Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Default Leash Training Problems

I'm having some major leash training issues. Bentley is 4 1/2 months and STILL pulls on the leash and will pull on it to the point of gagging himself (he's a small dog). I just can't seem to get him to walk beside me.. any tips?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Brittany

I'm not really sure, but I would like to know as well, because my Cody does that still and he's 10!!! What I am going to do for him is buy a harnest, so atleast he can't hurt himself when he pulls... Also, you can buy a retractalbe leash, so if you wants to go somewhere you don't he can, without choking himself, and you can still put it on lock if he gets too far! Just my 2 cents, LOL
Old 08-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

I have a harness, but he hates it and refuses to walk. I also have the retractable leash, but he still just pulls and pulls no matter if it's on the short or long length. Thanks for the help though and good luck w/Cody!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Brittany

Thanks sweetie, good luck to you too! I know someone here will have an answer!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I use a slip lead. It acts like a choker but is softer since its made of soft rope.
What I do is I will walk with the dog and change direction often. When I change direction I pull pull pull...call come come come...or heel whichever command you want to use. I would use heel so that come is used for when they are further away from you. When pulling you should have the slip lead up against the back of the head and not down towards the shoulders. This gives you more controll over the head and you dont have to wrestle so much with body wieght. So lets say your walking and your dog pulls. You pull back in short small pulls with the command to heel. Keep pullling untill the dog is in heel position and continue to walk. Do this everytime your dog pulls and when its at heel praise praise praise. Your dog will learn that the comfortable more fun zone is where you are.
I would walk in what I call a square. So you are constantly changing direction so the dog has to pay attention to you. Go forward 15 feet then turn and go forward 15 feet then turn untill you have done a square. When turning pull pull pull and encourage the dog to heel with a positive heel command. Eventually you will not have to pull or pop the collar to get your dog aligned with you. Dont always go in the same direction and at first do this in a area where there are minimal distractions. Keep your training sessions very short. I would start with doing only one square then lots of play after the session. Always end on a good note and always praise when the dog is obeying the command.
Im sure I am forgetting something so I am sure someone else will chime in.

If you cannot visualize what is being said go to a puppy class. This will help you as a owner and trainer. I highly suggest the puppy class.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Momof7, that is actually really helpful. I'll look into getting a slip lead and start on that
Old 08-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

That's what I use.

As soon as the leash got taut, I'd turn around and walk quickly the other way holding the leash tight. Yes, they get a leash correction. As soon as they catch up, "Good boy! Good heel!" lots of praise, so they understand that's the position you want them in.

The first few times don't plan on walking far! You'll probably have about 20 foot of sidewalk you'll back and forth down 100 times, but it does work, quite well.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

I've spent the last few months bemoaning the fact that Meg pulls on leash. It doesn't really present a huge problem for me, as she is almost never on a leash (I generally hike her off-leash), but I really wanted her to be good. I finally decided to do something about it, and after about four sessions, she has almost stopped pulling.

I really didn't want to use leash corrections on her, so I strapped on my treat bag, grabbed a clicker, and went out. The first couple of times, I didn't go far at all - maybe 15 or 20 yards down the sidewalk and back. I'd click and treat whenever the leash was loose, and just stop and stand still if she reached the end. She probably got a couple dozen treats on that first walk, but she did well. She already knew the clicker, and she really "gets" training and learning, so I think that helped. One of the big things to keep in mind if you try this is that you don't want to teach them that the reward is for stopping the tension. In other words, don't let your dog hit the end of the leash every time, then come back and get a treat. Click and treat before they hit the end. At first, that meant treating every couple of seconds.

Like I said, she caught on very fast. I took her for a fairly long leash walk tonight, and after the first couple of clicks, she really only hit the end when she was tracking some smell or she saw dogs. With the dogs, I was able to get her back to me verbally and treat as I walked by. With the smells, I would verbally get her attention, and then tell her "okay" and follow her so she could sniff.

I just wish I had taken the time to do this months ago! Good luck with your pup

Old 08-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Top Dog

Not sure if I'll get in trouble or not....but I use a Prong collar. It's a godsend, I can take Boone everywhere with me now and not worry about him pulling, jumping up on little kids, or just generally getting himself into trouble.
Of course we do practice his healing without the prong, and off lead totally.
But it has solved the problem of pulling, and now our walks are very enjoyable.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:30 AM
No Sugar Added

I'd also suggest a prong. You can even get a Mini prong for small dogs and they work quite well. They key is fitting it correctly, it must be snug up behind the ears, but not tooooo tight. Too loose and it won't work, too tight and that's not good either.

Personally I think it's the easiest way to stop a dog from pulling on the leash and in the end many dogs only get one or two quick self-corrections before they learn the ropes, leaving plenty of room for praise and rewards for good behavior.