Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubylove
You still refer to the dog as `it'. Do you actually have any feelings for this dog other than frustration?
not much anymore, its causing me more headf**k than anything since i have had it and its only getting worse.
i dont think anyone else would want this bloody dog either. we are its third owners and we have had it 12 months. so the last 2 owners have put up with it for 4 months each. seeing a picture here?? this dog is useless, unwanted and annoying.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 AM
Top Dog

Our neighbours has this problem, and they used this one.

http://www.efence1.com/Dogtrabarkcollars.htm

2 weeks later, the dog has kicked the habbit.

You really have 3 choices,

1. use of bark collar.
2. Find another home for the dog.
3. Train it yourself. Go out, leave the dog at home for 5 minutes, go back inside, give it some lovin, then go out for 10 minutes etc..

That way you dog will know you're returning home each time, and slowly increase the time away.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

http://www.animalbehaviorassociates.com/pdf/RMN_why_dogs_bark.pdf#search='why%20dogs%20bark'
Old 08-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzzzza
not much anymore, its causing me more headf**k than anything since i have had it and its only getting worse.
i dont think anyone else would want this bloody dog either. we are its third owners and we have had it 12 months. so the last 2 owners have put up with it for 4 months each. seeing a picture here?? this dog is useless, unwanted and annoying.
Right, well. It sounds as though you don't have the correct temperament to look after a dog that does not meet your standards. Perhaps the dog is difficult because nobody has taken the time to train it properly; in my experience the dog is rarely (if ever) the problem, it is the people who own the dog that are the problem. That is why my username has `training the trainer' written underneath it. I train people to train dogs, not train dogs to behave the way people expect them to with no help at all.

Yes, there are some dogs in the world who are difficult, who have had difficult lives, with very little attention, and who have behavioural problems that people can't be bothered looking into to help the poor creatures. These are the dogs that are labled `useless, unwanted and annoying'.

What I suggest is that you avoid going on to sites that are devoted to animal welfare, and the welfare of dogs, and making yourself out to be the person that you have come across as so far. It sounds to me as though you are the one that needs to change what you are doing, not your dog, because its what you are doing (or not doing) that is reinforcing this behaviour in your dog.

I cannot imagine how you must treat the poor thing but reading between the lines is enough. For the dog's sake and certainly for no other reason, please find it a home where it will be loved and tolerated, with people who will try to help it. Because its getting nothing where it is now, and that's what we are concerned with on this site - helping dogs and helping people who want to help their dogs, not those who don't even try to understand them and instead are abusive, aggressive and not at all concerned with the welfare of their pet.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Why can't you seperate the dogs and give a kong while your gone? A simple crate or babygate can seperate easily...

How about a nice long walk before you leave so she can relax when you get home? It sounds like she's had a hard live thus far, I hope you can find it in your hard to help her instead of causing further damage.
The electric shock collars and citronella collars are not useless; because if they were I wouldn't care if people used them

And just for furture reference if you come to a dog lovers forum and talk about shooting your dog (smilies or j/k's would be nice if your joking) your going to come off as a troll . . . . .

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-21-2006, 12:18 AM
Active Pup

ok i will try some thing you all have listed above. but hey, one dog is perfect, one dog is a nuisence. cant all be me.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:24 AM
Training the Trainer

No of course not. But the dog that is a nuisance is so because of its unhappy life, obviously since the moment it first went to a home - not because its just a bad dog. Often the dogs that have problems are the ones we love all the more when they're `all better' because they have been so much work.

But your dog is unhappy for one reason or another, and as you are its carer, it is your responsibility to find out what is making it unhappy and fix it!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

A dog is a dog is a dog. Your dog is being a dog. Dogs bark when they're bored, stressed, lonely. Barking is a passtime, a self rewarding behavior. Dogs like to bark. So, you're blaming the dog, saying that he's a bad dog, a bloody dog. A dog is an animal not a human. Why do you presume that he should be like a human? Humans don't bark, don't like the sound and so the dog shouldn't bark. (?) You're projecting your values onto the dog as if the dog is doing something wrong. He's not. He's doing what he knows best....how to be a dog. He's doing what he has been reinforced for. Barking in and of itself is rewarding to him. You, the owner, the human, have given him NO reason NOT to bark.

For dogs to behave the way we want them to, they MUST BE TRAINED and trained properly. If your dog's behavior is not what you like, it's YOUR responsibility and not the poor dog's.

As long as he is self rewarding by given freedom to bark, it will continue. That is science. Rewarded behavior repeats itself. Non-rewarded behavior extinguishes. Harsh punishment, bullying, intimidation and force do nothing but ruin a dog. And then one wonders why the dog is not well mannered or well trained. (????)

You will have to keep the dog in the house in a crate or safe room. Put him by himself away from the other dog and give him a Kong with something frozen in it to play with and lick. Exercise him hard before you leave. Play fetch or something else where he gets some serious cardiovascular exercise.

You will have to supervise him whenever you ARE around and distract him from barking, teach him a command which is associated with the stopping of the barking, such as "enough." AND REWARD him lavishly with a very good treat when he stops.

He will need more than a walk. He needs to run and have something to exercise his body and mind. Do more obedience work with him. Set up some make shift equipment in your yard so he can do some agility or something; a few jumps to teach him, make some weave poles. Get involved with him or re-home him. This dog is board out of his gord.

And don't think he doesn't know or sense how you don't like him. Dogs are experts at reading their owners. Without any bond with this dog, without any care about his life, he is pulling further away from you and has NO reason to work WITH you. If you can't make it worth his while to work with you and learn behaviors you want, then re-home the dog to someone who can and will be his best friend.

Dogs are a precious gift to us, a rare bond we have, the likes of which we share with no other animal. They give soooo much and ask for so little in return. We expect so much from them and then don't teach them and then blame [B]themB] for being what they are. How dare the human race ask, ask, ask for more and more and but don't want to give what the dog needs? If you don't have what it takes to love and train this dog, re-home him. There are plenty of people who do love dogs enough and do have the know how to work through dog behaviors which they, the humans don't like. Dog behaviors are so often described as behavior problems, as though the dog is defective. The dog is being a dog and the behaviors are normal for a dog. It is we who have the behavior problem. We're suppose to be the more intelligent specie.

This may be blunt, but when I read about someone willing to shoot their dog, saying hateful things about a dog, I get that protection instinct up and going....like a mother bear.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzzzza
My opinion...The dog is smart and possibly a little stubborn although he is stil awful young. The dog much like a child is pushing buttons.
If you are really that fed up...please find a suitable home or get one of these.
Its no worse than re-homing and re-homing and eventual shelter
http://shop.tritronics.com/barklimiterxs.html
Yeah its not a popular way to go on this site but for you probably the best thing you could invest in. Doberluv has some good advise and I doubt you will do any of what she suggests. Honestly I would try to find a better home for the dog.
Seems you have your mind made up.
A good home is one that is familiar with your dogs breed/s and has experience with that breed/s. One that has a fenced yard, a vet, time to spend with the dog.
Good luck

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
A dog is a dog is a dog. Your dog is being a dog. Dogs bark when they're bored, stressed, lonely. Barking is a passtime, a self rewarding behavior. Dogs like to bark. So, you're blaming the dog, saying that he's a bad dog, a bloody dog. A dog is an animal not a human. Why do you presume that he should be like a human? Humans don't bark, don't like the sound and so the dog shouldn't bark. (?) You're projecting your values onto the dog as if the dog is doing something wrong. He's not. He's doing what he knows best....how to be a dog. He's doing what he has been reinforced for. Barking in and of itself is rewarding to him. You, the owner, the human, have given him NO reason NOT to bark.

For dogs to behave the way we want them to, they MUST BE TRAINED and trained properly. If your dog's behavior is not what you like, it's YOUR responsibility and not the poor dog's.

As long as he is self rewarding by given freedom to bark, it will continue. That is science. Rewarded behavior repeats itself. Non-rewarded behavior extinguishes. Harsh punishment, bullying, intimidation and force do nothing but ruin a dog. And then one wonders why the dog is not well mannered or well trained. (????)

You will have to keep the dog in the house in a crate or safe room. Put him by himself away from the other dog and give him a Kong with something frozen in it to play with and lick. Exercise him hard before you leave. Play fetch or something else where he gets some serious cardiovascular exercise.

You will have to supervise him whenever you ARE around and distract him from barking, teach him a command which is associated with the stopping of the barking, such as "enough." AND REWARD him lavishly with a very good treat when he stops.

He will need more than a walk. He needs to run and have something to exercise his body and mind. Do more obedience work with him. Set up some make shift equipment in your yard so he can do some agility or something; a few jumps to teach him, make some weave poles. Get involved with him or re-home him. This dog is board out of his gord.

And don't think he doesn't know or sense how you don't like him. Dogs are experts at reading their owners. Without any bond with this dog, without any care about his life, he is pulling further away from you and has NO reason to work WITH you. If you can't make it worth his while to work with you and learn behaviors you want, then re-home the dog to someone who can and will be his best friend.

Dogs are a precious gift to us, a rare bond we have, the likes of which we share with no other animal. They give soooo much and ask for so little in return. We expect so much from them and then don't teach them and then blame them for being what they are. How dare the human race ask, ask, ask for more and more and but don't want to give what the dog needs? If you don't have what it takes to love and train this dog, re-home him. There are plenty of people who do love dogs enough and do have the know how to work through dog behaviors which they, the humans don't like. Dog behaviors are so often described as behavior problems, as though the dog is defective. The dog is being a dog and the behaviors are normal for a dog. It is we who have the behavior problem. We're suppose to be the more intelligent specie.

This may be blunt, but when I read about someone willing to shoot their dog, saying hateful things about a dog, I get that protection instinct up and going....like a mother bear.
And a big fat YEAH to all of that.