Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Rainbow Bridge - Dog Memorials

Old 08-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

im so sorry to here that...i know how you feel...rascal was recently in 2 vets offices because he was throwing up and had a bloody stool sort of like chanel but im happy we took him cause he was on 3 times the normal amount of fluids supposed to be injected through his paw...i was so sad because he literally would not move,blink,anything so it looked like he was dead but he lived i was so happy

Thanx steve!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Oh my! I don't even know what to say..........that must have been the most heart wrenching experience ever! I am crying because I can visualize it. I am so sorry you and Chanel had to go through that.

My prayers are with you.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

It's always rough to know when to give up ...... When I put Chip down .... ( my vets said he might last 2 or 3 weeks ) my vet agreed with me , but said , take your time with your decision. I knew it was time. Two days later she called me ... on her own she did an autopsy .... and wanted me to know I did the right thing. This to me is a caring Clinic !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Active Pup

Default To: Bubbatd, J's Crew and Senna

It feels so good that some people understands my situation. Some others take for the vet... To me, it is verry unethical to scratch off my vet bill in exchange of a badly sick puppy. Just the way the euthanasia went.... The pushed me away from Chanel, I coudn t even pet her, talk to her. I was laying against the wall in the corner of the room. Watching everything in a way it never happened to me. It kinda felt like I was dead, and I was watching everything from a cloud.. I don't know.. I never felt that way before... Then, the vein that blew up after they started injecting the euthanasia in her IV! Just the fact that she said: OOPS!! Her vein just blew up?!!? I was on the floor crying and that was probably the last thing I wanted to hear!!!!! They took off for 2 minuts! and came back to inject whatever was left in her paw. They waited til she was dead, to let me pet her... Hor crual is that? How is that ethical? it seemed thy didn t care about me! They did it like I wasn t there... I can't beleive it... I swear, I still have nightmares about it. The vet did not had to judge my decision! I was already on the floor crying when i came in the vets office with my decision, she had to turn the knife in the cut! It just felt like she stabbed me til I died...... I am totally traumatized! What if, when Dolce gets older, I have to put her down because she becomes sick... Will I even be able to be there with her... Even now, i go to another vet with Dolce. I obviously don t take her to this sick minded vet.They are so nice, but I still have a hard time trusting her... Not because I have doubts, just because of what happened... I thank you all for understanding me.... and supporting me... It happened in January and just now, I can start to talk about what happened without crying.. Makes me feel better to tell my story. Makes me feel better to know some other people feel me, and some people still have a heart.... It is so hard to loose an animal.... I understand all of you that had to go trought it...

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

You really had to go through 2 things .... your love for your pet and your pain for having to PTS.... I don't understand why they didn't let you hold your love. A lot of pains come with " what if " s ......don't beat yourself . It's over . What's done is done. I've never had to put a dog down without knowing it was for the best. Not for me.... for my dog. If you are doubting yourself , only you can live through this . Just know we care .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Skybeemr, what a horrible experience. As a vet, I can see absolutely no reason for those people to treat you with such disrespect. I do hope you've found another vet for your new pup who treats you a lot better!!

Sometimes even without a diagnosis, you can look at a pup and get a reasonable idea of outcome. If a pup is that ill, and needs fluids, and is still vomiting and diarrhoea-ing, you can evaluate other things like temp, gum colour and refill etc and get an idea of how sick an animal is without an actual name for it's illness. So, I wouldn't necessarily think that a 50/50 prognosis would be inaccurate.

As far as waiving the bill to keep the pup, that's bizarre. Your pup may have needed 5 times the $900 to get it through this, or more, plus labour intensive hospitalisation, and it still may have died. For a vet to do all that, then waive the bill to give the dog a good home - yours or anybody else's - would basically mean that the vet has treated your dog for free. That doesn't keep a business afloat. I don't know what the motive would be for that, maybe money, but the costs would have been huge, and they'd end up with a sickly pup that would need a fair bit of recuperating before they could even sell it or breed it. Whether or not they'd get their expenses back, I don't know. You're right though, for them to do this to get the dog a good home when you're obviously a loving and caring pet owner who does care for their dog makes no sense unless they did want to keep it for themselves.

I honestly don't know why people like that are in business, they can't possibly be very successful. All the best with your new babe, and hopefully you won't need to call on a vet very much

Scotia
Old 08-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Top Dog

you did a really brave thing to let her go and stop her suffering, all i can say is your story mad me cry and you deseve another pup to love and cherish
Old 08-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

I can't say that i agree with the vet wanting to wavour the Bill and try to save the puppy.
But i can see that she may have thought there was a chance for Chanel and that maybe you were having her PTS b/c of the rising Vet Bill.
She may have genuinly been trying to help in whichever way she could.

It is a very sad story and the way the vet treated you for making your decision is awful!!

Dolce is beautiful
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Active Pup

Default To everyone who understands...

Thank you to all of you..... I guess I learned a lot.. This was a life lesson for me.... No matter what people say or what people try to make you do, just go with what your heart is telling you to... Live each day to the fullest. Appreciate everything that you have today because you'll never know if it will be there tomorow. Hope all of you enjoy your dogs a much as I enjoy Dolce. I call her my lil angel... Dogs are amazing companions. No matter how you feel, they're always happy to see you and to be with you...

Thank you!

Sara
Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Active Pup

Red face

I recently had to put Lucy, my 16 yr old dog, to sleep. She had been acting strange (stranger than usual for her). I knew she had lost weight and she seemed to be in some pain. When I took her to the vet and she weighed in at 20# (younger weight was 32) which was down a good bit from the previous year, I knew in my heart it was her time. And my vet agreed. Unlike your experience, they put in the IV and left me alone with her for a little bit. I cried and she paced. They came back in with a rug, placed her (and me) on it and I held her when they injected her. She didn't want to go and she fought it a bit. But I held her through it all and she knew that I loved her. I cried again when I got the sympathy card from my vet signed by everyone who worked there.

Having a pet PTS is one of the most difficult things to do but at the same time is the most loving thing you can do. Our furr babies can't tell us what hurts or how they feel...but look them in the eyes and you will know.

Lucy is now with her best friend Tinker (who left us last year at the age of 15). Lucy grieved for Tinker and now they are together again...across the Rainbow Bridge. I know they are both in a wonderful place together.