Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

It seems fishy that, even though the breeding was accidental, they still allowed the dog to give birth and went on the sell the pups..

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Puppy Dog

I retract my previous statement. Although all complaints i have found were over 4 years old...im very scared to buy from them now. There are lots of horror stories out there if you really dig deep...
Old 08-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Post some links please. I'd like to read them too.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Those are basically a rehash of the same 2 stories, plus the one about the biting doberman. Don't discount the people who have had good experiences with the kennel as well.

I looked on the better business bureau, they have had 2 complaints in the last 3 years.

I'm not defending them in any way, just trying to have an open mind about it.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
Those are basically a rehash of the same 2 stories, plus the one about the biting doberman. Don't discount the people who have had good experiences with the kennel as well.

I looked on the better business bureau, they have had 2 complaints in the last 3 years.

I'm not defending them in any way, just trying to have an open mind about it.

I will post more info on them later when I have time.

But, even if there were no horror stories, the sheer magnitude of their breeding operation alone would turn me off. Dogs should be bred to better the breed, not to make a living off of.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Puppy Dog

Well honestly the price they charge is a big turn off for me. Its not worth my hard earned 1500-3000 dollars for a place that has had problems in the past. Im going to keep digging and see what i can turn up, but im prolly going to look elseware now..It dissapoints me greatly as they were very close to home..(5 hours)
Old 08-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
Its not worth my hard earned 1500-3000 dollars for a place that has had problems in the past. Im going to keep digging and see what i can turn up, but im prolly going to look elseware now..
Good choice- sure it sucks that they would've been so close, but all in all it sounds like you're on the right track. As your number one concern is health, you can do a LOT better than these people.

I'm not a fan of Kimbertal either, due to the sheer magnitude of litters they pump out each year. With so many dogs, how can you *really* know where your breeding program is going?

As far as buying a dog straight off the internet- I have mixed feelings. As someone else pointed out- it's all to easy for any one to make a fantastic looking website. While the internet is a wonderful tool, it's also allowed kennels that are nothing but glorified puppymills to fashion websites that mimic those of some of the best in the country.

For this reason alone, I would *really* want to meet a prospective breeder.

And most great breeders will want to meet *you* as well.

If you get the feeling that someone is willing to sell you a puppy without knowing a thing about you- you DON'T want one from them. Getting a dog from a great breeder is akin to adopting a child- there should be a lengthy interview process, and they should be asking you as many questions as you are asking them. If they're willing to sell to anyone with cash, it's clear they don't care about the puppy- they care about the money. You can bet then, that they've skimped on outstanding nutrition, genetic testing of the sire and dam, evaluation of the animals by impartial parties (ie: schutzhund, conformation, obedience, agility...), etc. Anything to save a buck, and make a profit.

If I couldn't meet a prosprective breeder in person, I'd want several references from people who had bought puppies from them. I'd also like to know what other breeders think of them. A good resource for you would be the Rottweiler's National breed club website. (The breeder referral is *really* a good place to start).

The breeder would certainly want references from you as well.

You're positive there are no dog shows in your area? People in NY show dogs too...even the ones way out in the boonies . Please look at www.infodog.com or go to the akc website (www.americankennelclub.org). Search the "Events and Awards" section. They'll have a space where you can look for dog shows (conformation) according to date, and state. That should help you out.

Sure, it might be a ways drive- but it will be WELL worth it to meet quality breeders (in person). And a long distance drive says to them that you're serious about obtaining a quality puppy.

Fact of the matter is a lot of the best breeders are too busy to own or maintain websites, nor do they need them. So you've got to find them by word of mouth, by meeting them in person, or by searching through their National breed club and making some calls.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Mordy where do you see they "sell hundreds of puppies a year" ? I looked around and didn't see that anywhere.
I've read it in an interview where the owner was confronted with the complaints of many people who purchased dogs from him that ended up with unsound temperaments or died due to poor health before even 3 years old.

Quote:
To me that breeder had a lot of good traits that people around here are always saying is a requirement- titles, decent guarantees, temprament testing (argue as you may, but IPO titling has temprament testing as part of it).
Have you noticed in the pedigrees that it's generally not the Kimbertal dogs that have titles? I also don't think that their guarantees are "decent", as they basically involve returning the dog and getting a replacement. How many people you know will turn in a dog with issues and accept a replacement? It doesn't hurt the kennel operator, since he's churning out puppies by the dozen all year long and has little motivation to change his breeding program to avoid producing unsound dogs.

Quote:
No one can guarantee that every dog will have a good temprament. At least these guys will take it back from you and give you another pup. How do we know that they then pawn off that dog on someone unsuspecting? Maybe they put them down. Maybe they foster them out to people who can deal with the temprament issues. Yes, they are running a business. But look at the testimonials from people who have been very happy with their dogs.
I don't think all that really says much. If you sell enough volume, you are apt to get many positive replies. Look at the fan mail that puppymills like Wizard of Claws get, it reads much the same.

Quote:
Maybe there are some perfect breeders out there, but if they are thousands of miles away and their pups are way beyond the budget of normal people, whats the point. If a breeder is THAT good, they aren't going to let just anyone off the street like one of us have a pup anyway.
Funny enough, all the really good breeders I know sell their pups for under $1,000, even show quality. Yes, they do screen homes thoroughly, but can you blame them?
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

One more thing-

Here's a link to a list of regional Rottweiler clubs. Someone already suggested getting involved in your local Rottie club, which I think is a great idea. You'll be sure to meet some fantastic breeders this way, and in turn, they'll really get to know you. This would be a fabulous way to search for your future pup's breeder.

Just pick which ever is closest to you:
http://www.amrottclub.org/localclubs.htm

Hope this is helpful.