Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

Default How do you administer meds..........

I used to be able to just drop them to the back of Baileys throat and then rub his neck and he would swallow them.....but he got wise to that and is very stubborn.
So now i have to crush them down to a fine powder and mix them in (well) with his food.

How do you give tablets to your dogs....or cats?
Old 08-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

The dogs get them on a treat dipped in peanut butter. The cat gets them crushed up in her wet food.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Roxy has to take pills everyday, and she's such a doll. Poor girl.

I put them in the very back of her throat, my whole hand down there, and push them along with my fingers, than I give her throat a quick rub, and she eats to make sure they go down all the way.

So instead of just putting them in her mouth, and holding her mouth shut and rubbing her throat. I skip all that. She sits, she opens her mouth for me, I shuv my hand in, we do this twice she has two pills she has to take and they're quite large, then I give a quick rub just incase they're stuck in there funny and she gets her breakfast
Old 08-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Bobsk8

Pill pockets are the easiest way I have found if your pet doesn't like to take pills. My vet sells them but you can get them at Petsmart and Petco.

http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm
Old 08-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsk8
Pill pockets are the easiest way I have found if your pet doesn't like to take pills. My vet sells them but you can get them at Petsmart and Petco.

http://www.pillpockets.com/index_fs.htm
Those look really cool!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

With Farley I have to use the same method as Roxy. Chloe is so easy - all I have to do is put the pill in my palm and whoosh, it is gone!
Old 08-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Felurian

With the Grrrrls it's easy . . . just pop those maws open and stick my hand down the ivory lined cavern, drop the pill in the back, hike my hand back out of the cave and grab the sides of the jowls until they swallow. If they start rolling their tongues around, I blow in their faces and they swallow immediately

I don't think I've ever had to give Bimmer a pill . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-26-2006, 06:55 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Buddy gets pills everyday, twice a day, and he gets them in his kibble.

If he has to take anymore pills than that,he gets a special treat with them in peanut butter and he licks the spoon and the pill and he thinks he's in heaven.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Water Junkie

The only time I have had to gie Lizzie pills was when she had an ear infection or when she had a bee sting and had to take benadryl and I just put some butter on the pill and it just slides right down!!! She is a VERY good pill taker!!! Thank goodness b/c if it wasn't knowing her it would be a pain in the neck to give her pills!!!!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-26-2006, 08:31 PM
LabBreeder

Put the pills as far back into the dogs mouth as possible, hold the mouth closed (so he/she can't spit it out) and rub the throat to coax swallowing.