Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

BTW.... is this the pup that was 12 weeks old when you joined here last month ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 PM
LabBreeder

Might be just another "troll patrol".
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Training the Trainer

Well I think that kittypup may well have decided to leave this board because of some of the things said and that's a shame, because she didn't seem to get that breeding is not about HER life or HER house or HER money but the fact that she'll be responsible for bringing another four to seven pups into a world so chock-full of homeless, abused and unwanted dogs it defies belief.

I think everyone had the right to say what they did and I just hope she does come back and learn even more and realise that breeding for profit, or for any other reason than a genuine desire to better the breed you have chosen is just plain WRONG.

God there are few things that make me madder than the `if I wanna do it you can't stop me' argument. Its such an immature thing to say and she just doesn't seem to get why its wrong, and why people get frustrated because its about animal WELFARE not trying to stop someone from mating their dog. Oh rant rant I could go on for hours....lol

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

So true , Ruby .. We may seem to be too harsh here, but I know of at least 3 who stuck with us and changed their mind after seeing our posts !! Even one can save many,many pups !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
Tempura Tantrum- I like what you have to say. I as well am young (25), and though I do not have the experience you do, I have found the breed I want to have for life.

And I totally understand where you're coming from- I know Orchid's lines backwards and forwards- but even so there is still so much to learn! There are so many genetic problems to be avoided.
It's so great to "meet" like-minded "young-uns!" I'm used to people thinking I'm an absolute nutjob for being so obsessed with everything Shiba at such a young age, that it's always fun to find a kindred spirit!

I actually looked into Keeshonden before I decided on Shibas . I love their faces, particularly their "spectacles." They remind me of raccoons. (I should be slapped for saying that, considering I can't stand when people say "oh your dogs look just like little foxes!!!")

While it's frustrating that the OP has most likely left- one thing we can all count on is that she at least *saw* the information. People are just too curious to simply never return to a post they made, so while she may never be active on the board again, at least we've said our piece.

Ruby, I'm in complete agreement with you. It's absolutely bizarre to me that people come on here, and then get pissed (if you'll excuse the language), when we don't tell them EXACTLY what they want to hear. Why are people so surprised??? When you ask PERSONAL opinions, do you not expect that that IS what you're going to get?

And Grammy you're right- no one's going to actively search out an un-tested, unknown pug for use at stud. The money she may get for stud service will HARDLY cover what it's going to cost to replace carpets that smell like urine . And as far as peace of mind goes...$25-$50 isn't even close to recooping the hours of wishing you owned anything but an intact male dog when a bitch is in season.

Pure selfishness.

Why does it seem like humanity has gone from seeing what we can do to *improve* the lives of fellow creatures, to just doing whatever we **** well please because "we *deserve* to be happy?" Even if it means our happiness comes at the expense of another living creature?

Last edited by tempura tantrum; 08-25-2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: The next time I spell "such" wrong, I will re-enroll myself in 1st grade.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Kittypup, if you're still reading this . . .

If you're serious about breeding your pug, make sure you show him first to make sure he is an excellent example of the breed. However, if he isn't AKC registered, I'm not sure if it's possible. (I'm not familiar with whatever ACA is.) If it isn't possible to show him, you might as well neuter him right away, as responsible breeders will not be interested in him.

Also, test for ALL health problems when he's old enough to breed. (This often requires specific tests, not just the vet saying "yep, he's a healthy dog.") I think pugs tend to have respiratory problems, I'm not sure what else. Eye problems? Hip problems? If he has health issues, don't breed him even if he DOES conform perfectly to breed standards--you will be passing along health problems to the puppies!

Do a LOT of research first. Find a mentor who shows and breeds pugs responsibly. If your dog is breed-worthy, make sure the female is too and that they will compliment each other, don't breed him to Random Pug Down the Street. Only breed him to better the breed. Otherwise, please neuter him.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

How did I miss this thread

I think everyone has said what needs to be said, BUT I can say from EXPERIENCE that intact male pugs are VERY prone to urinary marking. It is common for them to mark their owner as well. I see this happen all the time when people are waiting ringside at the shows...and the owner/handler doesn't even know the litter bugger got them LOL! Seriously though, male pugs are BIG markers once they reach maturity and all the breeders I know have to crate them when they can't be watched or put them in a belly band. Heck, my neutered male loves to try and mark!
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Island dweller

From what I've read of this thread it sounds to me like Kittypup isn't planning on breeding in the near future and she wants to gather as much information as possible before she makes a decision. What else can we ask for? Implying that she is a troll is out of line.

It also sounds to me that english is a second language for kittypup and if that's true she might be living in an area where dogs are regarded in a different manner. Who knows but it might be worthwhile to ask these questions first.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Top Dog

I'm pretty sure she's in America as she said she had looked into registering with the American Kennel Club but learned you can't register with them unless the dog's parents were AKC registered.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Show Dog

Now I remember why I left this forum.