Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Angry getting agrivated!

My Mack is just determined NOT to become housebroken! He used to control himself if he was around me but now it seems even if I am in the same room he will go and then look at me while he is going until I stop him. I don't know what to do with him. I take him out every hour, or hour and a half and he ALWAYS goes but it seems he will still go in the house. He doesn't have any medical problems either. Even if I do crate him he will go in his crate. He gives absolutely NO warning about having to go either. He constantly sniffs around so it is impossible to tell when he has to go, he doesn't sniff in circles (unless he is outside). Sometimes he will whine but he will constantly whine if he is in his crate or baby gated in the kitchen. Are some dogs just not meant to be potty trained. I know he would not make it as a strictly outside dog because he HAS to be by people or he is so pathetically miserable. I don't know what to do with him anymore besides tell him no bring him outside (which then he usually won't finish) praise him, chain him outside, clean up his mess, bring him inside and crate him. He basically will only pee in the house, he has only had like three accidents of the other kind inside. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated by both me and him as well.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Big Dog

How old is he?

First though, he's not doing it to spite you. He's probably just confused.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Rusty but Trusty

He's 7 months. I know he's not doing it to spite me it's just makes me frustrated. He's a pit/bulldog mix. His breeders never worked on housebreaking or cratetraining. I'm starting from scratch and it seems like everytime we make a breakthrough the next day he goes back three steps.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:14 AM
Dog Spoiler

Hmmm just take him out every 30 minutes until he gets the idea that outside is where they go potty. If they go outside and go again inside, its more of a dominance issue.

-Jon
Old 03-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I have a feeling that it is more of a dominance issue but I don't know how to correct it. We are looking putting him into obediance classes but I don't know how else to correct the issue. I'll take him out and he'll go but then he'll come back in and within twenty minutes or so he will go agian. It's not a lot but he will still go.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Felurian

I can't remember, Julie, is Mack neutered yet?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Rusty but Trusty

No he isn't neutered, yet. We are going to have that done probably in a month or so. We don't have the money to do that now but it is number 1 on our priority list. Does not being neutered have something to do with him going in the house? Also does anyone have any idea where I could go that has obedience classes at a fair price? I have been working with him at home and so far that is going ok.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Rusty but Trusty

oh, wait, Mack is no longer 7 months old. I just realized he turned 8 months old today!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Big German Shepherd

"He's 7 months. I know he's not doing it to spite me it's just makes me frustrated. He's a pit/bulldog mix. His breeders never worked on housebreaking or cratetraining. I'm starting from scratch and it seems like everytime we make a breakthrough the next day he goes back three steps."

Same thing Rocky! I feel for you, juliefurry! For like two days he was doing AMAZING on house training. Then... yesterday, I come home and get told about how he has just pooed all over the front of my room and he also peed a couple of times that day... not good.

Then today, while I'm sleeping I get told again that he has pooed again. (Very surprised, he rarely poos inside the house.) And peed several times. I think it might've been cause I wasn't awake and I can usually tell when he has to go potty. Both times I wasn't around. So, I don't know. If anyone has any help for me, that'd be great too.

Today has been pretty bad because he has learned about the back part of the back yard, very muddy right now, and he's too distracted with going over there and messing in the mud to use the bathroom. Again, any help would be appreciated. Or is this just a matter of patience and understanding while going through the stage of housetraining a puppy?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:24 PM
no touchy

When you are gone, contain him in one area (such as an exercise pen). When you're home, tie him to you or keep him in a pen near you. Bring him outside every 2 hours on a leash (this way he can only go to the bathroom).
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.