Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

Default dogs

why breed when u can rescue.

its a shame that so many people are purchasing dos when their is so many in rescue. Dogs being pts as no room in kennels. Just thing of it as every dog bought from a breeder about to are pts

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 03-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Big Dog

I wish I knew the answer to that question.

I don't post much on this forum because it's depressing.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Dogs rule humans drool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpeilover
why breed when u can rescue.

its a shame that so many people are purchasing dos when their is so many in rescue. Dogs being pts as no room in kennels. Just thing of it as every dog bought from a breeder about to rescue dogs are pts
spelling is bad sorry

Visit my website on www.freewebs.com/animalllover
Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Felurian

If it were just me to consider, all my dogs would be rescues. My first dog, a mutt named copper, was a rescue. My first German Shepherd pup, Purdue, was given to my by my Nanny (grandmother), who had rescued his mother. Until Buffy, all of them after have been rescues.

Now, we need working dogs that do specific things and are suited for a particular environment (cows and coyotes), so we have the Fila Brasileiros - and Bimmer, who's a rescue.

There is room for reputable breeding AND rescue, but the key is that one word: reputable.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

homeless..if people had to see daily what you do, the world would be a different place. Your voice is so important! I spent one year working in a nursing home and my perspective was forever changes about the elderly..the same with the handicapped. I liked old people well enough, but there in lies the problem..i saw them as old people. AFter a year of caring for their discomfort I same them not as old but as PEOPLE! We walk thru life thinking we know and understand but until it truly hits us right where we live, we are essentially clueless. People need to hear you, and i hope you will post as often as you feel you should..i for one am rooting for you.
For farm and other types of working dogs as Renee stated, there is a need to produce dogs that are distinctive in what they can do. To take one home as a companion when so many thousands and thousands die daily without even being a first consideration is a crying shame.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Felurian

Homeless, you can be a BIG voice here. So many new members sign on to get advice on what kind of dog they should get. Your voice, your stories, your first-hand advice could make a real difference to some people. Most of us advise people to go to a local shelter or look into breed rescue if they really have their hearts set on a particular breed, and you could add a lot of weight to our arguments.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

I've always adopted rescue dogs from the shelter rather than buying from breeders and so far have always found them to be adorable dogs with so much love to offer!

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Big Mutts

Have to agree with you Vicki, there is nothing more adoable than a mutt. Our Carey is a rescue. I think they might love you a lil' more, knowing how bad a life they had or could of had.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:47 PM
no touchy

All three of my dogs are rescues, and all future dogs will be rescues also. I don't have a problem with someone going to a reputable breeder, but unless they want a showdog, I think checking a shelter first is a good idea--they could find the dog they've always wanted right there waiting for them.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
We are Home.

i have 2 rescues of my own a coonhound/shepard and a greyhound and i foster rescue greyhounds but my other 2 i got from breeders it just depends on what you want to do with the dog. i planned on breeding my two pits

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie