Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Default Shar pei / Labrador mix questions?

I found a puppy hidding behind one of the bushes on my back yard, he is probably a shar pei/ labrador mix as most people who've met him said so. I wonder what type of temperament I can expect him to have, and what types of health issues will he likely have, if any. Also, how big will he be at full grown?

He's absolutely a doll right now. He is VERY calm in comparison to Missy & Mocha, he lets me pet him while he eats, and touch his food without any problems. He doesn't seem to be a big barker even though he has been barked at & harrassed by Missy & Mocha . He's very friendly with people and dogs alike. Does a calm puppy always turn out to be a calm dog, or their personality will change as they grow up?

I'm still debating whether we're fitted to be his owner, or he'd be better off with someone else, as we already have two small dogs, will have a baby soon, and are both working fultime.

Thanks.

PS: I'll send some of his pics later tonite.

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:53 PM
LabBreeder

Just as with any other mix you can't know how big he'll be. He could have been bred with a large (100 lb) Lab and a 60 lb Shar Pei. You could end up with a 40 lb (taking after a smaller Shar Pei) up to 100 lb (taking after a very large Lab). You could have the temperament of either or a combination of both. You will have the hereditary problems of both (hip dysplasia, entropion, luxation, cherry eye, ear infections, stenotic nares, tight lips, malocclusion, hypothyrooidism, demodectic mange, oleosa, hot spots, skin odor, etc.) Most of those are related to the Shar Pei.
Basically, you've got a mix that could be like the Shar Pei - Regal, alert, intelligent, dignified, lordly, scowling, sober and snobbish essentially independent and somewhat standoffish with strangers, but extreme in his devotion to his family. The Shar-Pei stands firmly on the ground with a calm, confident stature....OR the Labrador - kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog.

There are so many ways your dog could turn out. What if he was the product of an agressive Shar Pei and a shy Lab? Then you've really got issues if he takes after his parents. Do you know where this dog came from? Why someone dropped it off?

Please post pics soon.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

we need pics!!!

although do do your research to try and find his owner first

there could be someone out there who is missing him very much

just call up shelters, get him scanned for a chip, etc

but again, we need pics!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

I have no ideas how & when it got to my yard. M&M started barking last Thursday at one of those bushes in my backyard (we have a 29,000 sf back yard, so I almost never get to the end of it), but I thought it was probably a stray cat or a mouse or something, so I didn't check. When their barkings continued, on Friday afternoon, I checked & found a dog!!

He was really shy at first. It took me three meals to lure him out of his hidding place. He didn't let me touch him at first. I had to sit still & let him sniff at me for a while, then he slowly allowed me to touch him. Now all he wants to do is to be touched. He follows me around like I've had him forever, and is very attached to me. Is it odd that he only craves for my attention, but doesn't seem to be interested in my husband at all?

Since I found him, I've posted his pictures around in the neighborhood, placed an ads in the local newspaper (missing pet section) - but it has been almost 5 days and no ones has claimed him yet

Thanks~Jessie~

Old 08-23-2006, 09:09 PM
LabBreeder

He was either dumped off (how old is he?), escaped from his home or is very, very lost and far from home.
Try putting posters up in a 25 - 50 mile radius of your home. Maybe someone moved and the pup escaped in the process. Hopefully someone will claim him soon.
It's not odd that he's attached to you. You found him, fed him, saved him from those barking dogs *M&M * and didn't hurt him when he was scared. You were the first nice person he'd probably seen since being lost/abandoned.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Owned by 3 mutts

How could someone not love this beautiful pup??

Thanks~Jessie~

Old 08-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Owned by 3 mutts

& here are my precious M&M

Thanks~Jessie~

Last edited by M&M's Mommy; 08-24-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:31 AM
Top Dog

Now there he is.........I wondered where MY dog had wandered off to, do me a favour and ship him back home to the UK.......kids miss him terribly

He really is a stunning looking dog and i can see why you'd want to keep him
Old 08-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

OMG! He is ADORABLE! You have to keep him and love him forever How do you know his next home will be as good as yours. Sometimes the ones that find YOU are the dogs that turn out to be the best dog you ever owned! Did I make you feel guilty yet I couldn't turn him away but I'm a BIG SUCKER ! Are you going to take him to the vet?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

Oooo, he is cute! Keep him! What a lovely puppy!