far from being vicious. Dogs hunt. That's just being a dog.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I have to agree with Renee on this. If Pippin did the deed its normal for dogs to have prey drive no matter the breed. Prey drive has nothing to do with being vicious. People often make the mistake of thinking that dogs are like humans. They arent.
I hunt with my dogs but they arent vicous. Just something to think about

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Pippin is a labrador and is usually such a big softy. It was such a shock.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

nearly all dogs have a pray drive as thats what kept them alive before they were domesticated, this wasnt your fault the guniea pig might of had a heart attack before, from what you say i think that was probaly what had happened.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Felurian

Just make sure the hutch doors are locked in the future. It really doesn't sound like Pippin was trying to hurt Bubbles. He may even have been trying to get him out and "play" with him.

It would probably be a good idea not to play with Pippin with stuffed toys . . . it's just too easy for him to get confused.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Puppy Dog

thanks princess poppy, i was just thinking the same thing. its just such a shame as bubbles was only 10 weeks old. ill have to keep a closer eye on pippin from now on and i certainly wont be leaving her in the yard on her own again.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Puppy Dog

good idea renee, thanks
Old 08-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

Wow....it's a lab. They are hunters and retrievers by nature. If she had killed the guinea pig there would have been evidence of it. Bite marks..blood..etc.
Try not to worry too much, it's hard to see your softie do something that it shouldn't, even tho I don't thikn Pippin is responsible. It was just being a dog.