Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Active Pup

Default Lab breeder in New England - special case

I have a special case I'm trying to fulfill, and am reaching out for any/all information as it's somewhat uncharted waters for me.

My employer is an elderly former professor who now runs a foundation. His wife suffers from Alzheimers.

They have previously owned a string of male chocolate labs, whom they adored. Their last one passed away a year or two ago.

The wife is increasingly losing touch with daily life, but lights up emotionally/cognitively around dogs. Therefore, they would like to acquire another lab to be her companion.

Specifically, they are hoping to find an older trained adult who is respectful of space (she is unsteady on her feet), calm, and lazy enough to be content with the occasional jaunt outside. They live on over 50 acres in Maine, with a pond.

Originally the husband thought of a service dog, as the wife has started eloping. However all service dog orgs are booked many years out, and they do not need one that can function in public.

Instead we're shooting for a well behaved companion.

I'm not a lab person, and breeders are so abundant online that I don't even know where to start. New England is just chock full of them.

Any recommendations, or knowledge of breeders with retired/ing dogs, would be greatly appreciated. Inside Maine is ideal, but any of the NE states would be doable.

They're a fan of the English Lab, but really aren't picky on that as long as it fits the other criteria (older, calm, well behaved).
Old 07-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if they are interested in rescue, but New England Lab Rescue has many dogs matching that description (calm, quiet adults respectful of space).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

These two breeders are on Long Island. I wouldn't hesitate to get a dog from either of them. If it's too far, or they don't have what your employer is looking for, they might be able to put you in touch with someone.

http://www.woodhulllabs.com/

http://www.forestwoodlabs.com/
Old 07-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

My aunt and uncle purchased a lab puppy from Noreasta labs in Plymouth, MA. I went with them when they picked her up and met the 6 year old black female that they currently have listed as available, it's Doris who they have listed under their females. When we were there this winter she was nursing her final litter. She was extremely sweet and listened very well. If her energy is anything like my aunt and uncle's dog then she should fit in well. Their dog loves activity but when the family is inside doing nothing she just chills out on the floor, and she's less than a year old. The only thing I'm not certain of is if Dory would be okay in the personal space department. If I recall when I knelt on the floor she leaned in to me and then sat on my lap which made me fall in love but might not be ideal for what you're looking for.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Active Pup

Thanks everyone! I'll contact all of these options and see where it gets us. They're not opposed to rescue at all if the right match can be found.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Top Dog

I just had another thought- Guiding Eyes For The Blind is on Long Island. They might have dogs that have washed out of their program that would fit, or retired breeding dogs.

https://www.guidingeyes.org/