Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Bobsk8

Default Terrible Story

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...y/15310145.htm
Old 08-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Faint

Quote:
ferocious attack never before seen in Broward County, a powerful, pit-bull-like dog mauled its owner to death
Why don't they just say Presa Canario?
Well, of course they have to mention pit bull somewhere in the article to grab the readers attention.

But besides that, poor lady. You have to wonder what made the dog that way, however...a dog doesn't just one day decide to maul it's owner...

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

hmmm, I wonder who made the dog that way.... lets see about this below

Quote:
In December 2002, she was charged with having a vicious animal, having an animal with no current rabies vaccination and no animal registration. The next year, she was ordered to pay $1,100, records show. It was never paid.
It indicates this incident and aother one where logged against her. Having no rabies vaccination is a sure sign of a terrible owner. Of course we don't know for sure if she did anything physically bad to those dogs or if the dogs where already agresive when adopted or what, but its very suspicious isnt it.

The story also goes on to say that the dogs where mean according to neighbors and she did not have control over her dog when she was walking one of them. The dog must of been attacking for alpha control I guess after it did not want to be bathed?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
...a powerful, pit-bull-like dog mauled its owner to death...
^^

All I can say is oh brother! People need to get a grip these days, a Presa is NOT a pit bull.

That article just made me sick to my stomach. I feel so badly for the woman. But the owner(s) is obviously not responsible enough to own a respected breed such as the Presa.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
LabBreeder

Just another stupid owner IMO.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Faint

Quote:
hmmm, I wonder who made the dog that way.... lets see about this below

Quote:
In December 2002, she was charged with having a vicious animal, having an animal with no current rabies vaccination and no animal registration. The next year, she was ordered to pay $1,100, records show. It was never paid.

It indicates this incident and aother one where logged against her. Having no rabies vaccination is a sure sign of a terrible owner. Of course we don't know for sure if she did anything physically bad to those dogs or if the dogs where already agresive when adopted or what, but its very suspicious isnt it.

The story also goes on to say that the dogs where mean according to neighbors and she did not have control over her dog when she was walking one of them. The dog must of been attacking for alpha control I guess after it did not want to be bathed?
If that was directed to me: I did definitely see that she was a bad owner, I wondered what in particular did she to the dog (probably over time) for it to become aggressive enough to attack her. I understand that it's the owner's fault.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Love My KEEShond

Quote:
Later, two Coral Springs officers shot the dog to death. It fell into a large backyard pool, its leash still snaking from its collar.
Why do they have to describe it? Any way a dog dies is terrible, having to describe how makes it worse...

Comparing the breed to a pit-bull really angered me. I mean, its not! Why drag pit-bulls into it when they already have such a bad reputation, and it didn't even do it!

Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for the woman. But why would a dog turn on you and kill you just for giving it a bath.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

First of all , I'm most sorry for her children to have witnessed this . I looked up the breed and it's actually a rather rare breed of mastiff and Bulldog breeding. They also said it is a powerful breed that needs a knowledgeable handler. From what I saw ... there's only one breeder listed in Florida. I would imagine that they aren't cheap. So , my thoughts are... an affluent young Mom decides on a " macho " breed ( maybe to impress her boy friend ? ) and actually buys 2 !! I'm sorry for the Mom and the dog .... but this could have been her kids or others. I love all dogs, but I certainly have ( and would ) pick my breeds with history consequences in mind . ANY breed that has pit fighting in it's past, has to be carefully scrutinized .... this was such a breed. No, I'm not putting down Pit Bulls... hopefully they have now been bred enough to remove the killer instinct. I'm just saying some new owners have to leave their " heart's desire " behind them ,.... the safety of the family , others and themselves come first. Why lose a life or a dog because of an ego ?? The 17 month old attacked here in April is still in the hospital , up graded to " good " ...... they feel it will be another 2 years before she'll be released . All this because a neighbor wanted a " watch dog " ... who got loose.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/