Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-26-2006, 07:47 PM
elegy's Avatar
elegy elegy is offline
overdogged
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,653
Default

i just dump luce's pill in her food bowl with her meal. 90% of the time she eats it with her kibble. the other 10% i have to either smear peanut butter on it or stuff it down her throat.

i've found that hiding the pill in one treat and having a second treat out and ready to go gets the first treat down the hatch quicker because the dog wants the second one too.
__________________
ARCHX Luce CD CD-H RA RL3 RLV RL2X RL1X CGC TT
Mushroom Couch-holder-downer EX
Flyball Ninja Steve RA RL1 CL1-R CL1-F FMCh
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,714
Default

I use peanut butter or cream cheese first and if the dog still won't take it, I'll open the mouth and shove them as far back as I can, then hold and stroke. Luckily Sawyer is great about taking pills, Virgo loves her heartworm and Aubrey will take anything that smells remotely edible.
__________________

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Roxy's CD's Avatar
Roxy's CD Roxy's CD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,016
Default

I tried the peanut butter method, but not only was Roxy getting the poopies but she was having trouble swallowing the pills, she kept trying to chew them and she'd spit them out.

I think the way I do it is the same as Poodle and Renee. Unfortuantely BP, Roxy is much to clever to eat pills in her food. Especially cuz these smell funky! ROFL
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-26-2006, 11:22 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Luckily there aren't any now and few in the past . Most took them " disguised " ... otherwise it was the throat deal . I never liked to break them up in food , as most have a bitter taste. Heart worm pills have alway been taken as a treat !
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-27-2006, 02:06 AM
Carolyn's Avatar
Carolyn Carolyn is offline
ZooMaster!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 728
Default

Max is the only one on tablets here and thats his Glucosamine. Because he is so big he has 3 a night, which is correct for his 60kg weight. It's easy for us to crush them up into powder with his food. They are easy to crush and he has no problems eating them like this
__________________
If you notice this notice, you'll notice this notice is not worth noticing, so don't notice.


Cookiejar Creations
Copyright 2006

I"ve been Frosted by Dulce Pit Bull



MyFurkidsMontage
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-27-2006, 05:39 AM
MyIrishWolfie's Avatar
MyIrishWolfie MyIrishWolfie is offline
Kiss&Tell
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasobuco View Post
The dogs get them on a treat dipped in peanut butter.
I do the same for Binn.
__________________
I've been frosted
Binn is on Dogster http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=314074&j=t
Stella is on Dogster http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=403644
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site