Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's CD
Ex) Your playing with your puppy. You want the toy so you can throw it. You say "drop it", and take the toy.
Louie loves tug. If I try to take the toy, he'll start a game of tug. He loves tug so much he'll bring a toy over to my hand and start to pretend I'm trying to take it

I was teaching him how to retrieve, with tug as his reward... it worked pretty well... but I'm not sure how to get him to drop it. When treats are involved he stops wanting to play with toys. He loves food even more than he loves tug
Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Top Dog

With Roxy and Hades, there was no treat involved. I'm a bit of a meanie when it comes to certain things, and personally, I just don't feel, being the alpha, that I should have to "trade" you for anything.

Say we were playing tug with the rope. First off with tug, I NEVER let Roxy or Hades "win". They never get the rope by pulling and tugging furiously. And when I say "Enough!" they must drop it immediately. Both of those commands/ ways of playing tug will help ensure that this what can be fairly agressive game does not lead to dominance in everyday situations.

With the rope for ex. He is tugging. You say "drop it!" or "enough!" (I use drop it for things that they are not allowed to have in their mouth or I don't want them to touch anymore, "Enough!" is used ONLY for playing with toys).

So, I say "Enough!", and stop pulling back on the toy. He probably won't drop it right away. He may persist by tugging and trying to play. Ignore him. Only say the command once. Don't make eye contact. Pretend he isn't there, but keep a tight grip on the toy! Do NOT let him get it! Eventually, he should let go and sit back and look at you like, "Why aren't you playing anymore mom?", Than you reward with praise, and you can play again.

The mentality of "Enough!" is very similar to that of "leave it/take it".

With leave it, you only say the command once, and the dog is forced to figure out how to get the treat on their own. They try to knaw your hand and lick it, and that doesn't work... than when they move away you reward that behaviour. So they learn, that when mom says "leave it", if I move away I get the treat!

Same with "enough!", when mom says enough, I drop the toy, then we play again!

Of course later on, "enough!" and "leave it" are used without reward sometimes, maybe just verbal.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

OK, sorry you've just got a lot of questions, (not that that's a bad thing! And they're great questions!) so I had to regroup! LOL

So with down. He is still very young, very young to even be going down at all! So give yourself a pat on the back for that one.

Do it, three times, luring him down. When he goes to paw or sniff your hand for the treat, pull your hand back so he can't. If he stays down, (he'll probably get up to follow your hand) reward him! Only wait a second or two after pulling back!

If he moves, "eht!" or "ah ah", and put him back in the down position. Wait a second or two and reward.

Do you know the hand signal for down?

You put a treat in your hand, raise your hand vertically above your head, than bring it down. On your way down, you put the treat by their nose, so they catch a good whiff, and then slowly bring it down. He should follow your hand to the ground.

(Seeing as he's so small, I'd probably do this on my knees)

After he's listening reliably to the command/signal, try just one or the other. Perhaps just the verbal command, than there's no way that he can pounce on your hand for the treat.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, he is still *very* young and doing so well it sounds already!

As for "calm" or "settle". I just use "sshhht". If my guys get over excited about something a quick, in human terms what would be considered rude, "ssssht" always does the trick.

IMO, how I do "sshht" or "calm", is 99% based on my body language and demeanor. I don't yell, or scream, or spaz out. It's a very calm, confident body language and tone. Very relaxed. (Had to add, disgusted came to mind as well, when re-reading... like I'm disgusted with the behaviour, if that makes any sense at all! LOL )

And for clipping nails, a lot of people get messed up when the dog struggles and they say: "Oh quiet baby! It's ok! Just ssh, calm down, your fine, it's okay baby.." etc. You get my drift.

If either of my guys struggles to get up while I'm clipping nails (Which is basically never, BUT if someone knocks on the door, or they hear something outside they will) A very firm, "Hades. Stop it. It's fine". That's it. Firm, authoritative voice. No baby talk. No goochie goochie. Very firm. Not angry, or yelling. Stern I guess would be the best word

Hope I helped you out!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Puppy Dog

I know, I have a lot of questions! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! This is some great stuff!

I guess it's easier to take the toy away from a dog who doesn't actually lift off the ground if you pull the toy up. I will try just hanging on until he finally gives up -- that might work. Thanks!

Also, I hear ya on the goochie goochie stuff -- I just say "hold still" and hold him and wait until he holds still. If he really struggles, I say "Hey!" and then back to "hold still."

Also I think it was Doberluv who said make sure I work on "watch me" -- we did work on that in puppy class a little bit, but I use his name as the command. I want his name to cause an automatic "look at me" response. I used Shirley Chong's lesson where she just says the cue, clicks, treats, over and over. (http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/Lesson6.html)

It's not quite there yet, but obviously he's still young. He'll pay attention to me when I have treats, but if he knows I don't have anything and he's got something interesting going on, he pretty much ignores me. But she does say to do this something like three times a day for a week I've done it three or four times in the last three weeks or so :/

Obviously I can't give him treats all the time -- when one meal consists of about 40 pieces of kibble, a few additional treats add a lot! The best is when I can use parts of his dinner. Thank goodness he's so excited about food that he even gets excited about an individual piece of kibble!

He's so cute. I love puppies.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Active Pup

Default Hi Sourjayne

Hi Sourjayne,

It sounds like your doing a great job already! Louie's still only a pup so remember to take it easy and get all the basics done really well, also it sounds like he's very bright and eager to please you. Thats the first step to teaching any command or trick.

Young pups haven't got fully developed brains yet so they have a little trouble 'focusing' so keep it all really fun and quite slow and you can't go wrong. Also thier little doggie brains absorb everything they see and hear and commands like 'off the couch' will become obvious to him after a while - just keep saying it to him and lift him off the couch and onto the floor, and he'll get the jist of it very quickly.

I've never been into clicker training, i train my dog Olive (small Jack russell terrier) with rewards and play and have had excellent results.

The pouncing on your hand/fingers thing is almost automatic to a youngster pup like yours. They just see a blur of movement (as their occipital lobes are still developing) and want to catch it. If you persist he will get it, but try to keep your hand movements nice and slow and keep your hand gestures all very distinct from each other. Keeping your hand gesture way out of reach is another good way of avoiding 'the pounce'!

Hand gestures are excellent prompts for commands (especially with voice commands too), as you've got two triggers for the command you're twice as likely for your pup remember what to do!

I just point to the ground now and Olive just dives for the 'lie down' position! but it does take a while.

Also i found that doing the very simple tricks you know he knows, and rewarding when he gets it perfectly right, is always a good training session starter, keep doing the basics every day and he'll start to realize he DOES understand you, he's just got to think about it a little.

Have you taught him the 'Drop it' command yet? it's very easy and will stop you lifting him off the ground

Here's olive doing some of our fun tricks!

'Roll over' - my favorite! and a nice easy one to teach.

'Spin'

'Beg'

I think you've done really well so far, just keep it nice and slow paced. It's obvious Louie loves you! and thats the start of a great training relationship! I think you've got a winner!

Good luck with your future training!

J and Olive
Old 08-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHolland
Have you taught him the 'Drop it' command yet? it's very easy and will stop you lifting him off the ground
Olive is too cute!
The lifting him off the ground comment came after I asked how to teach Drop it and Roxy suggested I just take the toy. I explained that I can't just take it without taking him with it So I guess I just have to hang on, no tug, and wait for him to let go. Still not too sure on that one...

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!