Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

and if all he wants is a healthy dog and cant afford one from a responsible breeder,

why dont u just go to a shelter, theres plenty of cheap, healthy rotts there

Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
and if all he wants is a healthy dog and cant afford one from a responsible breeder,

why dont u just go to a shelter, theres plenty of cheap, healthy rotts there
I can afford one from a responsibile breeder. Thats not the point.

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah why do you keep saying AKC bullshit

First off-

Chill out with the swearing. It doesn't make your point easier to understand (in fact, I'm pretty sure it was your use of expletives that confused me in the first place), nor does it make you sound any more intelligent. This is really not something to freak out about- just trying to help.

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about. Where did i get upset about AKC and SHOW

I believe I may have gotten this impression along the lines of you saying "AKC B.S." for the 2nd time, along with something to the effect of "I don't give a **** about show dogs."

And are you serious? You can't find a reputable breeder that offers pet-quality puppies?
I have NO clue where you're looking, but any place that attempts to tell you ALL of their dogs are show quality is pulling your leg. Now people may not necessarily advertise them explicitly, but they're there. Try looking at breeder referral on the Rottweiler Club of America's website.

Or go to a dog show in your area (I'm sure you REALLY wanted to hear that) but this is where the GOOD breeders are hanging out. Most people would only be too happy to talk to you about a pet quality puppy (Provided you don't swear at them, or tell them what they're doing is B.S. ). When I bought my PET puppy (NOT a show dog), this is where I found my breeder. Even though I WASN'T interested in showing.

I'm assuming you've got to have a dog show or two *somewhere* in your vicinity. Many great breeders don't advertise- they simply don't need to. It's all about word of mouth.

Quote:
paying extra for a dog that i dont care about showing, bothers me.

You do realize the same amount of time, love, socialization, food, medical care, etc. go into EACH puppy in a litter? Regardless of whether or not it's show quality. For this reason, many breeders who show their dogs have no price difference between show prospects and pet puppies.
First off buddy, this is the internet. How do you know im freaking out? You cant see me or hear the one of my voice. It just gets frustrating trying to explain the same thing over again. Once again, you said

Quote:
Or go to a dog show in your area (I'm sure you REALLY wanted to hear that) but this is where the GOOD breeders are hanging out.
Like i have a problem with shows or something and thats not it at all.
1. We really dont have shows in our area. Welcome to Western NY. We have cattle shows not dog shows.

2. I can find plenty of breeders, however, half of them are family's selling puppies from the parents they own in there back yard or worse. NY doesnt have alot of Rottie Breeders. As i said, If you would READ, I did find a breeder that seemed to have all his **** together. X rays, AKC BULLSHIT, some certs and a garantee. But hes from far away, and i wondered what you all thought about getting a puppy based on pictures and the kennels website.

Also, the reason i say AKC Bullshit, is not because im saying that the AKC is worthless, i just mean like all that stuff that goes along with it. Its not a negative thing.

As for your last quote, that may be true sometimes, but not all the time. I see way to many breeders who charge and arm and a leg for a pup simply because its parents have won so many awards and all that.

Some of you are just taking it all the wrong way.

1. I dont want a huge dog. I mean i wouldnt mind having it, but its not what im looking for.
2. HOW DOES EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT BUYING PUPPIES FROM BREEDERS ONLINE. Sence that still hasnt really been answered.
3. I want a healthy dog(so yes something that has had all the tests done and all that jazz).
4.I like show dogs, i have nothing against them, I just simply do not care if its parents were show dogs as i wont be showing. However, If the only people who take care of there dogs, are show breeders than so be it.
Its simple enough to say that.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

Default Rottie pups

The local no-kill shelter I volunteer at has 2 rottie pups for adoption who are around $150 each---however I'm not sure if they are still available (they were last weekend) and I am in Indiana...

There definitely are places you can get a rottie or rottie mix at a low price and you can be saving a life! I just looked on petfinder.com and found many rotties/rottie mixes in NY area for adoption.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatethekeeper

2. HOW DOES EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT BUYING PUPPIES FROM BREEDERS ONLINE. Sence that still hasnt really been answered.
3. I want a healthy dog(so yes something that has had all the tests done and all that jazz).
4.I like show dogs, i have nothing against them, I just simply do not care if its parents were show dogs as i wont be showing. However, If the only people who take care of there dogs, are show breeders than so be it.
Its simple enough to say that.

2 - My issue with getting puppies from breeders online is that you have to be really sure that you can trust them. It goes both ways though, good breeders will probably not accept to ship puppies... Good breeders want to make sure the pups go to good homes. Any breeder that won't ask for a lot of references in these circumstances don't care about their dogs, and unfortunately it means they probably didn't care about socializing them enough too. But if you're totally sure that they are good breeders, you might want to ask them anyway.

4 - show quality breeders vs pet quality breeders always causes huge debates Be wary of breeders that breed for show and claim not to have any pet quality puppies anyway, it means they are willing to show any puppy, no matter if they would actually do well or not. Good breeders will have pet quality puppies that they will sell for cheaper than their show quality - that's what you need to look for. They will often be more reasonable than breeders who breed to make money (which is really what pet quality breeding is).

Other than that, I disagree wityh DanL... I would never advise anyone to get a puppy from a place that breeds so much pups they don't have enough time to properly socialize them. About the guarantee, I guess I just fail to see the point of asking for the pup to be returned if you want your money back if the dog develops HD... because really, few owners would do that. Heck even the puppy mill I got Boris from will pay you back the price of the dog if the dogs develop HD... and they won't ask for the dogs back.

Last point, there are a lot of rotties in rescues indeed. You might want to check there, but do it knowingly, as those dogs will probably not be from the best breeders temperament and testing-wise. Doesn't mean they are not great dogs though.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Puppy Dog

Fran-Thanks alot, Great Info.

Girlbuffalo1- I am not looking to adopt. How does that solve any of the problems i am having with finding a breeder? I rescued my Bulldog mix that i have now, and let me tell you, he was a handful. I plan on rescuing again, but i want the rottie to be Purebred and from a breeder who knows what they are doing. And once again, its not about the price.

Can you guys let me knkow what you think about these breeders?

http://www.rosebaker.com

http://www.cornucopia-rottweilers.com
Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

They look ok, but hard to tell as they are not putting their contract online.

They send you to another breeder also, http://www.v1rottweiler.com/puppies1.htm . They look pretty good also...

My issues with both is that there is no mention of CERF testing, nor temperament testing, but they say they breed for temperament, so I guess that's something (frankly I don't know how they can test temperament anyway).

Anyway, I would contact Redyre and ask her, she will be able to help you I'm sure.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 AM
I Love My Belgian

The first breeder looks good, the second one doesn't have enough information to tell really.

Keep in mind that the first breeder is a working breeder. Strictly working rottie lines tend to be alot different than lines for show or both working/show. These dogs are high drive, powerful, and have a much larger tendency to be aggressive, destructive, etc. They typically need more exercise and stimulation and alot more training. These are working dogs -- if they don't have a job, they will find one, and it won't be something good. Not saying working lines are bad at all, they just require alot more than the typical "family pet" and you have to be prepared for it.

That said, I don't mind having a pup shipped to me at all. It's best to talk to others who have met the breeder though, as websites and pictures can be decieving. I've met WAAAY to many breeders whose websites are lovely and show off an amazing, healthy, sound breeding program, only after meeting them I've realised this was not true.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

You can contact this breeder and I am sure she can give you any info you need on finding a Rottweiler in your area, or even out of area.
http://redyrerottweilers.bravehost.com/index.html

Here is an excellent breeder that may be able to point you in the right direction as well.
http://www.esmondrott.com/

And one more, she has a litter now but I am not sure if all are spoken for as of yet.
http://phoenixrottweilers.com/Rottweilers.html

Just a note. The breeders listed above have a great love of the breed. If they do not currently have a litter available I am sure they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. A breeder that truly cares for their chosen breed enjoys educating others and helping them find the right dog rather than resort to looking in the newspaper or just random websites.

Sadly there have been cases where OFA, CERF, or other documents are being "made" by breeders with false information. That is one of the reasons it is important to get involved with a Rottweiler club in your area. You get to know who is who. Also, there are plenty of good Code of Ethics breeders in you area, within a days drive at the most.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

One more thing. The first link I posted is for RedyreRottweilers. She does all health testing and shows before breeding. She has mentioned before her dogs will be sold for about $800. So, you don't have to spend $2000 to get a dog from a ethical breeder.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Puppy Dog

^^Thanks, i actually got her website yesterday from someone, i just keep forgeting to check it out from home..

Fran-I picked them because A. there both in NY and B. On pets4you.com it says

Rosebaker.com-Health and hips guaranteed. USRC and AKC registered

cornucopia.com- OFA Excellent. Reserve early. Code of Ethics Breeder. AKC, OFA.

So i thought they sounded like a good place. I figured, i would check with you guys, and of course, i would read the contract before hand. I think i will e-mail them both tonight and post up the contracts and whatever else they tell me.