Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Active Pup

Default dog will not stop barking while we are out

wee have 2 dogs, 20 month old keeshond and a 18 month old westy.

while we are home now, the dogs are as quiet as a mouse, rarely barking at anything unless someone comes into the yard.

as soon as we both leave the house and no one is home the dog(keeshond) barks continuously. i have video tapes the dog on many many occasions now, studied the tapes in details and on average the dog barks a whopping 4000 time per hour, YES 4000 times per hour. IM ALMOST READY TO SHOOT THE THING. im considering giving my neighbours a gun so they can do it for me.

the dog barks at nothing. it just runs around the back yard barking at thin air. not a single thing can be seen on the tape as to why the thing is barking. the second dog, the westy is just sitting down near his kennel sleeping while all this is happening being an angel cause there is nothing to bark at.

i cannot work out why the keeshond continuously barks while the westy is quiet when we go out.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

In my opinion....If you cant crate them inside while you are gone which would be my first choice
A good bark collar does wonders. Not a popular solution but a very effective way for your dogs to learn not to bark while you are gone.
This is one I would get. Do not try to go cheap on the bark collars. You wont be happy with the results.
http://shop.tritronics.com/barklimiterxs.html

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Active Pup

everyone ive talked to says these electric shock collars and citronella collars are useless.
i dont really want to use them either, they will chew it off of each other.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzzzza
IM ALMOST READY TO SHOOT THE THING. im considering giving my neighbours a gun so they can do it for me.
I hope you are joking

Quote:
i cannot work out why the keeshond continuously barks while the westy is quiet when we go out.
Its quite breed-specific. Have you done much research on the breed? How much do they have to do during the day? How long are you gone for? How much exercise do they get? How old are they? Are they spayed/neutered? How much training to they get and what is their basic obedience like?

Sorry for all the questions but it helps get a picture...

Here is something you may be interested in...

Keeshond: An excellent children's companion, lively, intelligent, and very alert. A real character that is quick to learn if their owners are consistent. They should be trained gently and patiently without a lot of jerking. Keeshond are full of personality. When they get excited about something, it is a common trait for them to spin in happy circles. They can be trained to perform. Affectionate, friendly, and generally outgoing. The Keeshond loves everyone and needs to be part of the family activities. They are generally good with other pets, although some individuals are reserved or timid, and should be socialized extensively as puppies. For years the Keeshond was the dog-of-all-jobs on Dutch boats. Today it is used as a companion dog. They like to bark and are good watchdogs because of its notable gift for warning of danger. Beware of overfeeding, for the Keeshond will gain weight easily.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Active Pup

they have a large yard full of things to play with like toy bones, dog toys, each other.
we are gone for anywhere between 10 minutes to a few hours each day, one of us are home just about all the other time. they get walked for between 30-60 minutes about 5-7 days a week.
Quote:
wee have 2 dogs, 20 month old keeshond and a 18 month old westy.
they get a bit of training, they can sit, walk nicely on a lead and know not to go out the gate if its open and not to go inside unless invited and not to jump on people unless invited.
and yeah the keeshond likes to spin in happy circles when its happy, when it can hear the leads come out ready for walking or when its dinner time, spin spin spin, its a wonder the thing doesnt get dizzy and fall over.
and yeah its timid, scared of everyone that comes near it, wont allow strangers within 3 metres of itself. i think it was abused before we got it as well, if i raise my hand to throw a ball it cringes and runs away in fear.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Water Junkie

While you are gone try a Kong. You can stuff it with anything that your dog LOVES and that will keep him busy while you are gone then he should be so tired from licking so much he should go ot sleep. Try walking him before you go so he is REALLY tired and will sleep! Good Luck!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Active Pup

problem i have with that is that the westy is very very selfish. if you give them both anything like that, the westy will just drop his and go straight for the other one even though they are both identical and then they will start ripping each other apart and both will be barking and growling full on. these dogs need supervision where any food of any type is given to them else all hell breaks loose.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
and yeah its timid, scared of everyone that comes near it, wont allow strangers within 3 metres of itself. i think it was abused before we got it as well, if i raise my hand to throw a ball it cringes and runs away in fear.
Ohhhh poor baby. It sounds like you are doing everything right and she still has problems. I would invest some money in a professional behaviourist. I know that it can be pricey, but an expense that is well worth it to help your dog with this problem. I notice you refer to the dog as `it'. Is that because you are just at the end of your tether? Or don't you realise you're doing it? Male or female, if (s)he is not desexed that may help. But the poor doggie is obviously having some issues and instead of solutions like toys etc, which you've tried and aren't working, please invest some time and money into finding out what the problem is - it will save you in the long run, it really will. Particularly if you have all those videos etc. A behaviourist would probably only need one or two sessions with you and your dog to explain what is needed. We can do our best, but there's only so much you can do on an internet forum.

One of my best friends has a Keeshond who surfs! Seriously. Take her down the beach and into the water, put her on a board and she surfs back into shore - in fact, you don't have to put her on the board, she'll go nuts if she CAN'T get on it!! Being original water dogs, though, its not a surprise!! Here she is with my friend's daughter last summer...

Sophie the Surfing Dog!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Active Pup

well we have had people from here http://www.barkbusters.com.au come around and they have fixed most things except barking.
im just now looking for more things to put between where i am now and the last item on my list of thing to try to prevent me getting to the last thing on my list which is shooting it and i can tell you right now im nearly to the end.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
well we have had people from here http://www.barkbusters.com.au come around and they have fixed most things except barking.
im just now looking for more things to put between where i am now and the last item on my list of thing to try to prevent me getting to the last thing on my list which is shooting it and i can tell you right now im nearly to the end.
Ok, again, I realise that you are extremely frustrated, however I do hope you are joking. If you are going to harm your dog, rehome it. You still refer to the dog as `it'. Do you actually have any feelings for this dog other than frustration?