Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Quigleyfied

Default Pet Dachshund vs. Working Dachshund

The topic came up in another thread that I didn't want to hijack, so here's my post on working vs. pet dachshunds.

I've been a huge dachshund fan going on 20 years but don't currently own one myself. My wirehaired standard unfortunately died last year. Here's a pic of her:

While I love the breed, I really don't like the direction a lot of breeders have taken, especially here in the US, where the dachshund was/is barely used for hunting anyway. It's always sad to see breeds split up into "show lines" and "working lines", but I think there are few other breeds out there affected as much as dachshunds are.

Here's a comparison table, the dogs on the left are all AKC pointed dachshunds, on the right dogs from german working lines who have either scored "sehr gut" (very good) or higher in German conformation shows, but also have performance titles and are actually used for hunting (fox, raccoon, badger etc.) and tracking:
http://mordanna.com/dachshund/dachshund.html

There are a few breeders in the US who breed to the German patent breed club's standard, but most of the "regular" breeders seem to prefer producing dogs that don't look anything like what a dachshund is supposed to look like.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Twin 2.0

The German ones have a lot longer legs...wow. They might actually be able to move!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I really do love those German Dachs!

PS - You mistyped "longhair" on the AKC Smooth Dach on that link.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Quigleyfied

Bleh - typo fixed. lol

Those dogs can move like nobody's business. My dachshund outran many larger dogs.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Walks into Mordor

Wow, great pics! Looks like the working lines are much "sportier" looking than the show lines.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Who woulda thought <3

WOW I love how much sportier the German Dach look...

Last edited by jess2416; 08-21-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Top Dog

wow!! Now THAT it what a Dach should look like!! Absloutly GORGEOUS! I especially like the black and tan smooth coat pictured.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Top Dog

This is how I've felt the last 20 years in the Golden Retrievers..... why they shorten the legs, gets me !!! I read an article then in the National Mag. by a judge who even said then that their natural gait was being ruined ! Such a sorry lot that so many in " the ring " go by what the " Judges " are looking for .... I can't blame them for Championships ... ( it's their life ) .... but when I look back to my pictures of the 1945 Golden Hall of Fame ... Rip ... he wouldn't even be allowed in the ring today ! ( My Point's Dad ! )

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 AM
Puppy Dog

Mordy, thanks for this post. I was unaware of the differences but now that I see them side by side, I realize that Tibbetts does look different then many Dachshunds we see when walking. He looks exactly like the german smooth, not the AKC smooth. He has the longer legs, stronger face, etc.

I have been considering training Tibbetts for field trials. His attention span is great and he loves training. Well, anyway, thanks again Mordy.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Quigleyfied

The difference is quite stunning, especially when you actually see those dachsies moving.

thoughts_refracted, if Tibbetts loves training, definitely go for it. You'll have fun and your dog will have a more fulfilled life.

I never got into dog sports with my Ellie, but I know she would have enjoyed it. She would have had a blast doing agility too.

For those of you who haven't seen it in the other thread, here's a pic of my "dream dachshund" - a dog from a litter of the sire and dam I'd really like a puppy from:

He's on the small side, the type earthdog people prefer - approximately 11 pounds. In Germany dachshunds are classed by chest circumference at a minimum of 15 months old:
- 30 cm (11.8 inches) and under: Kaninchenteckel (translates to "rabbit dachshund", for hunting rabbits)
- 30 cm to 35 cm (11.8 to 13.8 inches): Zwergteckel (miniature )
- over 35 cm (13.8 inches): Teckel (standard dachshund), the upper limit for weight is around 19.8 pounds, 16-18 pounds are average for a standard.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!