Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Active Pup

this is my last post on this thread/forum. I realize most of you mean well, regardless of how it comes out.

However, you people need to understand that not everyone is informed about dog breeding. it is not common knowledge. She is my first pet, and I take really good care of her.

No other vet had suggested that she had hip displasia, only the last one we went to. and that was AFTER she had concieved.

I didnt want to believe that she does, because it didnt make much sense. But i doubt he'd say that if she didnt.

Its not like I bred her knowing she had it, or even knowing I had to screen them for genetic malfunctions. I trusted what the breeder told us, and I didnt second guess it. My bad.

I've been doing alot of research now on dog breeding, to prepare myself for it. I have been trying take responsibility for what was a misinformed, bad decision.

Yes, I should have done the research before hand- I didnt realize it was anymore difficult than dogs breeding and having babies. my bad again.

I am going to go to another vet to see what he thinks about it (someone suggested getting someone elses opinion since two vets disagreed on it) I guess this time I will have the x-rays rather than listening to what they say.

And its not like I bred her regardless of her being a " pet quality" I didnt know the difference until I came here and saw a few posts. I was just looking for sound advice, not to start a war.

To the people that offered advice, even the harsh advice- thanks. For the people who turn their back on animals because they dont know how to address human ignorance other than shunning someone and furthermore allowing the ignorance continue- whatever- you people need to get over it- because i'm not the first, not the last, and its certainly going to happen for years. if you have knowledge on a subject, don't take a higher than thou approach and refuse to advise someone just because you disagree with them. Otherwise all you are doing is condoning that ignorance.

thanks again all
Old 08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Brittany

Good luck sweetie... I am wishing for the best.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Default sad

Hey hon, sorry to hear about your dog. I had posted something much longer and more heart felt, but I was timed out of the system.

Here is my opinion on this whole thing:
Being open minded would have been you saying, "I'd like to breed my bitch. What advice have you to give?"

Rather, you are the close minded one, dead set on breeding your dog, even though she has health problems.

The sad thing is, she will be the one to pay for your mistakes. And, her puppies won't even be breed worthy, and likely they'll have hip displasia.

I think that you leaving the forum is a bad idea. I think that the least thing you can do for your dog is to stick around and learn as much as you can from what's been posted, and also other people's posts.

And, the information is free and available. Obviously you have a computer- you could have googled dog breeding. There is no excuse for ignorance in this case.

I would hate to be in your shoes. Good luck to your dog.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mninh0076
To the people that offered advice, even the harsh advice- thanks.
You're welcome. If you'd like to discuss it any further for any reason, you can reach me at [email protected]. I am also going to ask my friend who shows and has bred her chihuahuas for her input (without sharing your screenname or anything, of course), in case you're curious what someone with experience would do in your situation.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Active Pup

I just meant it was my last post defending myself, I appreciate your comments, though like i said i found out after she had bred. but regardless, thanks for your help, and to rhinecat i will likely be in touch.

thanks guys
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I Love My Belgian

Hi there,

I recall you said you couldn't remember if it was hip dysplasia the vet was talking about --- he probably meant luxating patellas. They are VERY common in chis, a highly genetic problem. My friend's chi is going in for surgery to get his corrected.

Either way, both hip dysplasia and luxating patellas can be quite painful and uncomfortable for the dog. Judging by how hereditary both are, in all honesty I would consider aborting the litter. It's only my opinion, but if there is any question that the female isn't healthy, I think it'd be best for the puppies. Nothing should have to live their lives in pain and no owner should be faced with a several hundred dollar surgery because they didn't know any better. Because of her age, you may have to bottle feed the puppies anyways. It's just a risk I wouldn't take, personally, but it is your decision.

Atleast you know now about the difficulties of breeding, even if it is too late. Better late than never, I say. Perhaps if you are really interested in breeding, find a good breeder that does health testing and shows and does sports with their dogs, and get a puppy from them. A good breeder will become a mentor for you and help you along the way, and you can become involved in showing, and other fun events. Then when she reaches the appropriate age and passes her health tests, you can breed her.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Active Pup

Hmm, this luxating thing, that sounds familiar actually. more familiar than hip displasia. I think perhaps he did say that, but I'm not sure. Either way, I wish I had known about it before they mated. our previous vet had never mentioned it.

I've been reading this forum most the day. I'm very mad at myself and a bit upset that I've gotten myself into this situation. No one had mentioned it to me (health screening and such ), and we had asked the breeder when we got the pups her advice and we've followed what she told us to do to this point. We thought everything would be fine. Boy we were wrong.

I feel guilty now because she is pregnant. I dont agree with human abortions and ive never considered it wtih animals. So now i'm having a huge moral battle in myself over it. the babies are probably alive inside her now... i cant imagine killing them, and it just breaks my heart.

I've got a lot to think over. but we'll see what the third vet says and how the x rays turn out. if indeed she does have a genetic disorder, i may have no other choice but to abort the puppies. this is such a sad day.

I am begining to understand why so many people have been harsh on this forum.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Yorkie Love

I absolutley never believe in human abortion.

However, I think with animals sometimes it is better then the life they will live. Puppies born with genetic problems usually do not live good lives as they are very costly to care for and most people are not willing to spend the money.

As well, so many animals are euthanized every day because shelters are so full. Next time someone says they want a puppy from your dog, respond with "thank you so much, I really love my dog too. I am not breeding her, why dont you contact a local chi rescue and give a puppy who is already here a good life."

Good Luck with your decision, I am sure it is a hard one.

Elissa
Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Honey , I feel for you !! Obviously you care . I had to abort a litter.... the most painful thing I've ever done..... but for the welfare of the pups and the breed , it had to be done. A dog sitter allowed my female in heat our with her Dad or Brother or both, And yes , I'm anti abortion .... my grandson with DS is my sweetheart ! But he is ours .... who knows the fate those 8 pups would have had ! Obviously you care ... stick with us !!! We're behind you with your concerns. From what I hear , small breeds have problems whelping. From what I understand , the breeding wasn't your decision. Don't knock yourself !! We're here for you and your pup's welfare .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Top Dog

Wow... You bred your dog before she was even two?

I really hope you rethink your decision.

An abortion and spay all at once would be ideal.

Leave breeding to the people who know what they're doing. Who do proper health testing and plan on bettering (had to make up a word ) the breed.

Just because your dog is so cute doesn't mean that you should breed her.

I really, truly hope you decide against having a litter.

Take it from a lot of people on this board, I believe one woman almost lost her Chi not even a month ago!!!

Yes, HER DOG DIED ON THE OPERATING TABLE DURING A C-SECTION! They had to revive her dog!

There are SOOO many risks involved with toy/miniature breeds like Chi's it's best left to the people who know what they are doing! As you've stated you basically have no idea what's going on, just that they are "having sex" and puppies should come soon after. You don't know exactly when, but they should be coming.

Do it for the health of your dog.