Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Active Pup

Default Question?

And honestly not meant to be inflammatory:

why do pit bull owners seem like they want to breed their dog more often than other dog owners? In the South (and in the West too) there are a CRAP LOAD of pits/pit mixes in shelters that are going to end up being killed because, let's face it, no one wants these dogs. I wouldn't adopt a pitbull if it were the last dog in the shelter (and I have adopted several dogs). What's the deal? What makes your breed so special? Why not get them fixed? Not a lot of people want pits, seriously. Most lay people think they bite children and kill other dogs. I don't see bichon or lhaso apso owners breeding their dogs like wild fire (though, for some reason, Chi owners seem to want to propogate that tragic little breed, even though they have numerous behavioral problems). I would never dream of breeding my dog(s) because I have a conscience. I wonder what happens to everybody else?

[end rant]
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

We're loaded with litters here !!! Most I think are for fighting or chaining up !! When they don't sell , the go to the HS , where hopefully they will find good owners like those here on Chaz. I saw an ad pinned on a Liquor Store building yesterday.....good breeder ??? Doubt it !!! They were $300 to $400, Sigh !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 AM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
We're loaded with litters here !!! Most I think are for fighting or chaining up !! When they don't sell , the go to the HS , where hopefully they will find good owners like those here on Chaz. I saw an ad pinned on a Liquor Store building yesterday.....good breeder ??? Doubt it !!! They were $300 to $400, Sigh !
::Giggles::
Old 08-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Top Dog

And why wouldn't you ever adopt a pit?

I hope your reasons aren't some type of stero type

I dont know how it is in the states, but where I live, pits aren't really any more abundant than any other breed. There are BYB's of every breed.

I assume people breed pits more because of the stero type that they are "tough" dogs. Just my guess, haven't really encountered it first hand.

I know in my town there were quite a few litters right before the pitbull ban went into effect, the whole supply and demand. But surprisingly its actually cooled off since. Rottweilers are the breed now in my city. I was offered a 6 month old rotty a few weeks ago. Long story...
Old 08-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Top Dog

Aww don't say you wouldn't adopt a pit bull if it were the last dog in the shelter...there are some really great pits out there. If they are raised right I know they are great with children and protective over their family.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Top Dog

Very good point. My little Hades is amazing with my niece and nephew. Puts up with them crowding him and constantly cuddling him and engaging him in play. NOT ONCE has he ever showed any type of negative respsonse including ignoring them! He lovingly plays with them and cuddles and puts up with them dressing him up!

The last word I would ever use to describe Hades would either be dominant or aggressive.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Crazy Dog!

Pits are available in great abunance here. I am one of the ones who would never choose to own a pit. Not because of reputation, its just not my breed. I love my cattle dogs.

I realize they do tend to have a reputation that follows them, and honestly, a lot of the people who I see owning those breeds are usually SCARED of dogs! I guess if they are scared of their own dog everyone else should be too? I dont know. But Im not kidding, people who are afraid to pet dogs in Petsmart, or who are scared to hand me my food at a drive thru because I have a well behaved dog in my backseat, who I know have dogs of their own chained out in their back yard. It just really puzzles me.

Just seems to me that there are 5 responsible pit owners for every 95 irresponsible ones out there. Im sure all of the responsible ones are here on chaz anyway
Old 08-14-2006, 03:23 AM
I Love My Belgian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
I don't see bichon or lhaso apso owners breeding their dogs like wild fire
I completely disagree. There may be more homeless pits, but small breeds are bred ALOT more than pit bulls. Small breeds are the "thing" right now. How many puppy mill seizures do you hear of that involve pit bulls? Not alot. They all involve the small breeds -- bichons, yorkies, poms, chis, maltese, shih tzu, lhasas, havanese, cockers, poodles, etc.

What makes them so special? You can ask the same about ANY breed. There are alot of breeds that not alot of people want, including mine. so why do people breed Belgians? Once again, it could be asked of any breed. Pits are not the most common dog in shelters -- labs are. So what makes labs so special? They are the most commonly owned dog --- which means that they certainly aren't unwanted. I would assume pit bulls would be the same.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Top Dog

I find it quite sad that you generalise so much on dogs, all badly bred dogs are tragic, not only Chi's.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Quote:
And why wouldn't you ever adopt a pit?

I hope your reasons aren't some type of stero type
i was just about to ask the same question

Quote:
though, for some reason, Chi owners seem to want to propogate that tragic little breed, even though they have numerous behavioral problems).
since when did chihuahuas have behavioral problems???????

Quote:
bichon or lhaso apso owners breeding their dogs like wild fire
actually with the new craze in "designer mutts" people are really overnbreeding these dogs

Quote:
I completely disagree. There may be more homeless pits, but small breeds are bred ALOT more than pit bulls. Small breeds are the "thing" right now. How many puppy mill seizures do you hear of that involve pit bulls? Not alot. They all involve the small breeds -- bichons, yorkies, poms, chis, maltese, shih tzu, lhasas, havanese, cockers, poodles, etc.
i completely agree

Quote:
I find it quite sad that you generalise so much on dogs, all badly bred dogs are tragic, not only Chi's.
i completely agree, i think you have generalised alot of breeds in your post, and most of them in a bad way