Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Brittany

Talking Ok, don't laugh!

Ok, don't laugh, but I live in a gated community and we have a bulletin board online for people in the commmunity selling or looking for something... Well, I cam across a dog crate for $20!!! Well, nothing was stated except for that there was a crate, so I e-mailed the seller asking if I could have some pictures, so she sent some to me. Well, turns out the cage is fit for a grown Labrador Retriever! I just think this is so funny because I will be getting a Lhasa Apso PUPPY! SO, now I bought it, and the cage takes up about half of my room! I guess you can never spoil a dog too much though, lol... Just thought that this was a funny story to share with all the other dog lovers out there
Old 08-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Brittany

Ok, just wanted to say that after reading this I realized I started almost every sentence with Well, lol...
Old 08-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

lol

i hate to say it but having a crate that size for a puppy the size your getting kinda takes away the point of the crate,
the point being that the dog will not soil the crate because they dont want to have to sit in it and because that is where they sleep,
with a crate that size the rule wont apply because the puppy will be able to move around the crate to much.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Faint

That was a great deal! But Steven is right. The size of the crate should only be so that they can stand, stretch and turn around comfortably - no bigger, or else they will soil it like anywhere else and not care because they can just go to the other side - the point of the crate is that it's the dogs den, and the reason why so many people use it is because pups don't want to soil their sleeping quarters.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Brittany

oh really? as you can tell, i am not that puppy knowledgeable. Of course, the puppy will be trained in the cage, but for the most part I bought it for him to sleep in so he won't have any accidents in the house at night time... Thank you for that information though... I really want to spoil this puppy as much as possible without having it be snotty or not listen to me, lol...
Old 08-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Faint

You'll train him in the crate or train him to use the crate?
Also, that's just what he'll do - he'll have accidents in it and not care one bit because he can just stay away from the mess.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Brittany

I plan on training him to use the crate... Well, even though it might not be right for my puppy, it was still a great deal... Worse case scinario, I can just sell the cage on ebay for $50 or so and buy the proper size crate... Thanks for your help guys, I really want to help this puppy grow up the right way!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Walks into Mordor

The others are right, but I still think it's great to have a crate that size.

I'd buy a small kennel to potty train him initially. Once he's reliably potty trained, use the big kennel to keep him in when nobody's home. That way, he has plenty of room to run and play without getting into puppy mischief in your house!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Brittany

Ok, that's great advice! Will do!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

You can just section off part of the crate with cardboard or something.