Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Crazy Dog!

You might try buying those 'puppy potty pads' that are scented and put one outside. See if that will make her go. Whatever they 'scent' them with is suppossed to make puppies want to use the bathroom. Only other option is probably trying to crate her and only let her outside to potty until she is pottying outside every time you take her. Of course, if she is used to pee'ing in her cage it won't work. It is worth a try.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

If you use pads in the house, take a used pad outside and leave it until she starts going outside, also stop using them in the house (if you do).
If you are not using pads, just pic up the solid accidents and place them in the spot outside that you want her to go. For pee just wipe it up with a paper towel and set the paper towel outside too in that spot.
Hopefully you are crate training and complete supervision while not in crate.
The morning after you put her excrements outside would be a great time to start. She will have to go really badly when let out of the crate in the morning (unless of course she goes in there), anyway, don't let her paws touch the floor, carry her out to the spot where you put her pee and poo, and set her down. When she goes , praise her up and give her a hunk of meat something really good. Keep it up, and I am sure she will get the hang of it.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

Maybe if your pup is relieving itself in one area you can put down paper or the puppy training pad and get her to go on it.. then put it outside.. and make sure the next time she relieves herself it's outside.. might help her get the idea..

Edit: Heehee.. what julie said!

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 08-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Faint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabBreeder
Your dog, unfortunately, has probably never been outdoors to potty or do anything else. In your case you will need to be extra, extra vigilant and be more than willing to invest alot of time in your pet store puppy.

*BTW, not ALL petstore pups come from puppy mills. Petsmart and Petco have the local animal shelters bring the dogs/cats in order to get them adopted out.*
I said they come from either puppy mills OR bybs. Reputable breeders would never sell to pet stores. When Petco and Petsmart have cats and dogs, they're adoption events. I don't consider those pet stores at all (although I guess I could see how some people do).

I don't think a pup is sold at a 'reduced price' because it's getting too old at an adoption event anyway.

What elegy said. OutlineACDs, that's a great idea.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

I think the trick here would be getting her out first thing in the morning. Before she's gone inside. I don't care how badly she wants to hold it, if you take her outside AS SOON AS YOU GET UP!!!! She will go outside, she won't have a choice. You will have to out wait her tho, you may be outside for an hour first thing in the morning, but I've never met a puppy that didn't do it's business as soon as it woke up from a nights sleep.
You'll have to give up the morning coffee...brushing your teeth, and jumping in the until she understand she gets treats and praise for going outside.
Have her crated at night, hopfully she doesn't mess in her crate, then pick her up out of the crate, carry her outside and don't leave her side until she's gone.
good luck