Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Puppy Dog

I seriously thought about an aussie shepherd, I think they are gorgeous, but I'm not sure there are many breeders near me at all. I'll certainly look into it!

I've been frosted!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Faint

If you live in America there is a breeder referral here:

http://www.australianshepherds.org/directory.html

Some day when I get my Aussie, I know I'd be getting one from someone listed there.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Puppy Dog

England I'm afraid! There is one breed according to the Kennel Club, and they are about 1.5 to 2 hours away which isn't to bad. But surely an aussie shepherd is similar to a border collie, which I have been advised against? Sorry to be so hard to please, I jut want to make the right choise....

I've been frosted!
Old 08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Uffda!

If you go with a good breeder an ESS would be an excellent choice. Their coat can be difficult but it depends on how you keep it and also whether it is a field or bench springer. Field bred springers have less hair. Bench springers have the long beautiful show coat, but you can always have it trimmed. I had a springer growing up and we had her shaved during the summer just to keep her a bit cooler. If you really would like to learn more about springers you could join a springer group on yahoo and talk to the people there. You'll have to make a yahoo account. Good luck on your search!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ESS-L2/?yguid=215926375
Old 08-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Puppy Dog

I'm not sure what to tell you hon...

Keeshonden are extremely smart, very pretty, great in agility and obedience...but VERY stubborn. Plus, the hair is too much for most people.

I chose them for their temperement as they are renowned as great dogs for kids and families (plus, I love the wolfey look!)

Any kind of working dog you get will be very high energy. Same for herding dogs.

From what you're saying, I'd consider getting a golden retriever.

A friend of mine got a spaniel of some kind- not sure what kind he was. But he was very very hyper and had a dominating personality that their family was unequipped to handle, as they are busy people.

What about a smooth collie? Those are some great dogs, too!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Golden's are a good idea, although don't they shed ALOT? Shouldn't be a problem. I'll join the news group, thanks for that!

I've been frosted!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Walks into Mordor

Since you seem to be worried about shedding, how about a miniature or standard poodle? They're very smart, active and do great in agility and obedience. While they do require clipping, they don't shed.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Faint

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Alice.
England I'm afraid! There is one breed according to the Kennel Club, and they are about 1.5 to 2 hours away which isn't to bad. But surely an aussie shepherd is similar to a border collie, which I have been advised against? Sorry to be so hard to please, I jut want to make the right choise....
An Aussie from show lines are alot calmer than Borders, and there are a couple other differences in temperment between the two, I don't know to what extent they are true (I'm getting the info from dogbreedinfo). You can compare the two there

http://dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm
http://dogbreedinfo.com/bordercollie.htm

I also agree with Gempress, standard poodles are marvelous dogs and fit your description well. My friend has one and he is a doll.

Thanks Keyodie!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Puppy Dog

After reading that, the Australian SHepherd sounds perfect for what I want. I will definatly look into the standard poodle aswell. Thankyou SO much!

I've been frosted!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:55 PM
call me speed :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I'd nix the Irish Setter... lovely, but bone headed...guess my choice !!
I quite disagree. My grandparents have had numerous Irish Setters, and they are wonderfully intelligent, in my experience with them. They do need lots of exercise though, or they will be very hyper and difficult to work with. boneheaded would be the last word I would use to describe an Irish Setter. If it's a pet though, do not get a field bred dog, as they require even more exercise. I think Austrailian Shepherds are wonderful dogs, I'm acually considering getting one myself. I don't really like poodles much, but that's just my personal opinion. Golden Retrievers are great dogs, but they do shed a lot. However, if you get them clipped during the summer when it's hot and brush them out every day, you shouldn't have a problem.

German Shorthaired Pointer Advocate