Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit
I bike once in a while sometimes even venturing to bike-jor but if it''s cold enough that I can do that then it''s cold enough for me to scooter with the boys and I would much rather do that. It''s safer, works more muscles, and is training for winter.
Do you mean on an actual little scooter, the one with two wheels? I would so fall on my butt!

I'm gonna be at a loss when the snow comes. I was thinking of taking up skijoring or getting him a pull harness and letting him drag the kids along on their sleds.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:35 PM
whatszmatter

I just use an old fashioned leash and away we go a few times a week. I wish I had more areas that weren't paved to go, but we go where we can.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

I'm glad you posted this! I've been meaning to ask about the bike attachments for a while. I live in a large, quiet neighborhood that I think would be ideal. Most days Meg gets plenty of exercise being out and about with me, but I was thinking of biking for the days when I don't hike.

I realize you guys have already answered some of these questions, but reassure me, please!

-Meg isn't that big (35 lbs or so) and isn't a huge puller; the attachment will absorb any pulling so it doens't drag me over, right? And it keeps them from running in front of the wheels?

-Is it best to use a harness as opposed to a collar?

-Any brand suggestions?

Old 08-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

The Springer attachment is probably the best bet for absorbing the pulling. Like I said, I have an 84 lb German Shepherd and he can't pull me over with my attachment. The spring has a curve to it that holds the dog out and away from the actual bike and has safety clips that will "break away" if your dog goes around the wrong side of a pole or something.

I would really suggest a harness, much better for the dog. I do use a leash to his collar as well just incase something went wrong with the attachment.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Dog Show Addict

Riot LOVES doing this with me through the conservation area!

He knows his "left and rights" so I let him "lead" through the paths and just shout out directions to him..

He hauls me up the hills lmao
The sad thing is - after hes had about 30min nap hes good to go again hyper as ever lol Silly herding dogs
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 08-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Training the Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot
The sad thing is - after hes had about 30min nap hes good to go again hyper as ever lol Silly herding dogs
ROFL that is a classic!

I really want to do this with my dogs. I have looked a lot into it and come across three types - BikerDog, WalkyDog and Springer.

Does anyone have any opinions about which are the best of these three? They all look pretty good. Of course, I will be using two at once - one on either side of the bike, and so far BikerDog have contacted me and said that this is perfectly fine.

So, which ones do you guys recommend? (For those who have used them)

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 08-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne
Do you mean on an actual little scooter, the one with two wheels? I would so fall on my butt!

I'm gonna be at a loss when the snow comes. I was thinking of taking up skijoring or getting him a pull harness and letting him drag the kids along on their sleds.
Yup! That''s exactly what I mean except now I use both boys instead of just one.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit
Yup! That''s exactly what I mean except now I use both boys instead of just one.

Really cute looking dog !!!