Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Puppy Dog

There are no sanctioned shows, trials, etc. for the ACA, as it exists primarily for health tracking--however, I would dispute even that, since ACA puppies are available through pet stores, which are not in the business of selling healthy dogs.

Twelve weeks, or anything under two years, really isn't old enough to evaluate your dog's health, fitness for breeding, or temperament. It would be disastrous if you bred him at a year old, and then as he got older, you discovered he passed on a heritable disease to his puppies. Some of the standardized health tests, like OFA, can only be done once the dog is an adult and finished growing.

You also will want to show your dog, in AKC or UKC or another reputable registry's conformation shows. This gives you an objective evaluation of how closely your dog conforms to the breed standard, and whether breeding your dog to another excellent pug will produce pups that contribute positively to the breed as a whole. A purebred dog that isn't AKC/UKC registered can become registered by submitting certain documents to the registry organization, so this is still an option for you. Another way to prove that your dog is a good choice for breeding is to earn a high title in a dog sport, such as agility, flyball, or obedience. I recently went to a trial where a pug competed in advanced agility and was a great athlete.

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to make money selling puppies. It costs so much to raise them and care for the mother that it actually costs a lot, especially in pugs, where a c-section is sometimes needed for the mother to give birth.

To answer your original question, good housetraining and supervision prevents some house-marking, but toy dogs really are more prone to marking territory, especially when unneutered. So that's a good consideration on your part; that some marking might occur if you decide not to neuter your dog.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Active Pup

Yes, I'm sure theres tons to learn. I got this dog so it can be a life long friend to me. Yes the money did not really mattered. If he was 5,000. I might have got him just the same. Or if I got him for free the idea of mating would still be the same too. I love animals. Extra money is always nice. Finding homes for pugs is not that hard because lots of people love them. So the idea is harmless. But how will it afect my stress and home. Thats something to really think about. Honestly, I was thinking about getting an adult pug. Insted of the puppy that I have. But I said to my self.. Theres a lot of abused animals. I don't want a pet that can not trust his owner because of a bad past with someone else. If I rase him I know everything that has happend to him. I would never strike an animal. It would just get hugs and kisses. So I'm really tring to make it past the potty training stage to get to the fun loving play full dog I wanted. The idea of mating was just a big pluss. If I can handle it.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Puppy Dog

I definitely would encourage you to look into showing and other aspects of responsible breeding. Maybe you can find a good, experienced pug (or even another breed) breeder in your area who will be your mentor, and you could see what it would be like to breed dogs. If you contact your area's breed club, you can ask about finding a good breeder who would be willing to speak with you.

Pug Clubs: http://www.pugs.org/clubs.htm

Pug breeders in good standing with the breed club: http://pugs.org/indexbreeder.htm

Here is a helpful page: http://www.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/index.cfm
Old 08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

First of all ... unless your dog has proven himself and has all health checks you will not be sought out as a stud owner. If you advertise stud service , Joe Blow may be interested for $50. This will be a BYB , You will not make money off your baby at this point. Just enjoy and move on ! When I was breeding , I had 2 intact females and 2 intact males.( plus rescue and boarders ) I never bred both females at same time ( one was always retired ) ... all were related , so there was never any in breeding ... I NEVER had any marking in the house. Yes, the males would pee around the outdoor kennel , but this was natural . I would keep my female inside with all until a week into their heat .... then in kennel . You really have to know your dogs and be there 24/7 .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 08-22-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
"ACA" I don't know if people show those dogs
Not really- this registry is used mostly by pet stores and puppymillers- so it doesn't bode well for his conformation prospects.

Still, if you're serious about breeding him, your first step in the right direction would be to get him registered with AKC or another like registry (as Rhinecat already pointed out), and get him in the conformation ring (where he can be evaluated by Pug judges), or at least into some performance events).

In all honesty, I think you'd have a LOT more fun getting your CURRENT dog involved in an activity you can both enjoy, rather than breeding him.

Agility would be fantastic. It will strengthen your bond, and is LOADS of fun for BOTH dog and handler. Should you decide to join an agility club, I can guarantee you'll make great friends, and have a wonderful new skill set you can be proud of. The physical activity does wonders for stress relief (in both dogs and humans), and all in all, you'll have a happier, more relaxed buddy.

While a performance event is likely to REDUCE the stress in your home, keeping an intact male is likely to INCREASE it. Intact males are generally less biddable. They're more prone to becoming "escape artists," so be sure your fencing is MORE than secure. They're attention is a lot more flighty, because let's face it...you'll never be more interesting to them than a bitch in heat. Be prepared to be virtually ignored when your male encounters a girl in season. The inconsolable whining, the drooling, the frenzied panting...when an intact male is within a couple of MILES of a bitch in heat, I've been there. And it ain't pretty. Annoying does not even BEGIN to cover it- and this behavior will last as long as the girl is in her heat cycle.

As far as marking- there's a really good chance that should you allow him to remain intact, he'll do it. There are special "doggie diapers" that some people use, but these are a hassle, and most breeders opt just to keep dogs and bitches separated.

Quote:
Extra money is always nice
If this is true...I would shy away from breeding, LOL. If you're doing it RIGHT you will almost always LOSE money.

You'll need to get his hips tested (done at 2 years) by OFA. CERF testing is a must as well. If you don't know what the acronyms stand for yet- it'll be your duty to research that, BEFORE you breed your dog. It's part of being responsible for the lives you're bringing into the world.

And yes, while lots of people "love and want Pugs," lots of people DON'T want Pugs with hip dysplasia, seizures, cherry eye, luxating patellas, or progressive retinal atrophy. I see these guys in my local humane society on a WEEKLY basis- you can bet they were all the results of breedings done by people who didn't know about genetic health-testing, showing their dogs, or didn't care.

I'm not sure what the main genetic disorders in Pugs are, but you'll need to look them up and have him tested.

A canine brucellosis test is also a must. Sexually transmitted diseases DO occur in dogs, and brucellosis can cause a dog or bitch to become sterile, among other things.

Your puppy is very young- still a baby, and it sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. Do you really want to add all of the above? (Or worse- should you choose to forgo testing).

I think it would be a fantastic idea to get involved in some kind of an activity with your CURRENT dog. You sound like you want what's best for him, and you're striving to be a good owner. Show your pup you care about HIM, and get involved in something fun, like agility! ( I promise it's WAY less stressful than breeding!)

Old 08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

Hey guys I just wanted to say this is so far a very nice thread. I have actually learned a lot about how and what to tell people about the things they need to think about before breeding. I commented earllier but since then I have even learned a bunch. Now I just wish I had a dog to join a club with! My old Max is too old and fat hehe but I love him.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

Yes ... I made some money !!! Bred for about 35 years and put every penny earned back into my breeding fund .....I ended up with about $300 .... I was lucky !!! That was eaten up plus $900 more when my female got brain cancer. I never went into breeding for financial reasons .... Yes, the Top dogs , as the top race horses , will glean from their laurels ..... but few from Chaz posters. If you have post !! I don't count 1st litters.....I'm talking " breeders " .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum
Still, if you're serious about breeding him, your first step in the right direction would be to get him registered with AKC or another like registry (as Rhinecat already pointed out), and get him in the conformation ring (where he can be evaluated by Pug judges), or at least into some performance events).
You can't just register with AKC. I been told by many. The blood line must be apart of the AKC. You need to find a dog that already has the AKC. You can't just walk in and get it.

So it sounds like theres more people against breeding then for it. Even if I knew every last thing there is to know about it. Even if I had the perfict place for it. Because lets face it. You guys don't know my home from adam.
So it's a bad idea. right.? I spoke to breeders before. They said that they enjoy it. However I did not know about the whole spraying thing. I just thought cats did that. I did not even give it much of a thought until I read about it. In a book.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypup
So it sounds like theres more people against breeding then for it. Even if I knew every last thing there is to know about it. Even if I had the perfict place for it. Because lets face it. You guys don't know my home from adam.
So it's a bad idea. right.? I spoke to breeders before. They said that they enjoy it. However I did not know about the whole spraying thing. I just thought cats did that. I did not even give it much of a thought until I read about it. In a book.
No there are more people who are against breeding when the person has no idea what they are doing.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Active Pup

How many times do I have to tell everyone that I'm "looking into learning". If I learn can I get some respect? Gesh. I'm 26 not 13. I came on here to learn and insted, I feel like I'm more so tring to get permission. I'm an adult. I don't need anyones permission. If I'm going to do it. No one can stop me. But I have enough comen sence not to mess up my home, my life, and a living beings life. With out getting lots of advice. Thats the only reason I'm here.