Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Active Pup

Default Dog at pet store to long

We just bought a lab from a pet store because it was there to long and it was a good deal but we are having problems with going out to do her duty. What she does is goes out and waits to come back in to go. We got are other dog when she was young so it wasn't to hard to train. How do I make her relize that outside is the place to do her duty? I kept her outside with me for 2 hours and she did nothing untill we came inside.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Faint

She most probably doesn't recognize the outdoors as her potty area, because ever since she was born she could eliminate wherever she pleased. First the puppy mill or BYB where she was born, then the pet store (pet stores ONLY get their pups from puppy mills and bybs). If she was born at a puppy mill (which is probably the case), I'd bet that she never even eliminated once on grass in her life. Being in the pet store so long makes it even tougher to housebreak her. Persistance is key. Always bring her to the same spot to go potty. She will have to eventually! Good luck.

http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33442

Thanks Keyodie!

Last edited by MK&C; 08-20-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

Yep that is one of the problems you get when you buy puppy mill dogs. Just keep persisting and don't give up. You may want to get her into some obsdience classes too or something.

That is fine that you saved her and I am sure she is an otherwise great dog but please don't buy dogs from pet shops anymore. It just shows your support of puppy mills and backyard breeders and we want to stop them not encourage them. They are horrible places and produce sick, badly bred animals. Just to keep in mind for future reference. No big deal if you didn't realize how bad pet shops really are but just consider it next time you are looking for a dog.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Active Pup

The problem is she has yet to go outside no matter how long I keep her out for.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Brittany

Well, believe it or not, we gt Cody when he was 14 weeks being the oldest puppy at the pet store, and we had no problem training him thank god! Good luck with your new baby, and congratulations as well! I'm sure she will learn sooner or later!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Active Pup

This one was born in April and besides the house training she is very quick learner. We already have her sitting laying and coming when she is called. I just can not get her to go outside. I have been taking her out every 30 minutes and she will wait to come inside to go. I had her outside today for over two hours and she did not go outside once.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Brittany

hmmm, That's so strange? I think most dogs love to hear the word "outside", and they usually come right away... My baby sure does, lol... I hope that she will learn to go outside for ya. Maybe get her a tie-out and watch her from your kitchen window, or any window that you can see her from... That way, you won't have to watch her every second, but she will have all the time she needs to get used to going outside. Also, just a suggestion, some dogs feel "uncomfortable" when humans watch them go to the bathroom, so if you pretended to look away or something like that she will try to go? Just a few ideas, lol.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Twin 2.0

My guess is that she is so used to going inside that she has no concept of doing anything else. You are going to have a very very tough time housebreaking her, and it's possible she may never be fully trustworthy indoors.

Take her out every 30 minutes and make her run about, this will stimulate her to 'go' more than if she was just walking around. Then praise like crazy and give her lots of yummy food treats immediately after she finishes going. This will start to form a connection that going outside is a wonderful thing!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
LabBreeder

Your dog, unfortunately, has probably never been outdoors to potty or do anything else. In your case you will need to be extra, extra vigilant and be more than willing to invest alot of time in your pet store puppy.

*BTW, not ALL petstore pups come from puppy mills. Petsmart and Petco have the local animal shelters bring the dogs/cats in order to get them adopted out.*
Old 08-20-2006, 09:51 PM
overdogged

she has no idea that outside is for pottying. she makes no connection between grass/outside and pottying.

so you need to get her outside and KEEP her outside until she goes. don't give her the option of going back inside. take a book, take a chair, and hang out on grass until she goes. then praise her and take her in. you need to out-wait her, pure and simple.

when she's inside, keep her tethered to you so that you are aware if she starts making "potty signals" and then you can take her outside again until she goes.

it's going to be hard and it's going to take patience and extra vigilence on your part.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?