Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

I'm sure right now the OP is in tears and antagonizing over this . What's done is done .... she now has to handle what's to come . If she goes through with it ... it will probably mean a c sections and 8 to 10 weeks of constant love and care . Chances are the pups with the HD background won't have good homes. The spay/abortion is up to her. Cost , if a factor , would be about the same as a C section. I would never add " issues " to any litter I'd produce. Please keep us up to date on what you plan to do. You need support either way you go .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

I hope she does whats right for the dogs....even though abortion isn't exactly a happy ending..it doesn't seem like the other option is much better...good luck...take good care of the mum.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Top Dog

I know abortion is not a happy thing but it is the best thing probably in your situation.

Look at the good you will be doing too for Chihuahuas all over the place too. You have friends and family who wanted one, I am sure they will be sad and wonder why on earth you would abort them. Especially since they wanted one from you. But you can point out that you were making a big mistake. Your female suffers from Hip Dysplasia (or luxating patella or whatever it ends up being). Tell them that it would be wrong for you to breed her when the puppies would most likely have it too. Tell them that the puppies you would have given them would most likely have it too and it will cost thousands of dollars to correct. Say you couldn't bring it upon yourself to breed her and for being responsible for making that happen when all their puppies end up needing a vet. Even if they saw so what we will deal with that when the time comes. That is completely unfair to the puppies. If you KNOW there is a problem, can you really feel right about breeding the dog?

I would also check for Chi rescues in their area and tell them to find one there, they will have plenty to choose from and they would be saving a life. If they REALLY want one they will consider that. Think if your whole family and all your friends who wanted one all went to rescue, think of how much good you will be doing in saving the lives of Chihuahua's everywhere.

Plus, I would get in touch with the horrible breeder you got your poor dog from and give her an earful about the dogs she is breeding without testing or lying to the new owners about testing them. If you didn't not see any paperwork for testing and don't remember her giving a health guarentee and she obviously is not too responsible if she told you you can breed them that young. At least give her an earful about your dog having hip dysplasia. That is genetic/hereditary and they is what breeders need to test for BEFORE breeding, she obviously didn't do that. She is a horrible breeder.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Are you dead yet?

I think everyone else has addressed the points I was going to make. I would just like to add that I believe it was patellar luxation that your vet was referring to, not hip dysplasia. I have never seen a Chihuahua or similar small breed with HD. Luxating patellas are "slipping kneecaps" and, like hip dysplasia, they come in varying degrees of severity. Luxating patellas are not blatantly obvious unless they are quite severe. The dog can usually move normally but minor impact or an unnatural twist of the leg (losing footing while running, tripping, etc.) can knock the kneecap out of place, causing quite a lot of pain.

Please call your vet and verify which condition it was. Often times, dogs can live with PL (mine does) but HD is more painful and difficult for them.

I can understand if you do not want to abort the litter - but PLEASE spay/neuter the puppies BEFORE they go to new homes. That is the only way that you can be assured they will not be bred. Luxating patellas are very common in the chihuahua breed and breeding dogs with the condition is a terrible choice to make. I'm not going to bash you for what you've done, but please do all you can to prevent this from happening in the future.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Dog Show Addict

*sigh* I wish Red was still here.. She'd have something amazing to say...

All I can say is good luck.

Its too bad that you didn't take the time to get your dogs health tested first. Eyes checked, hips done, elbows done etc etc..

I just HOPE that all your pups turn out healthy and strong. I also hope that your bitch can handle it
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Top Dog

I hope you abort those puppies and get the parents fixed ASAP. I will be thinking of the baby mommy.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
*sigh* I wish Red was still here.. She'd have something amazing to say...
actually i send her a pm (different forum) about this thread, just cuz i thought her info would really help this person

Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mninh0076
I lost my job the week after they started to have sex. And she was at the vet right before she had sex because i thought she might have a skin problem because her hair became really thin (but its all grown back now) The vet said he thinks she has hip displasia (i think that is what he said it was) I havent had money to go back and get it checked, or to get xrays to see.
Quote:
Hmm, this luxating thing, that sounds familiar actually. more familiar than hip displasia. I think perhaps he did say that, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wish I had known about it before they mated. our previous vet had never mentioned it.
I am a little confused with the 2 statements that i have highlighted.
When i 1st starting reading your thread i was assuming from the 1st comment that you had Mated them after hearing that she could possibly have HD.....then in this 2nd statement you say that you wished you'd known this Before Mating them??

I can't offer advice b/c i don't know much about Breeding myself.
I do hope that your girl and her puppies survive this and are lucky enough not to suffer the rest of their little lives in pain
Old 08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:

I feel guilty now because she is pregnant. I dont agree with human abortions and ive never considered it wtih animals. So now i'm having a huge moral battle in myself over it. the babies are probably alive inside her now... i cant imagine killing them, and it just breaks my heart.
Don't look at this as killing the puppies.........look at it as saving them from a life of suffering If mum has HD or LP then these puppies will more than likely spend their whole lives riddled with pain.........Aborting would be the best and kindest thing for them and also for mum b/c pregnancy will put alot more strain on her hips IMO
Old 08-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Active Pup

to clear that up caren she was at the vet before she got pregnant, but after they had started haxing sex. meaning before she started gaining weight and her nipples and stuff. We didnt really think she'd get pregnant this year because last year she got titties and stuff too but we figured since we know they had sex this year there was a good chance. i told him my fajita had had sex that week and if she were pregnant, he said it were too early to tell anything. The original reason i took her to the vet was because she was missing a patch of hair on her neck, which grew back about a week later randomly and to ask about the pregnancy. but he did talk about her legs or hips.

I've just recently decided she was pregnant as the nipples and stuff have stayed for longer than they did last time.

Either way I've got a list of vets that I am calling today getting prices for abortions/spaying and for xrays.

I thank everyone for your support, ill let you know how it goes. And I too wish i still had the vets contact number, i think my parents tried to call her a couple months ago and it was disconnected. we know where she lives... but itd be weird showing up at her door yelling at her.

it makes me so mad someone can sell us what we thought was a healthy dog and turns out has something genetically wrong wtih it. KNOWING and encouraging us to breed it. Even to breed it before we were supposed to. She acted litk it was simple she said all you have to do is wait until her second heat and make sure the male is smaller than the female. so we didnt think anything of it.

I am Not having babies that will put someone in the same situation. I am so angry at myself/ at the breeder/ at everything right now.

Let this thread be testimony to anyone else that is a BYB (does that mean backyard breeder like do it yourself breeder? i keep seeing that on the boards lol) But like i said, i hope this servers for example for someone else who maybe be thinking about breeding their own dogs their self.

and i havent thought of this yet, but my paco probably has something too, which i guess ill have to get him tested for.

Quote:
I lost my job the week after they started to have sex. And she was at the vet right before she had sex because i thought she might have a skin problem because her hair became really thin (but its all grown back now) The vet said he thinks she has hip displasia (i think that is what he said it was) I havent had money to go back and get it checked, or to get xrays to see.

Quote:
Hmm, this luxating thing, that sounds familiar actually. more familiar than hip displasia. I think perhaps he did say that, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wish I had known about it before they mated. our previous vet had never mentioned it.

Last edited by mninh0076; 08-23-2006 at 08:48 AM.