Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Heel Nipper

Default How did your breed do last year?

http://www.atts.org/statistics.html

Some of these numbers really surprised me.
I'm so glad the Chow Chow did so well, and the Fila as well.
And REALLY glad the APBT had a great score of 83%, considering the 100% were mostly if not all very rare breeds that there were only 1-3 of.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Happy

From the ATT's website:

Aggression here is checked against the breed standard and the dog's training.

A hint as to why some 'surprising' breeds did well. They essentially got graded on a curve.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Felurian

There is a special temperament test for the Fila, Casa, so you're right. Filas will fail if they show fear and if they do not at least stand in the face of a threat. They are expected to advance and neutralize the threat if they have the true Fila temperament though. A Fila must not flinch at gunfire, and, ideally, will go toward the source and do their best to disarm the shooter. It takes nerves of steel to be the person out there doing the Fila temperament test, lol!

So, if the correct temperament test was administered to the Filas, then this is a good sign that the true Fila temperament isn't being ruined. However, if the same standardized test was administered to the Fila as the rest of the breeds, then it's HORRIBLE news! It shows that the Fila breed is being ruined.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Kiss&Tell

IRISH WOLFHOUND

tested-90
passed- 80
failed- 10
percent 88.9%
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2
Old 08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
if the correct temperament test was administered to the Filas, then this is a good sign that the true Fila temperament isn't being ruined. However, if the same standardized test was administered to the Fila as the rest of the breeds, then it's HORRIBLE news! It shows that the Fila breed is being ruined.
I recognize that, and it's the reason I find this test odd. They allow for the reality of type and training in the testing, but then they pretend that the tests are an equal, fair evaluation of all breeds in general. This is ludicrous. Either you test them evenly, which means that you're going to inevitably be working against some dogs, or you admit that testing fairly within the breed/type/training is going to return results that make it look as if Filas were
equal to a Golden in terms of having a good temperament. Which may be true, but there's considerably more there to be explained, which is why I dislike seeing temperament tests used to 'prove' the worth of breeds.

And I also find some of their testing to be skewed toward the more sedate breeds, and unpersuasive. When did it become a major test of a good dog that they would not be reactive? I realize that many people involved in temperament debates these days are passionate defenders of the rather stolid mastiff types, and I'm a fan of the highly excitable collies and terriers, so I'm a little prejudiced here. But I've seen way too many non-reactive dogs who were highly aggressive to be convinced that the calmer the dog, the safer he/she is.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

LABRADOR RETRIEVER 676 tested 618 passed 58 failed 91.4%
as far as numbers go. labs had the most tested and the pass rate for the number of dogs tested is the best that I saw when looking through other breeds with similar amount of dogs tested. The only ones who got a higher percentage had very few tested.
Not too shabby.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1
I recognize that, and it's the reason I find this test odd. They allow for the reality of type and training in the testing, but then they pretend that the tests are an equal, fair evaluation of all breeds in general. This is ludicrous. Either you test them evenly, which means that you're going to inevitably be working against some dogs, or you admit that testing fairly within the breed/type/training is going to return results that make it look as if Filas were
equal to a Golden in terms of having a good temperament. Which may be true, but there's considerably more there to be explained, which is why I dislike seeing temperament tests used to 'prove' the worth of breeds.

And I also find some of their testing to be skewed toward the more sedate breeds, and unpersuasive. When did it become a major test of a good dog that they would not be reactive? I realize that many people involved in temperament debates these days are passionate defenders of the rather stolid mastiff types, and I'm a fan of the highly excitable collies and terriers, so I'm a little prejudiced here. But I've seen way too many non-reactive dogs who were highly aggressive to be convinced that the calmer the dog, the safer he/she is.
You're right. That can be very deceiving. Where your excitable-type dogs are barking and doing what excitable dogs do when they confront a problematic situation, the calm, seemingly non-reactive dog may simply be sizing things up and waiting for the right moment to "solve" the problem . . . or keep the "problem's" attention focused on it so its partner can come in unannounced.

The most fair and useful collation of test results would be to take tests devised to measure a certain breed or type of dog's character and temperament as recognized by the breed organizations and fully explain what was really being tested for.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Dog Show Addict

BELGIAN TERVUREN

Tested: 406
Passed: 313
Failed: 93
Percent:77.1 %

Wow am I ever surprised!! My Belgian did better then the Shelties~! lol

SHETLAND SHEEPDOG

Tested: 465
Passed: 311
Failed: 154
Percent: 66.9%
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Snow Girl

Siberian Husky

Tested - 276
Passed - 239
Failed - 37

I really want to get the boys tested!!!!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Who woulda thought <3

CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
Tested - 9
Passed - 7
Failed - 2
Percent - 77.8%