Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Active Pup

Default Crossbreeding

Has anyone ever heard of a pekingese and a cavalier king charles spaniel crossbred. If so what did you think of them
Old 08-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

my exact thoughts were, cute pup!

poor babes though, so many health issues you need to use your hands and toes to count them

Old 08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

Never heard of a mix of those 2 breeds.
What makes you ask?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Twin 2.0

It's a cute puppy with horrible health issues and a too big price tag. In other words, bad idea; spay/neuter instead.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Puppy Dog

Default really?

i thought hybrids were supposed to have "vigor" and be more healty then the original parents. Learn something new every day.

what kind of health problems? I've never heard of that cross.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

If you breed two different breeds together who share similar health conditions, then those pups will be prone to the same problems. Hybrid vigor doesn't really apply to domestic dog breeding. And actually not to canines in general from what I've seen - look at the number of wolf-hybrids with hip dysplasia!

\

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Active Pup

I raise cavaliers and pekingese and neither have any health problems at all. Just thinking about breeding them.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

What would one breed offer the other? (For instance, people who breed Doodles claim that the Poodle influence makes them low shedding). Basically, you've got two dogs with similar temperaments, long coats, and some other similarities. What would a Peke/Cav have over a purebred Peke or Cav?

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 PM
LabBreeder

There is no benefit IMO. It's just another crossbred designer dog to add to the overpopulation.
Do you do health tests on your dogs or have they all just been "lucky" and not shown signs of hereditary problems that each breed is prone to?
Are the parents titled (doesn't really matter unless it's a purebred breeding)?

Why would you want to intentionally mix breeds? Profit? Become a byb? If this comes across as harsh, so be it. I do not condone mixed breeding for any reason save for (possibly) Australian Labradoodles that are being used to help handicapped people with allergies. Other than that, it's a shame. Not a purebred, not a breed, more health problems, definitely not improving either one since the pups are mixes. JMO as always.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Please don't breed crossbred dogs...there are soooo many reasons that it is wrong....very wrong. Health issues etc. What is the point in breeding those two dogs? So you can have puppies to give to friends or family? Because you think all females should experience birth? Because you think that cross might be cute? Im not trying to be mean but these are all common reasons people breed crossbred dogs. There are SO many crossbred dogs in shelters that need homes already. Why add to the problem?? You should spay your female and neuter your male. Leaving them intact can lead to serious health issues? Have you ever bred before? Have you done ANY research on breeding? Do you know the time and money and heartache involved in breeding? There is absolutely NO reason to breed crossbred dogs and it is completly wrong.

If you want to get into breeding find yourself a reputable breeder and get them to help you with it. If you must breed then breed healthy conformed purebred dog to another healthy, conformed purebred dog of the SAME breed.

There are so many other threads on here that explain all these issues. Please take a look around and read them. Or maybe someone else in here can point you in the right direction of them.

Please spay and neuter your pets.