Collies-two questions

I've been researching collies.
I've heard that the smooth shed more than the rough coated. If anyone owns collies--how many times a week do you brush your rough coat? Is 1-2 times sufficient?
I know one collie who has some anxiety problems and barks a lot. Her bark is so piercing--is that how all collies barks sound? And does your collie like the sound if his/her voice? I like quiet dogs, but appreciate a watchdog, but not crazy barking. Are they trainable to be on the quieter side, or is barking just a part of the breed that has to be accepted?

Thanks!

colliepop

Both rough and smooth collies have dual coats & AFAIK smooths do shed more because it can just come out & doesn't get caught up in the other fur, but roughs require a lot more grooming. Collies' instict is to watch the herd & to know what is going on at all times. They can be a good watch dog in that regard, because they'll know about any little change in and outside of the house. They also like to keep tabs on the people inside the house so they can tend to pace back & forth from one room to another. Their barks, from what I've read, are higher pitched so they could cut through the fog & travel a greater distance. I don't know if that's true, but it stands to reason... Like a lot of things, training depends on you and the dog. It's only natural for them...

I used to have to brush my bearded collie (not the same as a rough, but with the same double coat) at least 2x a week or there would be enormous mats. And the single worst feature of all the rough and bearded collies (though not the borders, curiously) I've ever met has been that sharp, piercing bark. They are barkers, and although in theory all dogs are trainable in all commands, I have my doubts about being able to entirely quell that instinct.
You could train a collie to stop barking when ordered, but I think the timbre of the bark is something you have to accept, because collies just aren't going to be quiet. They hear something, they let you know. And apart from barking, they're pretty vocal in other ways too - they whimper, murmur, grumble and generally 'talk' to their people about how their day went, how happy they are to see them, how unfair it is that someone told them to quit barking, etc.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
The sound of the bark varies. Most of my dogs have a nice deep bark (even the girls), but I've heard some of those "make your ears bleed" barks on some other dogs. Pretty painful! Also, a nervous bark is going to sound different than an alert bark - that may be why it sounded so bad. You said the dog was nervous. Kenneled collies tend to get that high pitched bark too, which is why so many breeders with large quantities of dogs debark. I have 4 and live in the suburbs. They are quiet and calm in the house, but do bark to communicate. As I like to tell people who inquire - they bark when they're happy. They bark when they're playing. They bark to get your attention. They bark to alert you. They bark when working stock/doing agility, etc. But it can be controlled. Lots of training and activities will prevent it from being annoying. They are successfully being used as guide dogs, who cannot bark under any circumstances while working, so it just depends on the dog and the situation. ;)

Regarding the shedding, I've had roughs and smooths all of my life and would say they shed the same, although I agree with Colliepop that it may appear that the smooths shed more because you may see it off the dog more. But smooth hair just brushes off your clothes and furniture with the palm of your hand, while rough hair weaves into your clothes and apholstery!

My last rough died 15 yrs ago, and I've only had smooths since then, but when I did have roughs I brushed them once a week. Honestly, I only brush my smooths to stimulate their skin - they don't require it to control matting or anything like that. I try to brush them weekly, but honestly it ends up being every few weeks. :(

colliewog said:
The sound of the bark varies. Most of my dogs have a nice deep bark (even the girls), but I've heard some of those "make your ears bleed" barks on some other dogs. Pretty painful! (
My sheltie has this very annoying high pitched, make my ears bleed bark! And he barks at cars at people at his toys, and he just habitually barks non stop and at a certain interval while playing ball with him. But I love him! hehe

I am just responding with what I do sine I have a Sheltie, which is like a Rough coated collie. Are there smooth coated Shelties?

Anyways, he is rarely groomed. He also rarely mattes except for behind his ears which I clip out those knots. He gets groomed maybe 4 times a year or so. And once a year is coat is clipped kind of short underneath and between his legs.

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
AnimalLoverCatRescuer said:
My sheltie has this very annoying high pitched, make my ears bleed bark! And he barks at cars at people at his toys, and he just habitually barks non stop and at a certain interval while playing ball with him. But I love him! hehe

I am just responding with what I do sine I have a Sheltie, which is like a Rough coated collie. Are there smooth coated Shelties?

Anyways, he is rarely groomed. He also rarely mattes except for behind his ears which I clip out those knots. He gets groomed maybe 4 times a year or so. And once a year is coat is clipped kind of short underneath and between his legs.
I think ALL shelties have that high pitched bark. That's the only complaint I have with the breed :p There is no such thing as a smooth coated sheltie, although I've found that the females generally have less hair. :)

LizzieCollie

Collie Crazy
Shannerson said:
I've been researching collies.
I've heard that the smooth shed more than the rough coated. If anyone owns collies--how many times a week do you brush your rough coat? Is 1-2 times sufficient?
I know one collie who has some anxiety problems and barks a lot. Her bark is so piercing--is that how all collies barks sound? And does your collie like the sound if his/her voice? I like quiet dogs, but appreciate a watchdog, but not crazy barking. Are they trainable to be on the quieter side, or is barking just a part of the breed that has to be accepted?

Thanks!
Like everyone else has said, smooths throw out more coat because they have nowhere to 'store' it. I brush my Rough about 5 times a week (she loves it) and everytime I brush there is lots of hair that comes out underneath. But 1-2 times is sufiicent for a Rough, you just need to make sure they are very good brushing or they can mat.

My Lizzie barks and barks and barks all day, but she is outside and by herself while im at work, so its unerstandable and yes, she does have that high pitched bark but shes still a puppy so we'll see.

Lizzie is a doll, but like all Collies she needs to be kept entertained, they are a herding breed and are very smart.

Kota doesn't bark which is abnormal for a collie. Once in a great while she might and then it's that high pitched collie bark.

I'd recommend more grooming than 1-2 times a week. Even then you may find behind the ears are starting to mat. Kota loves to be groomed and will sit there all day for me if I'd keep going! lol.

As for protection Kota will "pace" from room to room checking on us. And she knows when someone or something is outside. But if someone broke in I think she'd lick em to death before she's protect us! lol

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
How funny... my sister's sheltie Kota has a nice deep big dog bark. Anybody who doesn't know it's a little sheltie barking in there is freaked out - he sounds like he's HUGE!

Happy and Auggie both have "tough guy" barks that are a little lower pitched, but they're definitely not the same as Kota's big dog bark. I wonder why it's only Ko...

Beanie said:
How funny... my sister's sheltie Kota has a nice deep big dog bark. Anybody who doesn't know it's a little sheltie barking in there is freaked out - he sounds like he's HUGE!

Happy and Auggie both have "tough guy" barks that are a little lower pitched, but they're definitely not the same as Kota's big dog bark. I wonder why it's only Ko...

I've never met anyone else who named their dog Kota. :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
SalemWitchChild said:
I've never met anyone else who named their dog Kota. :p

Haha, I guess you still haven't... we didn't name him. ;> He came from sheltie rescue with that name (actually, it's "Dakota" - but that takes too long to say!)

Beanie said:
Haha, I guess you still haven't... we didn't name him. ;> He came from sheltie rescue with that name (actually, it's "Dakota" - but that takes too long to say!)

lol. Hubby named Kota "LaKota". But I shortened it to Kota because I wasn't happy with LaKota. :p So her registered name is Kota Blue Storm. :)

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
My family debarked a few when I was a kid due to neighbor issues. It was about $75, but that was in the late 70s-early 80s. I have no idea what it would cost these days. But basically, the cost is probably more for anesthesia than the actual debarking - it's a very quick procedure.

If done, it would HAVE to be done by a vet that is experienced (ie, one who works with show breeders and does it frequently). It requires special "technique" and there is much more chance for complications if the vet just feels like trying to do it because they saw the procedure once in vet school. (You'd be surprised how often this happens. :( ).

Here's a pretty informative Q & A written by a Sheltie breeder. http://www.naiatrust.org/Debark_Q_and_A.htm

I do not debark any of my dogs. The last dog that was debarked was when I was a teen, lived at home and my evil stepfather said it was debark or get rid of the dog. (The man had issues). Of course, I chose debarking so I could keep my dog. But a few years later, I moved out and wished he had his full voice. I like the sound of my Collies' barks - it makes me happy. :p

Members online

No members online now.